Author Topic: Ex-Lawmaker Says He Helped Bush With Guard  (Read 219 times)

pappy

Ex-Lawmaker Says He Helped Bush With Guard
« on: August 28, 2004, 02:06:23 PM »
http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-PLS&idq=/ff/story/0001/20040828/1349707631.htm

Ex-Lawmaker Says He Helped Bush With Guard
By BOBBY ROSS JR

DALLAS (AP) - Former Texas House Speaker Ben Barnes said he is ``more ashamed at myself than I've ever been'' because he helped President Bush and the sons of other wealthy families get into the Texas National Guard so they could avoid serving in Vietnam.

``I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard ... and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it,'' Barnes, a Democrat, said in a video clip recorded May 27 before a group of John Kerry supporters in Austin.

Barnes, who was House speaker when Bush entered the Guard, later became lieutenant governor.

The video was posted June 25 on the Web site www.austin4kerry.org, but didn't get much attention until Friday, when Jim Moore, an Austin-based author of books critical of Bush, sent out e-mails calling attention to it just days before the GOP National Convention starts in New York.

Bush joined the National Guard in 1968, at the height of the Vietnam War, and served until 1973. He has said he received no special treatment.

Barnes said he became ashamed after walking through the Vietnam Memorial and looking at the names of the dead.

``I became more ashamed of myself than I've ever been because it was the worst thing I did - help a lot of wealthy supporters and a lot of people who had family names of importance get in the National Guard,'' he said. ``I'm very sorry of that and I'm very ashamed of it and I apologize to the voters of Texas for that.''

Barnes told The Associated Press in a brief telephone interview Saturday that the video ``just speaks for itself.'' He declined to answer specific questions about what role he had in helping Bush, but he said he may have more to say next week.

Both Bush and his father, the former president, have said they did not ask for help in finding the Guard opening.

``It is no surprise that a partisan Democrat is making these statements,'' Bush spokeswoman Claire Buchan told the Houston Chronicle. ``This was addressed five years ago, and there's nothing new.''

Five years ago, Barnes found himself at the center of questions about Bush's Vietnam-era service when the then-Texas governor emerged as the Republican presidential front-runner.

At that time, Barnes' lawyer issued a statement saying Barnes had been contacted by the now-deceased Sidney Adger, a Houston oilman and friend of Bush's father, who was then a congressman. Adger asked Barnes to recommend Bush for a pilot position with the Air National Guard and he did, that statement said.

``Neither Congressman Bush nor any other member of the Bush family asked Barnes' help,'' according to the 1999 statement.

08/28/04 13:48

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. 

Trauma-san

Re: Ex-Lawmaker Says He Helped Bush With Guard
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »
Who cares?  Bush isn't going around bragging about his time spent in the National Guard.  He's not even using it as an issue.  What I *DO know about Bush's military career is this: He's at the head of the military.  You can't have a higher position than he does, he controls the entire thing, and I think he's doing a good job of it.  So it'd probably be at an advantage to someone to NOT bring up his military career, if they mean to decimate his stature politcally; he's the leader of the United States military as we speak. 

dexter

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 10:06:08 AM »
Bush is a war Dodger
Vietnam

Montana00

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 10:56:23 AM »
Wait a minute, theres actually someone who dodged the vietnam war? This is a complete shocker. I've never heard of anyone who dodged the war.

Trauma is right. Bush doesnt go around saying "I'm a vietnam veteran." To be honest, he never (ever) mentioned it. It only came up when kerry was bragging about his 4-month navy career.

I'm not a bush supporter, but honestly i could care less about his military career.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 03:24:05 PM »
lol...this just proves CNN is a liberal baised network.

But really, who gives a fuck ???

hes not making his whole campain based on his service in the national guard, like kerry is for vietnam
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 03:26:39 PM by Machiavelli »

Montana00

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 03:46:23 PM »
But kerry can, because he actually has an honorable record. Im sure if bush got tons of medals he would be gloating too.

Jome

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »
Who cares?  Bush isn't going around bragging about his time spent in the National Guard.  He's not even using it as an issue. 

True, quite the contrary, he's trying to hide it..  ;D

lol...this just proves CNN is a liberal baised network.

I thought this info/statements was from a leaked "60 Minutes" interview to be aired next week, CNN only reports it.....

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 10:13:17 PM »
ah so what i say, cheech marin is a draft dodger too, he went to Canada to escape getting drafted. I really don't see him as less of a person.

Bush either....many people in his generation were against this war....it was a lil more pointless.

and i know what all you anti war people are going to say...."well if bush was against vietnam why is starting a war with iraq and afganistan"

which i'll answer in advance...iraq and afganistan are something totally different. the only thing that would make bush a hypocrit here is if he's going around saying Vietnam was a necisary and jsut war.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 10:15:57 PM »
Who cares?  Bush isn't going around bragging about his time spent in the National Guard.  He's not even using it as an issue.  What I *DO know about Bush's military career is this: He's at the head of the military.  You can't have a higher position than he does, he controls the entire thing, and I think he's doing a good job of it.  So it'd probably be at an advantage to someone to NOT bring up his military career, if they mean to decimate his stature politcally; he's the leader of the United States military as we speak. 

You are living proof of how ANY point or argument can be justified in some twisted contradictory double speak.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 10:24:01 PM »
so a young bush should've went to a war that many viewed as wrong and burned their draft card?

i personally don't know what Bush's views on the vietnam war is if he's going around saying "the vietnam war was a great war in which we should've stayed" then yeah bush is a hypocrit and fag. but seriously a grip of people avoided that war....take cheech for example.

tech just because you'd love to do anything to denigrate the man doesn't give you the right to make stupid personal attacks on me

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2004, 01:22:28 PM »
But kerry can, because he actually has an honorable record. Im sure if bush got tons of medals he would be gloating too.

No. Hes focusing his campain on Vietnam because thats all he can focus it on. He cant make the focus of his campain his sentate record because everyone knows how Liberal and inconsistent it is.

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 04:05:45 PM »
Bush keeps this aspect of his life quiet for a reason.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE