Author Topic: Has snoop really fallen off?  (Read 667 times)

heyyou

Has snoop really fallen off?
« on: September 27, 2002, 07:41:29 AM »
This is one of a few articles I've quickly typed over-night and it's a little rushed.

Has Snoop really falllen off? (This is from a Snoop fan, I'm trying to be objective as possible)

In my opinion, in some ways yes, in another no. He is still a tight rapper, he still makes tight tracks, he just doesn't know how to make albums. I'll give eg's:

Tha Doggfather was a dissappointment as a follow up to Doggystyle. Why? It was too long, the production was patchy and flat, with a few exceptions. I think his flow was just as good as on doggystyle, his lyrics I think were actually better, but it's his vocal's were terrible. His vocals with his flw is what sets him apart with other rappers.

On Da Game.. which was very very bad. Why? Too many guest spots by awful No Limit rappers (except for Mia X who I think is an underrated MC), the beats didn't match Snoops flow (with a few exceptions), the beats sounded flat (poor mixing), the beats sounded like they were composed on a cheap casio keyboard. Snoop was lyrically at his worst, and again vocally he was poor. Still A G Thang was dope from Snoop, lyrically (as lyrics go for Snoop), and flow, but the beat was well overrated, and mixed poorly. The abum was too long at 80 mins.
The album was more like a collection of individual tracks slapped together. Songs like D.O.G.'s get loney 2 were awful, he should leave that R&B vibe, and stick to hip-hop.

Top Dogg was much better. But still, it was too long and sounded like a bunch of tracks thrown together (no particular order). The production was better, but at some points his lyrics and flow was still weak.
Snoops vocals overall improved from tha doggfather and da game..., but still it wasn't the same. Again, like on Da Game, Snoop should stop doing songs like Somethin 'bout ya bidness.

DMW. I don't really consider this a Snoop album, as he didn't have any input in it. Again it sounds slapped together, songs were unnecessarily too long eg. Change Gone Come, Gangsta Walk Gangsta Talk. Again Snoop's vocals let him down. May I was dope, the beat was a bit basic and flat, but his flow & lyrics were dope, but his vocals still let him down.

Last Meal. This was my second favourite behind doggystyle. Again this album was too long at nearly 80 mins, but at least there was some thought on the structure on the order of the tracks. I like the way the tracks link together non-stop, like the early death row albums, eg. the chronic, doggystyle, dogg food.
Not as many guest artists. People say kokane ruins the album, I don't think he does. The track he only ruins is Bring It On, and I don't listen to Brake Fluid, not because of kokane but because it's too long, and Snoop isn't that good on it. I think the production on the most part was dope (Timberland was very dissapointing), and with Dr. Dre mixing most tracks, the beats had that full sound (not flat). Issues was dope when I heard the promo, but when Dr. Dre had mixed it, and in CD quality, it's one of the dopest beats I've ever heard (I'm never tired of it). Snoops lyrics are more personal, some patchy lyrics, and his flow on most part was dope (with some flaws). But again, vocally he let down at points. His raps will sound much, much better if only he projects his voice, loud and clear (check everything Pre-murder was the case OST).

In summary, he hasn't fallen off as much as many people believe.

But for Snoop to make a good album

Keep it under 60 min, (around 12-14 tracks, with maybe a few skits under 30 sec)
Less guest artists, (and keep them in his circle, eg. DPG, Dre, Xzibit, Doggystyle Allstars, Warren G, Nate etc).
Tracks lasting under 4 min, with a few longer than that.
At least 90% Westcoast prodution, 10% Eastcoast.
No R&B type track like Somethin 'bout ya bidness etc.
Non-stop style like doggystyle, and last meal.
Kill-off Snoopy Collins, Sir Dogg, and Mac Minister
Quit the talking at the end of records for so long, eg. Ready 2 ryde
Good lyris, good flows, and most importantly...

He needs to improve on his VOCALS. This is the main contributing factor to Snoops style. He still has everything else, so really he hasn't fallen off. His best vocals post doggystyle was on Easy Mo Bee's Sound Of My Heat. Everybody needs to check Snoop on that track. If Snoop kept, the production, and flow the same, but improved on his vocals, all his tracks will sound much better by themselves. In actual fact most of the former death row inmates have lost it vocally (except Nate Dogg). Dr. Dre is the only artist who sounds different but still sounds good.

P.S. Snoop doesn't need to rap fast, and loud to rip a track, eg. Lodi Dodi. So he I think he still raps dope on tracks like Pimp Slapp'd, good lyris, steady flow, and you can clearly understand what he says.

I'm writing another article/review soon, on snoops da game is to be sold, not to be told soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re: Has snoop really fallen off?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 07:57:38 AM »

"Somethin 'bout ya bidness" was a tight track

and he should keep doin that type of song

ILL-Logic-AL

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2002, 08:14:55 AM »
^Word, Somethin Bout Yo Biddness Is One Of The Best Snoops done.

platinumk777

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 09:14:50 AM »

But for Snoop to make a good album

Keep it under 60 min, (around 12-14 tracks, with maybe a few skits under 30 sec)
Less guest artists, (and keep them in his circle, eg. DPG, Dre, Xzibit, Doggystyle Allstars, Warren G, Nate etc).
Tracks lasting under 4 min, with a few longer than that.
At least 90% Westcoast prodution, 10% Eastcoast.
Non-stop style like doggystyle, and last meal.
Kill-off Snoopy Collins, Sir Dogg, and Mac Minister
Quit the talking at the end of records for so long, eg. Ready 2 ryde

Wow, I couldn't have put it better myself... the guys speaks the truth

teecee

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 09:22:21 AM »
Heyyou, you said basically everything i was and have been thinking!  I feel u mostly, except i think THe Doggfather is a classic album you can play all the way through without skipping a track.  It was quite different from Doggystyle though, and i didn't feel it for the first month or so after it came out.....

Also, i like Snoop on the eastcoast beats such as "Hey YOu" and The Neptunes (not really east coast) track, although i hate the Neptunes still.  To me, i just wanna hear Snoop FLOW and if the Neptunes can make him do that, then i don't mind a track or two by them.

heyyou

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 09:41:54 AM »
Thanks for the replys, but how do you feel about snoops vocals post-doggystyle? This is what makes snoop seem that he has fallen off? If someone manages to see him can you please copy my original post and give it (or mention it) to him, or someone who knows snoop, perhaps when someone interviews fred reck, thanks.

verbalassaulta

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 11:17:41 AM »
well you do have some good points....i think snoop has fallen...i thought the last meal is garbage...too much kokane and so so production and snoop isnt at his best consistently...i loved nl top dogg however and think its his second best album...besides the no limit guests...and lately...his projects havent lived up to expectations....like all stars which hasnt sold and is no good...2nd east sidaz is ok but failed...bones which i liked but didnt catch on to many...i dont think paid the cost will be any good ....the advance wasnt average at best...the first single i dont feal at all...and the list of producers!!!!!! well isnt to promising....i do hope this album will be good but recently snoop hasnt shown me anything to believe it will be

DPGC2001

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 01:51:17 PM »
I've always thought that Snoop's delivery was what was lacking after Doggystyle...His flow on Doggfather was on point but he  seemed disinterested on many of the tracks and started to whisper...Then when he joined No Limit he fucked up his flow probably a combination of bad beats,too much weed and hanging out with wack rappers...He started to put things back on Top Dogg and Last Meal and right now I would say he comes pretty tight on everything I heard recently...

mafia_fox

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2002, 02:11:33 AM »
well when somebodys appearing in muppets films .....  ::) :D

Myrealname

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2002, 02:19:08 AM »
well when somebodys appearing in muppets films .....  ::) :D

well when somebodys is an asshole  :D :)

mafia_fox

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2002, 02:25:48 AM »
c'mon are u tryin tell me u would sit though the muppets to see snoopy ?  ::) ;D

Myrealname

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2002, 02:27:27 AM »
Only if i'm enough high...

mafia_fox

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2002, 02:35:42 AM »
whatever ...

topdogg187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2002, 03:38:51 PM »
whatever ...

snoop may have fallen off but he is still better then 90% of the rappers out there right now and is one of the GOAT, and thas the truth.