Author Topic: Military records support Kerry's account of Vietnam service  (Read 501 times)

Trauma-san

Military records support Kerry's account of Vietnam service
« on: August 21, 2004, 03:20:57 PM »
Military records support Kerry's account of Vietnam service

BY Joseph L. Galloway

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Military records back John Kerry's account of his service in Vietnam and have backed at least two of his accusers into a corner.

Kerry this week was forced to defend himself against accusations by a group of fellow Navy veterans of Vietnam that he was a liar and a coward. The charges were made in a book and in an attack ad that polls show have chipped away at Kerry's standing with veterans in three critical states - West Virginia, Wisconsin and Ohio.

The long-ago Vietnam War has suddenly become a central issue in the presidential campaign. The attacks by the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth have called into account Kerry's conduct during the war, when he volunteered for one of the most dangerous duties - the so-called Brown Water Navy, which regularly penetrated Viet Cong-controlled territory via the maze of waterways in the sodden Mekong Delta.

Although the 15 veterans featured in the attack ad all state "I served with John Kerry," none of them served on the same boat with him. Those who did, such as retired Chief Petty Officer Del Sandusky, 60, of Clearwater, Fla., praise Kerry for his leadership and credit him with keeping them alive to make it home.

"We are really upset at this stuff," Sandusky told Knight Ridder. "They are calling us all liars. They dishonor us and they dishonor all those who died over there. They are getting awfully desperate. Last year many of them were on board with us. Now they are telling outrageous lies."

Kerry has said that members of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth lied when they said he inflated his role in various combat actions in the Mekong Delta in 1968 and 1969 and had manipulated the award of three Purple Heart medals for wounds and Bronze and Silver Star medals for valor in combat.

Kerry released a stack of his military records - including after-action reports, citations for his medals, boat battle damage reports and his officer efficiency reports. These records - and the military records of at least one of his accusers - cast serious doubt on some of the more inflammatory charges raised by the group.

It didn't help the cause of the Swift Boat Veterans group that some of them, including their leader, retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffman, were on the record praising Kerry for his service in Vietnam.

Kerry's commanding officer in Vietnam, George Elliott, said in an attack ad: "John Kerry has not been honest about what happened in Vietnam."

But during the Vietnam War, Elliott recommended Kerry for the Silver and Bronze Star medals for valor in combat and gave him the highest possible praise in his officer efficiency reports.

"In a combat environment often requiring independent, decisive action, LTjg Kerry was unsurpassed," Elliott wrote in 1969. He went on to rate Kerry as "calm, professional and highly courageous in the face of enemy fire."

Elliott added: "(Kerry) emerges as the acknowledged leader in his peer group." In 16 categories on Kerry's officer efficiency report, ranging from professional knowledge to moral courage to military bearing to reliability, Elliott gave Kerry the highest possible rating - "is not exceeded" - in 11 categories, and the second highest, "one of the top 10" in five other categories.

Elliott in 1996 supported Kerry in his re-election campaign for the Senate and during an appearance in Boston declared that Kerry had earned the Silver Star "for an act of courage."

Another critic, Larry Thurlow, a fellow Swift boat commander in the Mekong Delta in 1969, disputed Kerry's claim that his boat and others in the five-boat patrol came under enemy fire during a March 13, 1969, mission that earned Kerry a Bronze Star.

Thurlow said that although one of the Swift boats was disabled by a mine explosion, there was no enemy fire from shore, as Kerry and others testified, and that Kerry's account was "a total fabrication." Thurlow said in an affidavit: "I never heard a shot."

However, a citation for the Bronze Star with valor awarded to Thurlow for that same mission stated that his actions "took place under constant enemy small arms fire which (Thurlow) completely ignored" while he provided assistance to the damaged Swift boat and the wounded aboard.

Thurlow said he had lost his medal citation for that incident over two decades ago and stood by his account that there was no enemy fire at the time.

His account was further called into question by a battle damage assessment report on another Swift boat, PCF-51, involved in the March 13 action. The report listed three .30-caliber bullet holes in the superstructure of the 50-foot patrol boat.

