Author Topic: Computer Upgrades  (Read 143 times)

Thirteen

Computer Upgrades
« on: August 29, 2004, 08:32:41 PM »
what's the best way to upgrade your computer? here's the specs i have now:

Sony PCV-RX860

2.4 Ghz P 4
512 Mb Ram
80 Gb hard drive
Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 4x (DVD)
Optical Drive ReWrite Speed  1x, 1x (DVD), 4x
Optical Drive Write Speed 2x (DVD), 2x, 2x (DVD), 2x (DVD), 8x (CD)

the main thing i don't like about this computer is the motherboard. it's a Sis 651 with 64 Mb of RAM automatically used by the internal video card....so when i try to use my ATI Radeon 9700, it fucks shit up

i really don't want to have to buy a new computer

The Watcher

Re: Computer Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 09:45:59 PM »
disabling the onboard video should make your radeon work ok. i have a SiS motherboard also, piece of shit! although i've got 6 computers
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Thirteen

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »
i tried looking for a way to disable but i can't seem to find one...and all the comapnies involved want to send me on a cirlce jerk...ati told me to contact sis because the motherboard is the problem, sis told me to contact sony because sony is the maker of the computer, sony told me to contact ati because the computer works fine until i put in the ati.....

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 10:03:53 PM »
How fast is a 4x Write DVD burner compared to that of a 52x Write CD Burner, how many bits do u burn per second on a DVD burner?

Montana00

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 09:40:17 AM »
Did you go into the bios to disable the video card?

It all depends on what kind of things you like to do. (Game, download music, etc)

If you burn cds often enough, then you should definetly buy a new CD burner. (i got a 48x and i love it.)

P4 motherboards (good ones) cost around 80-$100, if thats what you want. But all in all your system doesnt seem to be that bad.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 06:12:55 PM »
ram, get another 512.. itll be fast as fuck.. and will cost u like 60-70$

DAYUM

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 06:54:12 PM »
how do i get more memory and more RAM?

Thirteen

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 06:55:30 PM »
the BIOS doesn't let me disable the videocard, but sony finally gave me a patch that they said would work...hopefully they're not just trying to get me off their back

i want to get more RAM but i never see 512 sticks on sale, it's always the 256. if i saw 512 on sale i'd buy two and max out my RAM...another thing that sucked was when i was low on spendable income about 2 months ago i finally saw the Radeon 9800 pros on sale for $250  :'(

Thirteen

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 06:57:30 PM »
how do i get more memory and more RAM?

check to see which RAM is compatible with you computer by going to your computer's website and also find out what kind of hard drive you got in there, then just match up the specs and the things you buy will come with step by step instructions on how to install them

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 07:06:04 PM »
Hey man, I had the SAME exact problem you had, only I was trying to install a Radeon 9200SE (yeah, its a piece of junk, but its better than the onboard).

Heres what you do:

1) Go to My Computer.  Right click, and then click Properties.  When the window comes up, click the tab called "hardware".  Then, click on the button called "Device Manager".  Under "Display Adapters", you should see your Onboard Video, as well as your Radeon 9700 (if you've installed it).

2) Disable the Onboard Video, and then enable your Radeon 9700.

3) Shut down your computer.

4) Start up your computer.  If your monitor is hooked into the normal spot, it shouldn't display anything and it's light should be blinking.  Disconnect it from your motherboard, and connect it into your video card.

Voila, your done.  It took me a while to figure this out, since Compaq wouldn't help me b/c my comp was out of warranty.

The Watcher

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 08:13:30 PM »
most computers now have SDRAM, if you get a 512mb stick you should be okay. you dont need to find out what type of hard disk & shit you have

in your bios, there will be either an 'OnBoard' menu, or a 'Periphials' menu. you'll have shit like OnBoard Network, OnBoard Sound & OnBoard video and a little menu will say how to disable/enable it
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

DAYUM

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 08:25:37 PM »
http://www.e4me.com/
thats teh website can u help me out? idk what im looking for