Author Topic: Where did Rap come from? Why we call it "Rap" music? Who it was named after...  (Read 517 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Where did Rap come from? Why we call it "Rap" music? Who it was named afte
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 03:29:36 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh, I guess I'll have to convert back. Sorry Jesus, I never should have abandoned you.

Woodrow

Allah... will judge the actions of those who spread lies and mischief, without clear knowledge.

Trauma-san

Allah... will judge the actions of those who spread lies and mischief, without clear knowledge.

LOL

infinite59

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »
^^ And he's not even right...

1933, Winston Churchwill wins, some Islam dude lose..  8)
I read somewhere that "rap" was used in the early 1900's as "to talk fast", so the Islam dude shouldn't be given much credit..

That doesn't prove anything.  If you read my origional post, "Rap" isn't his origional name, it was a nickname given to him because of his colorful way of speach. 

The term "rap" may have been out there before the 60's, but it was made common and popular by H. Rap Browne and hip-hop was named with him in mind.  Look it up in a hip-hop history book, not in some Webster's Dictionary, I didn't come up with this on my own.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 08:30:55 PM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »

Woodrow

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 08:36:07 PM »
That doesn't prove anything.  If you read my origional post, "Rap" isn't his origional name, it was a nickname given to him because of his colorful way of speach. 

The term "rap" may have been out there before the 60's, but it was made common and popular by H. Rap Browne and hip-hop was named with him in mind.  Look it up in a hip-hop history book, not in some Webster's Dictionary, I didn't come up with this on my own.

English Major?

Remind me not to send my kids to the University you went to.

The roots of hip hop are in West African and African-American music. The griots of West Africa are a group of traveling singers and poets, whose musical style is reminiscent of hip hop. True hip hop arose during the 1970s when block parties became common in New York City, especially the Bronx. Block parties were usually accompanied by music, especially funk and soul music. The early DJs at block parties began isolating the percussion breaks to hit songs, realizing that these were the most dance-able and entertaining parts; this technique was then common in Jamaica (see dub music) and had spread via the substantial Jamaican immigrant community in New York City, especially the godfather of hip hop, DJ Kool Herc. Dub had arose in Jamaica due to the influence of American sailors and radio stations playing R&B. Large sound systems were set up to accommodate poor Jamaicans, who couldn't afford to buy records, and dub developed at the sound systems (refers to both the system and the parties that evolved around them).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
damn... infinite should just quit

Woodrow

Nah dude. It's all part of the master plan.

pappy

please brian do not talk about the streets anymore.  do not talk about what has originated on the streets.  what the streets are like.   Im sick of you trying to talk about whats going on in the streets. You have no clue.  Why dont you go back to your theory about rap saving brooklyn so i can tear apart that idea.

DAYUM

please brian do not talk about the streets anymore.  do not talk about what has originated on the streets.  what the streets are like.   Im sick of you trying to talk about whats going on in the streets. You have no clue.  Why dont you go back to your theory about rap saving brooklyn so i can tear apart that idea.

LMAO

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2004, 01:01:45 AM »
Infinite...Make some threads that have nothing to do with Islam.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 01:07:48 AM »
infinite =white boy who hates being white, wants to be other race so tries to suck the dicks of other cultures in order to gain honorary membership into a new race/culture.

and rap was called rap before the 70's or 80's rapping was when an artist would start talking after singing........example the delphonics in "have you seen her"  when rappers started MC'ing that is what they labled how they "sang". 

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sikotic™

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2004, 01:42:33 AM »
That was an interesting piece of knowledge. That's what I got out of it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
Well, at least I learned something new...

pappy

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2004, 10:31:10 AM »
That was an interesting piece of knowledge. That's what I got out of it.
except thats not how rap got its name lol.

davida.b.

props, I never knew that