The Swift boat veterans also have cast doubt on Kerry's account that a second mine explosion damaged his boat, PCF-94, and blew an Army Special Forces officer, Jim Rassmann, overboard. Kerry's Bronze Star was awarded for his rescue of Rassmann, who credited Kerry with saving his life.

Among the records was a battle damage report filed the following day, March 14, which stated that PCF-94 had three windows blown out, radios and radar inoperable, the boat's auxiliary generator inoperable, screws curled and chipped, aft helm steerage control not working. The boat was judged incapable of executing patrols without repairs.

In the TV ad Swift Boat veteran Adrian Lonsdale declared Kerry "lacks the capacity to lead." Yet he, too, appeared to support Kerry in 1996, saying of him: "He was among the finest of those Swift boat drivers."

In a month when the Democratic nominee had hoped to avoid running any ads to conserve funds for the final sprint this fall, Kerry strategists instead prepared to spend nearly $200,000 responding to the attack ads of the veterans group in key states.

The bulk of the funding for the Swift Boat veterans' group comes from wealthy Texas Republicans.

A new ad was scheduled to begin running shortly, focusing this time on Kerry's testimony against the Vietnam War in 1971.

infinite59

Re: Military records support Kerry's account of Vietnam service
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:28:22 PM »
I don't know why Kerry serving in Vietnam is such a big deal.  We attacked a poor, little country, that had done nothing to us.  In my opinion, service in Vietnam would not be something to brag about.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 03:31:24 PM »
That's because you have absolutely no definition of respect, loyalty, courage, or any idea of commitment.  I don't like John Kerry's policies, and I don't have a positive view of the Vietnam War, but his service there is something to be extremely proud of.  You wouldn't know anything about that, however.

infinite59

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 03:33:16 PM »
That's because you have absolutely no definition of respect, loyalty, courage, or any idea of commitment.  I don't like John Kerry's policies, and I don't have a positive view of the Vietnam War, but his service there is something to be extremely proud of.  You wouldn't know anything about that, however.

You just admitted the war was morally wrong, so please tell me why it is good that he fought and killed in Vietnam.  And are you a Christian, what would Jesus say about killing someone in a War, that had done nothing to you, or your people?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 05:30:42 PM »
I am against the Iraq War, but in 30 years, if any of the soldiers runs for public office, I would look at service as a plus in times of war, because if we have a war time like Bush says, I think it is better to have someone who has served in war, because they know war, and can relate to the soldiers. The soldiers need someone who would lead them into another Vietnam. Vietnam was a war that we fought for the south, but in the end we lost. I don't see myself agreeing with it back in the 60's, but I don't hold that against the soldiers, in fact I hold that as a plus because the soldiers were willing to put their lives on the line for our country, like my father, and that is something have shown I am not willing to do, so it should matter if a person who runs does such a thing. Someone like Clinton, and Bush, yeah, they won elections, but in time of war, military time I think is very important.

infinite59

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 07:06:18 PM »
I am against the Iraq War, but in 30 years, if any of the soldiers runs for public office, I would look at service as a plus in times of war, because if we have a war time like Bush says, I think it is better to have someone who has served in war, because they know war, and can relate to the soldiers. The soldiers need someone who would lead them into another Vietnam. Vietnam was a war that we fought for the south, but in the end we lost. I don't see myself agreeing with it back in the 60's, but I don't hold that against the soldiers, in fact I hold that as a plus because the soldiers were willing to put their lives on the line for our country, like my father, and that is something have shown I am not willing to do, so it should matter if a person who runs does such a thing. Someone like Clinton, and Bush, yeah, they won elections, but in time of war, military time I think is very important.

MDogg.  I got respect for you.  Just asking a question.  As a Christian, how can you "hold it as a plus" the killing of the North Vietnamese, considering they had never attacked or done anything to any American's?  Are you saying you put the flag of your country above the Cross?

infinite59

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 07:07:52 PM »
Although i'm honestly tired of hearing about his war record, he does have a honorable record. Granted getting purple hearts is pointless, the stars are worth recieving. On the other hand, i dont think you should base a vote by how he served during war. Clinton was an example that you shouldnt base your vote on their military record (bush for that fact).

