Author Topic: Brazil, Germany, Japan and India bid for Permanant seats on UN security council  (Read 410 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Four nations launch UN seat bid
Brazil, Germany, Japan and India have launched a joint bid for permanent seats on the UN Security Council.
"The Security Council must reflect the realities of the international community in the 21st Century," their joint statement said.

The four states pledged to back each other's case and said similar status should be given to an African nation.

The Council's five veto-wielding permanent members are Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.

The 10 other Council members are chosen for two-year terms by regional groups.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is known to favour an expansion of the Council, to enable it to command greater respect - especially in the developing world - and to make it more effective.

'Representative' Council

The joint statement was issued after talks between Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer, Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New York.

PERMANENT MEMBERS
China
France
Russia
United Kingdom
United States 

The statement noted that there has been a nearly four-fold increase in the UN membership since it was founded after World War II in 1945, including a sharp increase in the number of developing countries.

"The Security Council, therefore, must be expanded in both the permanent and non-permanent categories, including developing and developed countries as new permanent members," the joint statement said.

"It must be representative, legitimate and effective."

In a speech to the UN General Assembly, the Brazilian leader, known as Lula, said the Council's composition must reflect today's reality, rather than perpetuate the post-WWII era.

In another speech, Mr Koizumi said Japan's reconstruction role in Iraq and Afghanistan, and its efforts to resolve the North Korean nuclear issue, entitled it to a permanent seat on the Council.

'Natural candidates'

Japan pays more money into the UN coffers than any nation except the US. Germany is the third-biggest contributor.

ELECTED MEMBERS FOR 2004
Algeria - until end of 2005
Angola - until end of 2004
Benin - until end of 2005
Brazil - until end of 2005
Chile - until end of 2004
Germany - until end of 2004
Pakistan - until end of 2004
Philippines - until end of 2005
Romania - until end of 2005
Spain - until end of 2004 

Supporters of India's membership point out that the country is the world-largest democracy where some 1.2 billion people live, while some of Brazil's backers say it can make a strong case to represent South America.

"All four states regard themselves as natural candidates," Mr Fischer said after the talks.

The joint statement also said Africa must also have a permanent seat, amid reports that African leaders are currently discussing which of their states should be put forward.

However, historic regional animosities are likely to complicate the joint bid, analysts say.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3678736.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Japan and Germany play in a totally different league than Brazil and India.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I have no problem with India and brazil as they don't have regional representation, but do we really need a 3rd european perminant member? and do really need another asain member? although would rather switch china for japan

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Japan and Germany pay the most so... bottom line I'm tired of Germany always paying the most and getting the least..
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Seer

well with that logic, i'll agree on germany.. altho it does leave it open to accusations of western influence.. bah..

and japan i def have no problem with..

tbh.. who else really counts?

Don Seer

oh and i see the problem with this being... theres a greater chance of veto's for every action.. therefore... more things will get held up by red tape...

the US should just recruit allies and take over the world..

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
There needs to be a Muslim country on that council to make it even some what legitimate
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Seer

and a mormon one? lmao.. please..

it aint about religion

if a muslim country participated and contributed like others did they would be too..

fact is they dont..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 02:14:37 PM by Overseer »

eS El Duque

I only have a problem with india. Everyone else is cool.

You don't see Canada giving a shit!

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Brazil....Ha!

tommyilromano

Germany and Japan... Yes. The others... No. The UN doesn't do shit anyway so I guess in retrospect I really don't give a shit.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
and a mormon one? lmao.. please..

it aint about religion

if a muslim country participated and contributed like others did they would be too..

fact is they dont..

So what you are sayin is:

1- The Mormons are comparable in terms of numbers, and influence to Muslims
2- 1.3 Billion people, 20% of the worlds population deserve no say in the Security council on a permanent basis
3- Muslims dont participate in the UN

How does a 30 year old think like a 12 year old?

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Seer

god your so anal...

listen faghan.

1.. no my point was about religion, i spellt it out for you.

2.. can't deny that.

3.. none at all? well dont you think they should apply?

i'm not 30 :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 07:25:43 AM by Overseer »

Thirteen

There needs to be a Muslim country on that council to make it even some what legitimate

how about this for a reason....they can't even run their own countries well, so why should they have a say in how other countries go about their business?

Don Seer

how about they know they wouldnt get onboard due to all the human rights treaties they gotta sign up to?