Author Topic: Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea  (Read 555 times)

Woodrow

Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:20:54 PM »
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040912/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_explosion&e=1&ncid=

By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea - A large explosion occurred in the northern part of North Korea (news - web sites), sending a huge mushroom cloud into the air on an important anniversary of the communist regime, a South Korean news agency reported Sunday.

The Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified source in Beijing, said the explosion happened Thursday in Yanggang province near the border with China. The explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county blasted a crater big enough to be noticed by a satellite, the source said.

"We understand that a mushroom-shaped cloud about 3.5 to 4 kilometers (about 2-2 1/2 miles) in diameter was monitored during the explosion," Yonhap quoted an unidentified diplomatic source in Seoul as saying.

North Korea was founded Sept. 9, 1948. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the occasion to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

Experts have speculated that North Korea might use a major anniversary to conduct a nuclear-related test, though there was no immediate indication that Thursday's reported explosion was linked to Pyongyang's efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

Kim Hyong Jik is reported to hold a major missile base. North Korea, which has a large missile arsenal and more than 1 million soldiers, is dotted with military installations.

South Korea (news - web sites)'s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said Sunday the government was in the process of confirming reports there were signs of an explosion in North Korea.

"I am not aware of details such as the size of the damage," he was quoted as saying by Yonhap after a National Security Council meeting.

On Saturday, North Korea said recent revelations that South Korea conducted secret nuclear experiments involving uranium and plutonium made the communist state more determined to pursue its own atomic programs.

The South Korean experiments, conducted in 1982 and 2000, were likely to further complicate the already stalled six-nation talks aimed at dismantling the North's nuclear development. South Korea has said the experiments were purely for research and did not reflect a desire to develop weapons.

On April 22, train wagons at a railway station exploded in the North Korean town of Ryongchon, killing 160 people and injuring an estimated 1,300, according to some estimates. The blast was believed to have been sparked by a train laden with oil and chemicals that hit power lines.

The source in the Yonhap report said Thursday's explosion reportedly was bigger than the train explosion.

I'm off to get a drink. Hope everythings still here when I get back  :-\

Trauma-san

Re: Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:27:15 PM »
There's gonna be more Red, White & Blue Mushroom Clouds in N. Korea if dude keeps fucking around. 

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 12:06:43 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/09/11/nkorea.blast/

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- A large cloud that appeared over North Korea in satellite images several days ago was not the result of a nuclear explosion, according to a U.S. official.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency is reporting a huge explosion shook North Korea's northernmost province on Thursday producing a mushroom cloud over two miles (4 km) wide.

The blast coincided with the anniversary of North Korea's founding on Sepember 9 when various military activities are staged.

The U.S. official said the cloud could be the result of a forest fire.

South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-yong said the government was aware of the reports and is checking them.

"I have no information about the size of the damage of the explosion," he said on Sunday, according to Yonhap.

Chung also said he believed there was no correlation between the explosion and reports of North Korea preparing for a possible nuclear test.

The New York Times reported on Saturday that U.S. President George W. Bush and his top advisers recently received intelligence reports that could indicate North Korea is preparing its first nuclear test, citing senior officials with access to the intelligence.

None of North Korea's known nuclear sites are in the country's northernmost provinces.

Yonhap reported the explosion happened in Yanggang province along the Chinese border, the site of Yongjori Missile Base -- a large facility with an underground missile firing range.

At least 161 people were killed in an explosion at Ryongchon Railway Station in April. It took three days for Pyongyang to break its silence on the blast.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 12:55:55 AM »
Just read about this. Pretty scary shyza.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 01:56:48 AM »
A forest fire??!!  A mushroom cloud two miles wide from a fucking FOREST FIRE?!  HOW FUCKING DUMB DOES HE THINK EVERYONE IS?!

IT WAS A FUCKING NUKE!

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 03:36:45 AM »
A forest fire??!!  A mushroom cloud two miles wide from a fucking FOREST FIRE?!  HOW FUCKING DUMB DOES HE THINK EVERYONE IS?!

IT WAS A FUCKING NUKE!

my thoughts exactly...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 03:55:36 AM »
OH MY GOD NORTH KOREA GOT NUKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LIKE THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 04:50:19 AM »
i think those crazy Koreans just setting off some fireworks..

Montana00

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 05:18:16 AM »
Where to begin.

I just woke up and now im reading the current news on this.....

Ok, S.Korea said they saw a mushroom cloud 2 miles wide. USA said it was only a forest fire. Im gonna go out on a limb and say i believe S.korea. But its not any surprise, every country that has had nukes, has tested them. They've openly stated that there making nukes, so im not shocked.

As for 7even. Sure america has nukes, but its not like their a weapon we use often. We only used them back in the 50s(?), but back then nobody really knew their capabilities(for the record i disagree with their use on japan). But you have to be smart, you cant just allow every country to posess nuclear weapons. You have to think about two things. 1) Are they evil, and would they use them if they wanted to attack another country (possibly S.korea) or anyone else. Because up until now, nukes have been used for defenseive purposes only (If you nuke me i can nuke you back, just like the cold war)

2)Would the country sell their nukes to people, whom you wouldnt want to posess nukes. Everyone knows that korea is a poor country, and im sure they'd sell their nukes. Think of the  money they could make if they sold one, to say....terrorists.

Just because america has nukes doesnt mean every other country should have them. What if hitler posessed nuclear weapons?

mauzip

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 05:22:59 AM »
Sure america has nukes, but its not like their a weapon we use often. We only used them back in the 50s(?)

you don't even know when WW2 was? ::) :o

Montana00

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 05:27:37 AM »
no what i meant was i didnt know if it was late 40s or early 50s.

i just woke up give me a break

mauzip

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 05:47:19 AM »
 :-\

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 06:06:35 AM »
I rather want a country that hasnt started wars lately to have nukes than a country that has started 2 wars in the last 4 years when one of them was for pseudo-reasons.
common sense.

.. and WW2 was in the early 40s ... not on the late 40s.. or early 50.. LOL.. one could also say it sorta started in the late 30s..
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Montana00

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 06:13:31 AM »
The bombs were dropped on either 44 or 45 right?

lol off topic

Thirteen

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 06:13:44 AM »
I rather want a country that hasnt started wars lately to have nukes than a country that has started 2 wars in the last 4 years when one of them was for pseudo-reasons.
common sense.

.. and WW2 was in the early 40s ... not on the late 40s.. or early 50.. LOL.. one could also say it sorta started in the late 30s..

read up on the korean DMZ... how south and north korea are conatantly watchin each other's moves... read about the people stationed there. where there's two bases on opposite sides of the DMZ and at any given time you can look over and see some guy watching you with binoculars. that any time troops are moved by north korea any where close to the border, south korea gets prepared for an attack...now throw in that the neighbor that could go to war with you at any time is testing nukes....makes for a very tense situation