I wouldnt go far in saying the vietnam war was morally wrong, but it was a lost cause. The north eventually took over the south when we pulled out anyway.

How can you say the Vietnam war wasn't morally wrong?  We laid siege on a country and people that had never attacked or done anything to us!

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 10:15:03 PM »

MDogg.  I got respect for you.  Just asking a question.  As a Christian, how can you "hold it as a plus" the killing of the North Vietnamese, considering they had never attacked or done anything to any American's?  Are you saying you put the flag of your country above the Cross?

I don't look at killing at all as a plus. But, I think someone that has been through war, any war, for his country is better suited to determain if we should go to war or not, as oppose to someone who does not know what war is like, and uses war as a political tool. Someone like John F. Kennedy, who was a World War II hero, had been through war, managed to aviod a war with Cuba because he knew the impact of war. Someone like John Kerry, he served in Vietnam, and then came back and protested the war. He saw war, he served his country, and then came to the conclusion that infact the war in Vietnam was wrong, and protested it. I see that as a plus, as oppose to a person that has never seen war, and then calls himself a wartime president, not knowing the mess he is putting the soldiers he leads into.

And I don't put no form of anything over the cross. I seperate what goes on in government and what goes on in religion. My father got married to my mother in Las Vegas, and they came back to California and went to the Catholic church, and the priest flat out said, the church does not recognize your marriage. That tells me right there, that what the government does, does not concern the church, therefore does not concern me. I take religion as I am God's soldier, and my job is to help carry the religion, and when people ask, I pray they find the truth. I know only two things in life that are true, God exist, and I am not God. I am still looking for the whole truth myself, so I pray for others. But what the government does, since we live in a sort of democracy, I vote the way I feel the government should be. But when things like homosexual marriage, and abortians, I don't worry about them, because the church does not recognize them therefore I don't recognize them. The choices those people made are up to them and God, and I pray for their forgiveness. Honestly, I put the church in higher regards than the government.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 06:30:29 PM »

Thats why we got Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfield, and all of our gererals. When it comes to War and Terriosm, we got some tough mutherfuckers on the adminstration.

eS El Duque

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 07:28:20 PM »

Thats why we got Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfield, and all of our gererals. When it comes to War and Terriosm, we got some tough mutherfuckers on the adminstration.

and they did a swell job!

Montana00

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 07:52:31 PM »
Please explain to me what makes rumsfeld and cheney "tough muthafuckers"?

They are tough because they invade two defenseless countries with the largest army in the world?

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 07:59:14 PM »

Yea they have, and there not over yet!

Here are SOME reasons why:

1. We haven't had a terrorist attack on our soil since 9/11.
2. We have gotten rid of 2/3rds of Al Quada.
3. We removed the Brutal Dictator Saddam Hussein.
4. Iraq has became an ally with us on the war against terrorism and have became a stable country with a democracy.
5. We have removed the evil Taliban Government in Afghanistan, and now Afghanistan is an ally against terrorism.

ECT...

Montana00

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 08:03:54 PM »

That has got to be the dumbest comment ever spoken.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 08:28:35 PM »

Yea they have, and there not over yet!

Here are SOME reasons why:

2. We have gotten rid of 2/3rds of Al Quada.
3. We removed the Brutal Dictator Saddam Hussein.
4. Iraq has became an ally with us on the war against terrorism and have became a stable country with a democracy.
5. We have removed the evil Taliban Government in Afghanistan, and now Afghanistan is an ally against terrorism.

ECT...
u sure about that?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 08:37:05 PM »

Cheney was never in the military. Rumsfield has dropped the ball. The only person that I would trust with this war in Bush's side is Powell, and he has been very silent since they found no weapons. I expect a tell all book from him someday... lol... and Bush wouldn't be praised.