Poll

Are all cultures equal

No, some cultures are inferior
7 (50%)
Yes, all cultures are equal
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: August 30, 2004, 10:19:12 PM

Author Topic: Cultures all Equal?  (Read 861 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Cultures all Equal?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2004, 01:26:22 PM »
My roots, once again. My grandpa was a straight Aztec, or Mexica as they call themselves. He was 100%, out of the village indian, and he had all the features of someone that was 100% Mexica, or Aztec, whatever you want to call them. My other grandpa, Apache Indian from Arizona, but I don't know him that much, so I don't count his blood. My grandma, well she's mix for Native Mexican and Spanish, like most Mexicans. And my other grandma, she's Southern Piute from California.

Well put on some leather skins, get your peace-pipe out, dance around like a drugged up retard and have a blast!

my tribe did not have a peace pipe. That was the eastern tribes, they grew tobacco there. Over here, we had nothing of that sort. Depending on what tribe you talk about, there is different cultures. The Paiutes (the correct spelling... lol) they were peaceful traders and farmers. They were in the San Bernardino Valley, so they were the middlemen between the Indians from L.A., and the High Desert. They never had a war, ever in their tribes history. Eventually they were kicked off the land so Italians actually, can grow grapes and oranges. I still like Italians though, many of the great grandkids of the original Italians are cool as hell, and I don't blame them for the past, it just happened. Anyways, another part of me is Apache, which was the last tribe to stand against the Ameicans. Traditionally, they always fought against other tribes, basically as the best warriors this country has ever seen. They eventually gave up after other Apaches started turning to the U.S. after the U.S. promised them a better life. Of course the Apaches that worked for the U.S. would also be kicked to the reservation. The Aztec blood comes from one of the great empires the world has seen. The advances in math were second to none at the time. They knew when every eclipes would happen, and at the time, the Aztec calendar was more accerate than the basic European calendar, of course until they changed the calendar after they found out that 10 months as year was not cutting it. The other part of me is a mix of mainly indians from Mexico that was outside of the Aztec Empire, and alittle bit of Spanish that came. You can't go without having some Spanish blood, and there it is... lol. The indians there basically were just part of Spanish conquest, and the Spanish is me is very faith, as I'm still dark, but not as dark as my other grandparents or my father who are dark as hell.

Rain

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2004, 05:37:16 PM »
no culture is right or wrong - they all equal - just because Western Culture has somethings other cultures don't doesnt mean its necessarily superior - cultures dont all work toward the same things. cultures don't progress along a straight line so it is impossible for one to be ahead of another.
"We need to find courage, overcome
Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction"
- Faithless - Mass Destruction

"It's better to help people than garden gnomes."
- Amelie (2001)

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
- Franklin Roosevelt

"Power to the people, not the governments."
- Chuck D

"The possibility of physical and mental breakdown is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Raoul Duke

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2004, 07:35:20 PM »
the reason why some dudes think the western culture is superior is because of money. they think they are wealthier, have larger weapons, better equipped military - so their culture must be superior. but it's not.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Trauma-san

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2004, 08:54:20 PM »
That's one way of looking at it.  The wrong way... but one way.  LOL  I see now why yall are liberals.  You have no sense of reality.  It gives you visions of poppys and daisies to say things like "all cultures are equal, just misunderstood"... but it's just not true, lol.  Ironically, you're the same people that DON'T believe in God.  It's all quite contradictory, but whatever, you do you, and I'll do me. :)

mauzip

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2004, 08:59:16 PM »
the reason why some dudes think the western culture is superior is because of money. they think they are wealthier, have larger weapons, better equipped military - so their culture must be superior. but it's not.

I think you're wrong there, buddy... I gave a perfect example why I think Western culture is superior to certain other cultures to a certain extend.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 09:54:33 PM by All Mauzip Wants To Do Is RELAX... »

Trauma-san

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2004, 09:50:08 PM »
The problem with people like the sloth guy is that he looks for ways to convienently label people in his mind, so he can dismiss them, instead of  NOT holding a grudge, and evaluating their opinion on each matter as it comes up.  It *IS possible for someone you disagree with, to have an opinion you agree with on OTHER topics.  For instance, he wants to summarily assume that I think America is superior in every way to every other culture, and that's not true at all.  Then he tries to say it's money, or whatever... look, the ultimate answer is that it's irresponsible to think that all cultures are equal, that's just rediculous. 

