Author Topic: Yusif Islam aka Cat Stevens deported.  (Read 225 times)

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
Yusif Islam aka Cat Stevens deported.
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:22:54 PM »
im suprised no one has said anything about this before. His flight got deverted to Bangor Maine because he is on a gov't terrorist watch list. He was deported.

This guy is obviously a peaceful Muslim. Its fuckin Cat Stevens for Christs sake. The guy wouldn't hurt a fly.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Yusif Islam aka Cat Stevens deported.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 08:29:07 PM »
ohh shit. i saw this and forgot to post..
 leaving on a jet plane.. dont know if he will be back again  :D

U.S. Says Cat Stevens May Have Terror Ties

1 hour, 20 minutes ago 

By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The singer formerly known as Cat Stevens (news) is forbidden from flying into the United States because of his alleged association with possible terrorists, U.S. officials said Wednesday in explaining why a London-to-Washington flight carrying the peace activist was diverted.

The claim was disputed by the brother of the London-born singer, who changed his name to Yusuf Islam more than 25 years ago.

David Gordon said his brother has condemned terrorist acts and donates money to terrorism victims. "He just wants to be an ambassador for peace," said Gordon, who lives in Princeton, N.J., and serves as Islam's business manager.

Ironically, Islam, while in Washington last May, met with officials of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives "to talk about philanthropic work," according to White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan.

The office is located across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House. Buchan said that was before Islam was added to the no-fly list.

United Airlines Flight 919 was en route to Dulles International Airport on Tuesday when U.S. officials reviewing the passenger list discovered Islam was aboard. The aircraft was diverted to Maine's Bangor International Airport, where federal agents met the plane and interviewed Islam.

He was placed on a plane back to London on Wednesday. Gordon said Islam's 21-year-old daughter, Maymanah, was allowed to stay in the country.

Meantime, there was confusion about how someone on the government's "no-fly list" was allowed to board a plane. Airline personnel are supposed to check passengers' names against people on the list. Anyone who matches is to be kept off flights.

United spokesman Jeff Green said the airline followed procedures in checking Islam's name, and it wasn't on the list.

"The information did not match," Green said.

Green and Homeland Security Department spokesman Dennis Murphy said the airline and the government are working together to figure out what happened. It's possible Islam's name was spelled differently on the list, Homeland Security officials conceded.

Under rules imposed following the Sept. 11 attacks, once an international flight is bound for the United States, passenger information is forwarded to U.S. officials. The amount of data varies, but can include name, address, flight details, seat location, form of payment and meal preference.

U.S. authorities use the information to run a more thorough check against government watch lists. That's when authorities discovered that Islam was on the plane.

Unlike airline workers, law enforcement officers are trained to look for names that sound like those on the watch list or are spelled differently than the ones on the watch list, Homeland Security spokesman Garrison Courtney said.

The Transportation Security Administration, which is part of the Homeland Security Department, announced plans Tuesday to take over the task of checking names against watch lists before passengers get on planes. The agency is developing a computerized system that will compare passenger data with the watch lists for domestic flights only.

U.S. authorities provided few details about Islam's alleged connection to terrorism.

Homeland Security spokesman Brian Doyle would only say that the intelligence community has recently obtained information that "further heightens concern" about Islam.

"Yusuf Islam has been placed on the watch lists because of activities that could potentially be related to terrorism," Doyle said. "It's a serious matter."

A second government official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said U.S. authorities think donations from Islam may have ended up helping to fund blind sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman, convicted for a plot to bomb New York City landmarks, and Hamas, a Palestinian militant group considered a terrorist organization by the United States.

In July 2000, Islam was deported hours after arriving in Jerusalem. A local paper reported then that the government claimed he had delivered tens of thousands of dollars to Hamas during a visit in 1988. Islam denied ever knowingly supporting Islamic terrorists.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations at a news conference Wednesday said the deportation "sends a message to the Islamic world that even those who seek peace and condemn terror are not fit to enter the United States."

Islam, born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a re-recording of his hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq (news - web sites).

He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:32:28 PM »
Yeah that was pretty fucked.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 08:47:11 PM »
A few things pop to mind:

1. It's kind of funny that they let him get on the plane in the first place, buy a ticket, etc.  and then went through the trouble of fucking up EVERYBODY by landing the plane, taking him off, etc.  That's not a very tight way to run a ship.  I mean, if there's somebody on the plane they don't want on there, it's great that they found out, but that should have all been handled before he got on the plane.

2. There's a fine line between "terrorist organization" and "Islamic Organizations".  In my opinion, he was donating money to an "Islamic Organization" he supported, maybe he agreed with their ideals, etc... and perhaps the "Islamic Organization" had terrorist connections, or whatever.  I don't believe he would purposefully try and help Hamas or similar terrorist groups, I think he's just trying to support his religion and got taken advantage of? Mixed up? I dunno by some shady characters. 

infinite59

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 09:40:10 PM »
It's amazing when you watch the news and you see the people who have came out in defense of Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens).  So I guess a Muslim has to be a white, old school musician, with platinum records, for people to respect him and speak about him like he's a human being.  Had it of been anyone else with an Arabic name, many of these people would have been ready to send him packing for Gauntanamo Bay.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 11:23:03 PM »
No: Had it have been anyone else, we wouldn't know who the fuck they were. 

... however, had it been Muhammad Ali, for instance, that this had happened to... you'd hear the same exact story, because everybody KNOWS Muhammad, and knows he wouldn't support terrorists. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 11:46:50 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't on that plane. I know it sucked to have to land somewhere just so they can take ONE person off.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

mauzip

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 02:32:07 AM »

This guy is obviously a peaceful Muslim.

obviously... that's why he's being arrested ::)

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 02:44:09 AM »
He shoulda taken the Peace Train.

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 09:56:32 AM »
I feel much safer now that cat stevens in out of the country :loco: