Poll

Are all cultures equal

No, some cultures are inferior
7 (50%)
Yes, all cultures are equal
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: August 30, 2004, 10:19:12 PM

Author Topic: Cultures all Equal?  (Read 866 times)

tommyilromano

Cultures all Equal?
« on: August 20, 2004, 10:19:12 PM »
I know you have heard liberals say all cultures are equal however; if they were why are there different results? Western accomplishments in science and technology as well as respect for human rights that is expressed in the constitution. American Indians were less accomplished because they didn't build anything as well as didn't invent nothing because before the arrival of the Europeans to America, this land was nothing along with other lands in various parts of the world. They as well as other peoples didn't have a respect for human rights and didn't understand it because it wasn't a part of their world view. To make this point offends many who believe in multiculturalism. Can you say that a culture is superior to another culture or is that arrogance? Or to believe in the multicultural view is being politically correct? Are some cures for diseases more important than others? Why that the Bushmen never developed civilization and to point that out and to suggest that their is something wrong with their culture is controversial or is there a different angle on this. Can you say that since capitalism developed in the west is there something wrong with the African culture? Is Western culture superior to Arabic culture? It is a fact that people in the West enjoy a higher standard of living. I would like your response in some detail...  8)

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
Re: Cultures all Equal?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:45:33 PM »
All cultures are equal.

All of them are the same fascinating thing and all of them have their own positive and negative points.

I don't believe so many of you (judging from the poll) seem to be under the impression some cultures ( western culture *cough cough*) are 'better' then others.

The very fact 'our' culture is the dominant one is no argument for superiority. As a rule,the most generalised things survive, and compared to other cultures many of our culture's characteristics are indeed mild. We haven't got extreme values about peaceful living, total-destruction of different cultures and such like many other cultures (used to) have. Tibetans are much more peaceful then we are and quite free of imperialism and will to change and dominate. This could be a powerful reason for saying their culture is in some way 'higher' developed just as in our case our medical achievements are. But no culture exceeds others in all aspects of development and thus no culture can be seen as superior.

We shouldn't forget to name coincedence as a factor complementing to the reason our culture is the dominant one. For example, hadn't the Chinese,who were building an empire in medieval times, stopped their imperialistic motives like they chose to, the situation might have been very different.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 02:52:53 PM by Z the laidback Virus »
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:54:04 PM »
All cultures are equal.

All of them are the same fascinating thing and all of them have their own positive and negative points.

I don't believe so many of you (judging from the poll) seem to be under the impression some cultures ( western culture *cough cough*) are 'better' then others.

The very fact 'our' culture is the dominant one is no argument for superiority. As a rule,the most generalised things survive, and compared to other cultures many of our culture's characteristics are indeed mild. We haven't got extreme values about peaceful living, total-destruction of different cultures and such like many other cultures (used to) have. Tibetans are much more peaceful then we are and quite free of imperialism and will to change and dominate. This could be a powerful reason for saying their culture is in some way 'higher' developed just as in our case our medical achievements are. But no culture exceeds others in all aspects of development and thus no culture can be seen as superior.

We shouldn't forget to name coincedence as a factor complementing to the reason our culture is the dominant one. For example, hadn't the Chinese,who were building an empire in medieval times, stopped their imperialistic motives like they chose to, the situation might have been very different.

Co-Sign, i picked equality

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 02:57:47 PM »
The very fact 'our' culture is the dominant one is no argument for superiority.

That's all you had to say, man
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

infinite59

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 03:05:01 PM »
I know you have heard liberals say all cultures are equal however; if they were why are there different results? Western accomplishments in science and technology as well as respect for human rights that is expressed in the constitution. American Indians were less accomplished because they didn't build anything as well as didn't invent nothing because before the arrival of the Europeans to America, this land was nothing along with other lands in various parts of the world. They as well as other peoples didn't have a respect for human rights and didn't understand it because it wasn't a part of their world view. To make this point offends many who believe in multiculturalism. Can you say that a culture is superior to another culture or is that arrogance? Or to believe in the multicultural view is being politically correct? Are some cures for diseases more important than others? Why that the Bushmen never developed civilization and to point that out and to suggest that their is something wrong with their culture is controversial or is there a different angle on this. Can you say that since capitalism developed in the west is there something wrong with the African culture? Is Western culture superior to Arabic culture? It is a fact that people in the West enjoy a higher standard of living. I would like your response in some detail...  8)

America is the biggest human rights violator in the world.  The country was founded in genocide.  They first massacred a Nation of Native Americans.  Then they progressed on the backs of African slaves.  Today, they are advancing through a military industry that probably just killed another 100 or so people today, this week, and it continues.  100's of thousands have died in Central America and Asia because of the United States, and the United States is the only country to have used Nuclear Weapons.

The difference is, that when the Islamic cutlure riegned supreme in the middle ages, none of the technology they developed was harmful to the enviroment.  It was through Muslim Spain, that the rest of Europe climbed out of the dark ages.  Out of Muslim Spain came much of the good technology and sciences that the world is still running on today.  Muslims discovered gravity long before Newton, Muslims invented Algebra (Al-Jabeer), the number zero, advanced in chemistry, named many of the stars during advances in astrology, invented the compass, had the first map of the world as we know it today, and on and on and on.  If the Islamic culture, with it's hieghts reaching to Western Spain, had developed Nuclear Energy, they would have used it to provide Energy to all the people living without basic life resources, they would not have used it to drop atomic weapons on Japan and threaten countries around the world.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 03:09:35 PM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »
No, all cultures are not equal.  All people are equal, however.  America is obviously a superior culture over others that don't have the freedoms we have, etc. 

All people are equal from birth, however.  A black child born in L'cote D'Voire is just as important, special, and has as much potential as the children that will be born to me.  As a result of our cultures, however, my child will probably have more opportunities, since our culture is generally superior. 

infinite59

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 03:30:02 PM »
No, all cultures are not equal.  All people are equal, however.  America is obviously a superior culture over others that don't have the freedoms we have, etc. 

All people are equal from birth, however.  A black child born in L'cote D'Voire is just as important, special, and has as much potential as the children that will be born to me.  As a result of our cultures, however, my child will probably have more opportunities, since our culture is generally superior. 

That contradicts your previous statement you made about an American soldier dying being 10,000 or so times worse than someone else dying.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 03:32:12 PM »

That contradicts your previous statement you made about an American soldier dying being 10,000 or so times worse than someone else dying.

No it doesn't.  It just shows you have no clue what the fuck I'm talking about, and can't comprehend discussions on my level of intellect. 

mauzip

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 03:33:53 PM »

True talk. For the ones that are not with me in this one:

There are many cultures where women do not have equal rights as men and 13 year old girls get babies because in that culture people think you need to get as many children as you can. Therefore men of all ages fuck girls who just had their first period.

Montana00

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 04:30:38 PM »
Of course all cultures arent equal.

Jome

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 06:14:09 PM »
America is obviously a superior culture over others that don't have the freedoms we have, etc. 

???

Who do you consider "others".. ??

infinite59

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 07:01:17 PM »

True talk. For the ones that are not with me in this one:

There are many cultures where women do not have equal rights as men and 13 year old girls get babies because in that culture people think you need to get as many children as you can. Therefore men of all ages fuck girls who just had their first period.

So your saying that doesn't happen in America, right?  13 year old women aren't having sex and having babies in America, is that what your saying?

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 08:33:39 PM »
Equal, no, but similar, yes.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

tommyilromano

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 09:12:11 PM »
First, I am not American. I am Sicilian/Castilian and this is not about America this is about the shared culture of the West in general and there are parallels. In this world the strong survive. Also it was through Muslim Spain anything was accomplished it was through Roman Catholic Spain and the other Latin European peoples. While it is true Arabic culture was dominant long ago that all came to an end after the Mongols conquered them and changed them forever. Like I said the strong survive and prosper.

If you honestly believe Islam, which is a religion not a culture, would have used Nuclear energy for all good you are mistaken. While there is no way to know for certain since it didn't happen the fundamentalism that goes hand in hand with Islam allows me to make my assumption. Also stop talking about Islam as if it is one unified people it isn't. I currently live in Turkey and I can tell you Turkish Muslims are nothing like those who live in Saudi Arabia or Iran. They are more like western Christians (semi-religious) then the hard-core stock that comes from further south. Also, even the fundis are identical because there is the Shiates and the Sunnis. Islam isn't unified so stop speaking as if it is.

America is the biggest human rights violator in the world.  The country was founded in genocide.  They first massacred a Nation of Native Americans.  Then they progressed on the backs of African slaves.  Today, they are advancing through a military industry that probably just killed another 100 or so people today, this week, and it continues.  100's of thousands have died in Central America and Asia because of the United States, and the United States is the only country to have used Nuclear Weapons.

The difference is, that when the Islamic cutlure riegned supreme in the middle ages, none of the technology they developed was harmful to the enviroment.  It was through Muslim Spain, that the rest of Europe climbed out of the dark ages.  Out of Muslim Spain came much of the good technology and sciences that the world is still running on today.  Muslims discovered gravity long before Newton, Muslims invented Algebra (Al-Jabeer), the number zero, advanced in chemistry, named many of the stars during advances in astrology, invented the compass, had the first map of the world as we know it today, and on and on and on.  If the Islamic culture, with it's hieghts reaching to Western Spain, had developed Nuclear Energy, they would have used it to provide Energy to all the people living without basic life resources, they would not have used it to drop atomic weapons on Japan and threaten countries around the world.

tommyilromano

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 09:13:21 PM »
Agreed