Author Topic: Eric Margolis- Week in Review  (Read 124 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Eric Margolis- Week in Review
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:33:27 PM »
Wherever he is, Osama bin Laden will be beaming as he watches my beloved hometown, New York City, turned into an armed camp and a victim of municipal nervous breakdown.

Sheik Osama has repeatedly warned America will never know peace until it withdraws from the Mideast and ceases supporting Israel. He ordered followers to attack the heart of America's power, its economy.

He has been horrifyingly successful. The 9/11 attacks cost America $98 billion US, and billions more annually for heightened internal security. The Bush administration's constant, politically-timed warnings of imminent al-Qaida attacks -- none of which materialized -- and attendant media hysteria, have left Americans frightened and emotionally exhausted.

The Republican National Convention here is being guarded by the city's 37,000 cops -- a force twice as large as Canada's entire army. Ten thousand police will guard the convention centre at Madison Square Garden, backed by thousands more FBI, ATF, Secret Service, and other "federales." Still, rumours abound al-Qaida will attack the convention.

Roadblocks, checkpoints, flashing red lights, heavily armed paramilitaries, and armoured vehicles will turn New York into a traffic nightmare, disrupt commerce, and make the world's most important city look like Damascus during a military coup, or a remake of the film Escape From New York.

As this strange spectacle unfolds, the Bush and Kerry campaigns are arguing furiously about the 30-year-old Vietnam War -- at a time when the U.S. is losing the wars it is now waging in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Neither candidate has advanced any cogent or realistic plan for dealing with these military-political quagmires. Bush keep intoning meaningless platitudes like "we've got to stay the course." But at least he has been consistent about Iraq, even though consistently and disastrously wrong. Kerry keeps shifting his position, and has seriously damaged his credibility by trying to be both pro-war and anti-war at the same time.

The sordid smear campaign launched against Kerry's war record by an apparently Republican-funded hit squad called "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" has besmirched both candidates' reputations and further damaged America's already battered image around the globe. Kerry's feeble reaction to the shameful attacks seems further evidence of weakness and indecision.

How the Kerry campaign can get away with letting a draft-dodging president attack his war record escapes me. Maybe Kerry's too much of a gentleman. How can decent Americans and veterans' organizations, like the American Legion, to which I belong, accept this disgraceful business and not roar disapproval at the president? This is not politics, it's pure filth.

As a U.S. Army veteran, I know that military citations are often awarded too freely and overblown to promote careers. Kerry may not be quite the Democratic Rambo he contends, but at least he was there, in combat -- while Bush was making sporadic guest appearances at the Texas and Alabama National Guards.

Mind you, the Bush administration didn't flinch from concocting a cascade of lies about the Iraqi threat -- including Saddam's nukes and Iraqi drones about to spray poison on sleeping America. So why would it discourage fabrications against a genuine threat -- at least to the current presidency -- namely, John Kerry?

Bush and Kerry ought to be debating how to pull 150,000 U.S. troops out of two stalemated wars costing $6.5 billion US a month. A recent Spanish congressional report estimates that had Bush not invaded Iraq, oil would now be around $30 a barrel, instead of $43. Americans have yet to understand the full cost of the president's foreign misadventures.

Neither candidate is telling Americans the truth about Iraq, Afghanistan or the misnamed "war on terrorism." Sadly, many Americans don't want to hear awkward facts, as Gov. Howard Dean found to his chagrin.

The hard truth is that the U.S. is stuck in two no-win colonial wars, precisely what bin Laden wanted. The U.S. is increasingly under attack by Islamic militants who hate America --not, as Bush fatuously claims, because of its freedoms and democracy, but because of what the U.S. has been doing in the Muslim world.

Americans need to debate that, not rehash Vietnam.

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Eric Margolis- Week in Review
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:57:55 PM »
Fuck that liberal Journalist :P

DirtySouth

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 04:13:33 PM »
Fuck politics,

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:57:22 PM »
on point.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Montana00

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 05:05:37 PM »
i didnt read the whole thing, but it seemed "on point."

Immortal

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 02:22:13 PM »
word
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:47:46 PM »
it does seem on point

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 07:46:45 PM »
Fuck that liberal Journalist :P

That stringy pube hanging off my left nut > Machiavelli
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Montana00

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 07:48:05 PM »
Dont pay any attention to machiavelli, hes on anti depressants.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 08:09:16 PM »
Fuck a Machiavelli, I was just comparing my pubic hair to him.

- Lewis Carroll