Poll

Would you rather live in a diverse area or an area with only your people?

A Diverse Area
14 (66.7%)
An area with your race/nationality
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: A poll just out of curiosity...  (Read 1441 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: A poll just out of curiosity...
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 06:25:34 PM »
However, correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't many Sri Lankens, if any at all, in New York, and not too many Somolians. We have the foriegn language signs on stores here too.

I can honestly say that I have no idea what in the world a Sri Lankan is (nor do I really want to find out).

Well I 'll tell you anyway. Sri Lanaka is a war torn country in Asia, near India. Sri Lankan people are very dark skinnined and the ones around here have a rather large asppreciation for Reggae music, the new Reggae. You know the dance hall stuff like Sean Paul. There is a very large population of them in Toronto. Percentage wise it's probably like the amount of Latinos in some US cities. They are also known as Tamils, for their religion I think, and many (but not most) are involved in crime. The Tamil Tigers is a militia in Sri Lanka that attempts to over throw the government there, or something like that, and many of it's members came here and continued their criminal ways, recruiting younger teens into their gangs.

Well from that description I sure as hell don't want any Sri Lankans living by me. Let the Sri Lankans live in Sri Lanka!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »
However, correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't many Sri Lankens, if any at all, in New York, and not too many Somolians. We have the foriegn language signs on stores here too.

I can honestly say that I have no idea what in the world a Sri Lankan is (nor do I really want to find out).

Well I 'll tell you anyway. Sri Lanaka is a war torn country in Asia, near India. Sri Lankan people are very dark skinnined and the ones around here have a rather large asppreciation for Reggae music, the new Reggae. You know the dance hall stuff like Sean Paul. There is a very large population of them in Toronto. Percentage wise it's probably like the amount of Latinos in some US cities. They are also known as Tamils, for their religion I think, and many (but not most) are involved in crime. The Tamil Tigers is a militia in Sri Lanka that attempts to over throw the government there, or something like that, and many of it's members came here and continued their criminal ways, recruiting younger teens into their gangs.

yea we got sri lanakans in queens.  we dont have a large neighborhood of them in queens tho.  Im not sure of the BK n the bronx tho.  But ive heard the ones in Tdot are crazy in the streets.

They certainly aren't to be taken lightly. Based on the military training of the older ones, I'd say they're more dangerous than most (if not all) black gangs. Of Course I don't know how they'd stack up against the guy in in your sig. He was a pretty serious guy in his day. Italians pretty much control the docks around here and have a lot to do with how the Biker's conduct themselves, but the Tamils have their little peice of the pie too.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 06:30:17 PM »

Well from that description I sure as hell don't want any Sri Lankans living by me. Let the Sri Lankans live in Sri Lanka!

That's no way to look at things. I'm sure far enough down the line you come from immigrants too. Besides most of them are normal law abiding citizens that cause no problems. Much like Blacks or Sicilians, it's the minority of trouble makers that leave a bad image of the rest of them

tommyilromano

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 08:11:55 PM »
I would prefer a place where everyone has the same culture or a culture very similar to mine. I grew up mostly in Messina, Italy and Barcelona, Spain but I also lived in the US and right now I am living in Turkey. Turkey isn't too bad because the culture is Mediterranean culture but I never could get used to the US but I didn't mind San Antonio when I lived there I felt sorta at home there.

tommyilromano

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 08:17:54 PM »
It certainly isn't any city in Turkey... I haven't seen one black person (who isn't from an American military base) and I have been here around 5 months and traveled a good portion of the country. Ethnic here is being a kurd and they look just like the turks.

I just did a search for the most diverse place in the world (because I thought Vancouver was), and the results I got were, (in no order), Queens, San Franciso, Sacramento, Toronto and Vancouver.  So I dunno.

tommyilromano

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 08:20:23 PM »
How is that racist? I mean if he prefers to live with his own people then that is his preference. You can't force diversity on people. There are people from every race who prefer to live with their own people. Don't be ignorant.

^do u know ur racist, or are u in denial?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 08:56:59 PM »
^do u know ur racist, or are u in denial?

how is that racist. If a black man or spanish guy said you wouldnt think twice about it.
no.. if a black man said i dont wana live with these whites, id take it offensivly

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2004, 12:44:14 AM »
I have learned more living in the LA area, with blacks, latinos, islanders, asians and of course whites, than I did living the great white north of Minnesota. So with that, I'll take diversity anyday. I also live in a neighborhood that's highly diverse in San Bernardino, yeah, go figure because we all mixed in this area... lol. It's easier to get along I think, because race is not an issue no more for people, were as even in places of California that are self segrated, race is huge, and same with Minnesota. Once people begin moving in and becoming neighbors, then race is more second thought. And it's cool when I ride the bus, and I see old white guys and black guys talking like old friends. I think California is the starting point of good racial relations. Now I don't think it's perfect, far from it, but it's moving in the right direction, and many other states are becoming more diverse. We'll see what happens.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 03:24:19 AM »
Yeah I figured you were but some may have taken it literally. There is a large Gay community here though. They have this big parade every year. But it isn't that big. I've lived here 22 years and I don't know one openly gay person, personally. There are a lot of bisexual girls here and there that I know but I think it's a phase they go through. The media shows lesbianism as being a lot cooler than homosexuality. I know a lot of girls that have tried it or at the very least thought about doing it. I can personally say it was never on any of my to do lists. I'm not a homophobe but I can't control th cringe in my spine evertime I think about it.

I believe all (or at least most) girls in the world are bisexual; some just keep to themselves... I've been able to get that out of almost every girl I've ever known. 8)

mauzip

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2004, 04:01:02 AM »

Well I 'll tell you anyway. Sri Lanka is a war torn country in Asia, near India.

It's more like an independant province of India.

tommyilromano

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2004, 05:11:27 AM »

Well I 'll tell you anyway. Sri Lanka is a war torn country in Asia, near India.

I didn't think India really had anything to do with Sri Lanka? I mean I know the Tamils have their roots from India way back long ago but the majority is sihlinese or however you spell that.

mauzip

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2004, 05:36:31 AM »

I didn't think India really had anything to do with Sri Lanka? I mean I know the Tamils have their roots from India way back long ago but the majority is sihlinese or however you spell that.

You can compare it with Hong Kong.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2004, 08:21:20 AM »
Yeah I figured you were but some may have taken it literally. There is a large Gay community here though. They have this big parade every year. But it isn't that big. I've lived here 22 years and I don't know one openly gay person, personally. There are a lot of bisexual girls here and there that I know but I think it's a phase they go through. The media shows lesbianism as being a lot cooler than homosexuality. I know a lot of girls that have tried it or at the very least thought about doing it. I can personally say it was never on any of my to do lists. I'm not a homophobe but I can't control th cringe in my spine evertime I think about it.

I believe all (or at least most) girls in the world are bisexual; some just keep to themselves... I've been able to get that out of almost every girl I've ever known. 8)

When you say that do you mean you've gotten them to tell you they are, or you've gotten them to perform acts of lesbianism? Big difference. Personally, to each his own (or her own in this case), but I always felt it has a lot to do with how society and the media present it. If TV and movies over the next 25 years were to portray homo-erotic behaviour between two guys as cool or arousing, I'd bet that you'd see a lot of guys try it out of curiosity. Girls see that all the time in commercials and movies. It becomes acceptable. The "all men are dogs" theory helps them get closer. I actually know one girl that puposely used that to fuck other girls. She was like an evil demon ruining the lives of young girls everywhere. Seriously though, she didn't want to pursue a lengthy relationship or anything, she had a boyfriend. She just didn't like being treated as inferior so she took it upon herself to be the loser guy that goes around fucking girls and then never seeing them again. I guess it gave her power. It turned around on her though. One girl became obsessed with her and it turned into this whole stalking scenario. I think it's still going on. Serves her right.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2004, 02:33:45 PM »

When you say that do you mean you've gotten them to tell you they are, or you've gotten them to perform acts of lesbianism? Big difference. Personally, to each his own (or her own in this case), but I always felt it has a lot to do with how society and the media present it. If TV and movies over the next 25 years were to portray homo-erotic behaviour between two guys as cool or arousing, I'd bet that you'd see a lot of guys try it out of curiosity. Girls see that all the time in commercials and movies. It becomes acceptable. The "all men are dogs" theory helps them get closer. I actually know one girl that puposely used that to fuck other girls. She was like an evil demon ruining the lives of young girls everywhere. Seriously though, she didn't want to pursue a lengthy relationship or anything, she had a boyfriend. She just didn't like being treated as inferior so she took it upon herself to be the loser guy that goes around fucking girls and then never seeing them again. I guess it gave her power. It turned around on her though. One girl became obsessed with her and it turned into this whole stalking scenario. I think it's still going on. Serves her right.

I don't even think it's a media thing anymore, even thought the media does play a role in female bisexuality...If you just see girls on the streets, they're always checking out other girls...It comes natural. The way girls are portrayed as beautiful and desirable in our society makes other girls appreciate and want their beauty in more ways than one...Two girls will and always has been a sexy and delicate thing...Two big/hairy men on top of eachother is viewed as disgusting and unsexy...It's just something I've learned from experience with girls.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2004, 02:53:57 PM »

I don't even think it's a media thing anymore, even thought the media does play a role in female bisexuality...If you just see girls on the streets, they're always checking out other girls...It comes natural. The way girls are portrayed as beautiful and desirable in our society makes other girls appreciate and want their beauty in more ways than one...Two girls will and always has been a sexy and delicate thing...Two big/hairy men on top of eachother is viewed as disgusting and unsexy...It's just something I've learned from experience with girls.

What I'm trying to say is that if movies and shit started doing shit like a sex scenes with two guys, and the girl in the movie getting aroused, I think it could start influencing the younger audience. Little boys well before hitting puberty become accustom to seeing two girls on one guy as a fantasy. Young girls don't see two guys on one girl, at least not in a positive light. It's usually a rape scene, not a sex scene. If there was a movie with Halle Berry having a threesome with Brad Pitt and Denzel Washington today it would not be seen as a complete fantasy for all girls, just like a 3 way with Humphrey Bogart fucking Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman 65 years ago would have been offensive to a lot of people, but over time it would catch on and become accepted by the female mind as something that is sexy. We may not see this as straight guys because when we see Brad Pitt topless or naked it doesn't mean shit to us, but to a girl that's a different story. I'm not going by on what I've told, I'm trying to logically figure it out. I could very well be wrong, but I don't exactly believe everthing I'm told by girls on what they think of things, because they lie to guys all the time. And people in general usually don't express what they truly feel, they say what thay think would be the best answer.