Author Topic: Europe 'must adapt on climate'  (Read 336 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Europe 'must adapt on climate'
« on: August 18, 2004, 05:04:16 AM »
Europe 'must adapt on climate'
By Alex Kirby
BBC News Online environment correspondent 

Europeans must learn how to live with a changing climate as well as seeking to limit its effects by cutting emissions, the European Environment Agency says.
An EEA report, Impacts of Europe's changing climate, says fewer than 50 years remain to act against the threat.

It says melting meant Europe's glaciers lost a tenth of their mass last year, and harvests fell by almost a third.

The EEA says the climate change under way now probably exceeds all natural climate variation for a thousand years.

Warmer in Europe

The report brings together existing knowledge about how the climate is changing, and highlights some pointers of particular concern to Europe.

If we go on as we are, we have less than 50 years before we encounter conditions which will be uncharted and potentially hazardous
Professor Jacqueline McGlade, EEA 

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change suggests the global average temperature could on present trends be from 1.4 to 5.8C warmer in 2100 than in 1990.
The EEA says the comparable temperature increase for Europe is between 2 and 6.3C.

It says the 2003 heatwave caused melting which reduced the mass of the Alpine glaciers by 10%, and harvests in many southern countries were down by as much as 30%.

The European Union says the world should act to try to prevent temperatures rising more than 2C above their 1990 level, an increase which it regards as the highest sustainable level.
The report says: "On present trends this target is likely to be exceeded around 2050."

The EEA's executive director, Professor Jacqueline McGlade, said: "This report pulls together a wealth of evidence that climate change is already happening and having widespread impacts, many of them with substantial economic costs, on people and ecosystems across Europe.

"Europe has to continue to lead worldwide efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but this report also underlines that strategies are needed, at European, regional, national and local level, to adapt to climate change."

The clock is ticking

Professor McGlade told BBC News Online: "This is the first time we've called specifically for Europe to adapt, but we're not minimising the Kyoto Protocol process. We remain committed to the need to cut emissions.

"What the report shows is that, if we go on as we are, we have less than 50 years before we encounter conditions which will be uncharted and potentially hazardous."

The report says:

by 2050, about 75% of the glaciers in the Swiss Alps will probably have disappeared
at sea, there has been a northward shift of zooplankton species over the last 30 years by up to 1,000 km (625 miles)
projections suggest annual river discharge will decline strongly in southern and south-eastern Europe, but increase almost everywhere in the north and north-east of the continent
cases of encephalitis carried by ticks, and associated with a warming climate, increased from 1980 to 1995 in the Baltic region and central Europe, and remain high.
The report says human activities have raised the atmospheric concentration of one of the main greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide, to 34% above its pre-industrial level.
Up not down

To achieve the EU's goal of limiting the temperature rise to 2C by 2100, it says, global greenhouse emissions "need to be reduced substantially".

But it says: "Due to ongoing emissions of greenhouse gases, the observed rise in global temperature is expected to continue and increase during the 21st Century."
The EEA underlines the very long time it would take to slow the rate of climate change, because of the longevity of many gases.

It says: "There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities.

"Even if society substantially reduces its emissions of greenhouse gases over the coming decades, the climate system would continue to change over the coming centuries."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/3570602.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Europe 'must adapt on climate'
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 05:26:36 AM »
just because Americans support pollution like they support genocide, we have to suffer. How great is that?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

eS El Duque

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »
just because Americans support pollution like they support genocide, we have to suffer. How great is that?

OWNAGE BIATCH  ;D

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:26:34 AM »

It's not all America's fault, Russia, France, England, Japan, and many 3rd World nations have pollutated just as much, if not more, than us. We get noticed though because right now our president don't give a fuck about the environment. So it's just who to blame at the moment. Honestly, it's a all of our faults.

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 08:55:13 PM »
This entire thread is bullshit.  Sure, pollution should be eliminated, but ultimately, it's extremly arrogant to think that we as humans have the power to change the entire climate of the earth. 

The climate of the earth is changing, because it changes.  We can't stop it, we can't even affect it.  It's been warming and cooling since it's existance.  In the 70's, newsweek was going around bitching about "Global Cooling".  Now everybody's on about "Global Warming". 

What I'm on about is, "It's the earth and it's much fuckin' bigger than me, I have no say over whether it wants to get hotter or colder"

If the earth gets warm and melts the ice caps, blah blah blah, it'll be the end of us.  We can't stop or change that, it's nature.  It's far, far greater than us. 

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 12:08:04 AM »
trauma your just ingnorant or are you just some pro pollution pr man? the ice caps are melting at an alarming rate and their is very strong evidence that it is a result of polution and we are already seeing the effects of it.

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

mauzip

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 04:46:49 AM »
This entire thread is bullshit.  Sure, pollution should be eliminated, but ultimately, it's extremly arrogant to think that we as humans have the power to change the entire climate of the earth. 

The climate of the earth is changing, because it changes.  We can't stop it, we can't even affect it.  It's been warming and cooling since it's existance.  In the 70's, newsweek was going around bitching about "Global Cooling".  Now everybody's on about "Global Warming". 

What I'm on about is, "It's the earth and it's much fuckin' bigger than me, I have no say over whether it wants to get hotter or colder"

If the earth gets warm and melts the ice caps, blah blah blah, it'll be the end of us.  We can't stop or change that, it's nature.  It's far, far greater than us. 

I hope this post is a joke :-\

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 06:14:56 AM »
No, it's not a joke, it's the truth, and you're arrogant to think we as nothing more than glorified ants in the global scheme of things have the power to change the earth's climate.  I guess American Polution killed the dinosaurs, too, heh? 

mauzip

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 08:28:33 AM »
No, it's not a joke, it's the truth, and you're arrogant to think we as nothing more than glorified ants in the global scheme of things have the power to change the earth's climate.  I guess American Polution killed the dinosaurs, too, heh? 

i never stated it's only america's to blame for this

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:06:03 AM »
The Ice Caps are gonna PWN Europe

1337 Ice Caps!

And I agree with Trauma's thing about us not being able to change too much but I also believe it wont hurt to cut back the pollution, if its bound to happen its gonna happen and theres noting we can do

-KIDRENEGADE-

eS El Duque

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 12:51:01 PM »

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 04:14:11 PM »
The Ice Caps are gonna PWN Europe

1337 Ice Caps!

And I agree with Trauma's thing about us not being able to change too much but I also believe it wont hurt to cut back the pollution, if its bound to happen its gonna happen and theres noting we can do

Yeah, I'm not saying we shouldn't cut back pollution.  We should eliminate pollution.  What I'm saying is, we shouldn't think we're going to eradicate the world's climate because of our pollution.  Go out into the woods where there's been an old house or something that's been abandoned.  You'll see trees and shit growing up through it, and the house collapsing.  Nature itself is much more powerful than anything we'll ever leave behind.

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 06:32:53 PM »
We've only been monitoring weather patterns for a little over 100 years, correct?

If that's the case, who knows whether these weather patterns are a part of a cycle that spans longer than our lifetime or if it really is an issue.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 09:32:27 PM »
^^ These same scientists will tell you that the earth has been 'warming' for thousands of years or more.  The thermometer was invented, whut, 200 years ago? LOL The whole thing is hysterical.  I think the 'scientific' community that's ususally going on about this shit just wants to sound usefull. 

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 12:38:37 AM »
The ice caps tell us what the weather has been like for thousands of years as new layers get added each year. explain me this trauma if u think were so inneffective of being able to change the climate explain why london is normally hotter than places just near it? it because of the pollution and thats just local when it rises it creates acid rain etc. and i don'/t find it unplausable its fucking withour atmosphere, if it reaches the ionosphere its likely to charge them in some way too. bottom line pollution is bad you can die if u inhale too much, we've seen what happens to sealife when pumped into the seas or rivers ice caps are melting much much faster than they ust to we would be silly to ignore that and find out later these scientist were right and you trauma were wrong. what would be your answer then when its too late? and who knows what unkowns there as with lots of human activity we are capably of coming up with new ways to get diseases luckily for us medical knowledge is growing faster but we do come up with some horrifying deformations.