Author Topic: Now that the US has Iraqi oil  (Read 185 times)

760Li

Now that the US has Iraqi oil
« on: September 15, 2004, 11:04:37 PM »
U.S. criticizes Saudi religious freedoms

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The State Department said Wednesday that Saudi Arabia has engaged in "particularly severe violations" of religious freedom and for the first time included the kingdom, a key U.S. ally, on a list of countries that could be subject to sanctions.

A department report assessing the state of religious freedom worldwide said that in Saudi Arabia, freedom of religion does not exist and is not recognized or protected under the country's laws.

The report also said that those who do not adhere to the officially sanctioned strain of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia can face "severe repercussions" at the hands of the religious police.

Wednesday's announcement was a departure from the Bush administration's practice of avoiding direct criticism of Saudi Arabia -- a key ally in the war on terrorism, a strong backer of U.S. policies in Iraq and a major oil supplier.

Under U.S. law, nations that engage in violations of religious freedom deemed "particularly severe" are designated by the State Department as "countries of particular concern."

Joining Saudi Arabia for the first time on the so-called "CPC list" were Eritrea and Vietnam. Countries redesignated as CPC countries were Burma, China, Iran, North Korea and Sudan.   

*Oh hell nah...Kufi slaps State Department

Since the State Department first began making evaluations on religious freedom, sanctions have not been applied against any country on the CPC list.

Ambassador John V. Hanford, head of the State Department's religious freedom office, told a news conference that Saudi Arabia was designated a CPC country despite forward movement over the past year. He cited statements by Saudi ruler Crown Prince Abdullah in support of tolerance and moderation and said numerous Saudi text books have been revised to delete inflammatory references to religious beliefs outside those officially approved.

"But problems exist that push them over the line," Hanford said.

The U.S. Commission on International Freedom, an independent group that receives government funding and offers advice to the State Department, recommended last February that Saudi Arabia be declared a CPC country.

Such a designation does not necessarily require punitive measures but does mandate that the secretary of state engage the offending country on what steps it may take to increase religious tolerance.

Preeta D. Bansal, the commission chair, said in an interview that she welcomed the addition of Saudi Arabia to the U.S. government's "list of the world most egregious violators of religious freedom."

She said the commission has been advocating the inclusion of Saudi Arabia on the CPC list since legislation was approved in 1999 to evaluate the state of religious freedom around the world.

Bansal said the commission's stand was based not only on violations of religious freedom within Saudi Arabia's own borders "but also its propagation and export of an ideology of religious hate and intolerance throughout the world."

The Saudi Arabian Embassy said it had no comment on the State Department report.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/15/us.saudi.religious.rights.ap/index.html

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Now that the US has Iraqi oil
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 09:17:31 PM »
i wish we actually HAD iraq's oil here in the US, i hate paying 40 bucks to fill up the 'Stang

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 11:11:19 PM »
i wish we actually HAD iraq's oil here in the US, i hate paying 40 bucks to fill up the 'Stang

you got a Mustang too. I just sold mine though. Too much money on gas. I mean gas is now $2.29 a gallon, depending on the day it's higher than that. And a Mustang uses gas like nothing, so I am currently looking on the market for a car that uses much less gas. But I do miss my 'Stang though. Lots of good riding was done in that thing. Hell, from Cali to Minn in anything '85 without a single problem, you have to respect. But gas is just way too much to keep my second love of my life, hip-hop being my first. I even told my ex-girl after she dissed my car for being old, I'd dump you way before I'd dump my car. We need some of that Iraqi oil if we have it, shit, I want another Mustang.  :-\

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 11:58:10 PM »
Yeah man i feel you, i don't think i'd ever trade in my mustang, i was close 2 times (once for a corvette, and once for BMW) but i dunno that thing is perfect for me, it commands respect from the guys and you'd think that they installed a pussy magnet in there cuz on my worst days i get looks.  but yeah gas is a bitch, it uses a 1/4 of a tank just to get to the mall. i feel you on the reliability too, i've had it for 2 and a half years and it's got well over 100,000 miles and the only time it's been in the shop is if i've put some new toy or part upgrade in it.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Montana00

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 01:51:38 PM »
i got an explorer.

15 miles to a gallon (but to me it seems like 5 mpg)

costs so dam much to fill it up (i never fill it all the way up though)