For instance: Mexican, or a latino culture is much more centered around the family, and are much more respectful of marriage, and family ties than American culture.  So in that aspect, what dumbass would say that the two cultures are equal?  The latino culture is clearly superior in that aspect, and any fool could see it.  To say "No, they're equal" is just bullshit, when it's obvious they're not.

The REALLY bullshit thing is that I had to give an example of where the American culture ISN'T superior, or you all would have just dismissed it and said I think we're superior becuase of money, like this ass-clown just did. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2004, 10:20:42 PM »
As I said, the cultures are different, but people judge on different things. My friend and I, she's from Peru, we were talking about how in the United States it's fucked up that family isn't as important. But someone else will turn around and mention how the United States is more stable than Latin America. It's all different, different to the point where you have to say they are the same. Because there are 6 billion different people judging cultures different, who's standard do you use. Everyone will point to theirs as the best. Look at how quick I defended my culture. As for family, and marriage. That was there before Europeans too. In Aztec culture, any sex outside the marriage, wither adultry or phornication, then the people having sex would be kicked out the villiage. Marriage was always respected in our culture. That's just the way it has always been, and Catholism fit perfect to our already exsiting culture that it was easy to convert. But someone else well say the Greeks were better, and in terms of sex, they had sex with servents, sex with other peoples wives, sex with men, sex with little boys. Ancient Greek culture was a great culture, and it's compariable to Aztex because both were great powers of their region, and time. Who's better, I don't know, but both were greatly different. So there is no set way to judge cultures, just to study each culture as different.

tommyilromano

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 08:28:18 AM »
I am a proud latin.. I am talking about the shared culture of the West now after that once you dig deeper there are many things about American culture I dislike. The West has always dominated so to me that is proof of an overall level of dominance. Try not to take anything I say to personally as a am a huge hipocrit. My Fiancee is Arab so I guess when it comes down to it I am for any culture so long the girl is hot. I am and always will be proud of my latin roots and I will always be a pompous european but I am practical.

^^^lol... oh my God. As I said, over 66% of Natives were killed by disease that Europeans brought that were foreign to the Americas. I now know that no matter what I say, you would change your position, and you would listen, so I'll just say this to end my argument. Europeans perfected war. War to them was an artform. You being European have grown up with this idea, therefore you look at your people's victories dating back to Rome, all the way up to World War I, ignoring World War II... lol... and look with pride as your people win battle after battle, disregarding life. If that is how you base a superiour culture, well that's great. To me, a great culture advances in math, science, technology. When the Spanish came to the Americans, as I said, Cortez said no place in Europe compares to the cities in the Aztec/Mexica Empire. The advances that could have happen could have been great, but some societies are not interested in war and gold. What's foreign to you does not mean it's savage, or inferior. But you were not raised thinking in that matter, so I can't explain it to you, therefore I'll allow you to think as you do.

tommyilromano

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 08:32:55 AM »
At least you are knowledgable on your own culture. Most Americans couldnt tell you what they are... If you are Catholic you are cool in my book and I will leave you alone.. for now.. muhaha. Habla Castellano? Viva y deje vivo ... por ahora  ;D

As I said, the cultures are different, but people judge on different things. My friend and I, she's from Peru, we were talking about how in the United States it's fucked up that family isn't as important. But someone else will turn around and mention how the United States is more stable than Latin America. It's all different, different to the point where you have to say they are the same. Because there are 6 billion different people judging cultures different, who's standard do you use. Everyone will point to theirs as the best. Look at how quick I defended my culture. As for family, and marriage. That was there before Europeans too. In Aztec culture, any sex outside the marriage, wither adultry or phornication, then the people having sex would be kicked out the villiage. Marriage was always respected in our culture. That's just the way it has always been, and Catholism fit perfect to our already exsiting culture that it was easy to convert. But someone else well say the Greeks were better, and in terms of sex, they had sex with servents, sex with other peoples wives, sex with men, sex with little boys. Ancient Greek culture was a great culture, and it's compariable to Aztex because both were great powers of their region, and time. Who's better, I don't know, but both were greatly different. So there is no set way to judge cultures, just to study each culture as different.