Author Topic: John Lennon's killer faces possible release  (Read 355 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
John Lennon's killer faces possible release
« on: October 03, 2004, 12:42:27 PM »
NEW YORK (AFP) - Mark Chapman, the man who gunned down John Lennon in New York, could be released from jail this week -- a prospect that has drawn protests and even threats against his life from the former Beatle's fans.

Chapman, now 49, was sentenced to 20 years to life after shooting Lennon five times in the back outside the singer's Manhattan apartment building on December 8, 1980.

Having served 24 years, Chapman has a parole hearing scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday, a spokeswoman for the State of New York Division of Parole said.

It will be the third hearing for Chapman, whose previous requests to be set free were turned down in 2000 and 2002. On the last occasion, the parole board ruled that release would "deprecate the seriousness" of his crime.

Opposition to paroling Chapman has been led by Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, who has argued that he continues to pose a risk to herself and her family.

Lennon fans have also organised an online petition calling for Chapman to remain in prison for the rest of his natural life.

"Chapman committed a heinous crime, unprovoked and without remorse. He shot to death John Lennon, a man who had signed an autograph for him only six hours earlier. He deserves to pay for this with life in prison," the petition says.

"It is also a matter of public safety that he not be released. He should not be free to harm anyone else. Please remember that Mark David Chapman is forty-nine years old, and John Lennon never got to be older than forty."

Comments attached to the petition, which has garnered close to 2,000 signatures, ranged from reasoned arguments for keeping Chapman locked up, to threatening rants against his life.

"By no means whatsoever should this sick waste of oxygen and bone marrow be released for the crime he committed," said Charles Martina of Rome, New York. "May he rot in jail and the fiery pits of hell forever."

John Davies, of New York, said Chapman should remain in prison "for his own safety," while another signatory, identified only as Kelsey, was even more direct, saying "I'll kill him myself if he doesn't stay in jail."

In 1990, Chapman expressed his remorse for having killed Lennon but his first parole request in 2000 was denied because board members said he still had the same desire for "fame and notoriety" that led to the murder.

Two years ago, the board noted Chapman's "very positive" behavioural record, but added that progress in such a controlled and structured environment "cannot predict your community behaviour" if released.

In a rare interview several years ago with the British press, Chapman, who is serving his time in Attica maximum security prison in northern New York state, said he was sure that Lennon would have forgiven him and wished his release.

"I think he would be liberal, I think he would care," he said.

This year marked the 40th anniversary since The Beatles, on the back of their first US number one, flew into New York for a tour that took America by storm and heralded the start of the "British invasion" of the US music charts.

Only two of the Fab Four, Lennon's songwriting partner Paul McCartney and drummer Ringo Starr, are still alive. George Harrison died of cancer in 2001.

This bastard should never be released.

Don Seer

Re: John Lennon's killer faces possible release
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 12:48:44 PM »
sad thing is.. those signing the petition wouldnt give a fuck if it had been anyone else.

in my world murder is murder.. killing someone not famous doesnt make it "better"...

seems like they they only want revenge.. something lennon probably would be against ;)

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 01:19:47 PM »
i think murder = life in jail.. not 24 years... lennon or not lennon... that man does not deserve to be free...

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 03:57:04 PM »
I believe that he killed a man, he admitted to killing the man, and for that he should be in prison for the rest of his natural life.  Damn, its really sad knowing that there is only 2 beatles left.  I did however get to see McCartney in concert 2 years ago.  Probably the most surreal moment in my life thus far.

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 04:30:16 PM »
If he gets out, someone will just shoot him.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 07:02:43 PM »
sad thing is.. those signing the petition wouldnt give a fuck if it had been anyone else.

in my world murder is murder.. killing someone not famous doesnt make it "better"...

seems like they they only want revenge.. something lennon probably would be against ;)

Actually, John and Yoko had similar views on about everything... the article is incorrect, however; the last time he was up for parole, Yoko didn't want him denied because she said it would pose a threat to her.  She said she wanted him to stay imprisoned because she felt it would pose a threat to HIM.  She didn't want John or her associated with anything bad that might happen to Chapman, which is probably how John would feel, I would think.  Neither one of them definately I don't believe would want anything vengeful to happen to Chapman, but Yoko's reasoning in the letter she wrote the parole board in 2002 was that if Chapman was let out, some crazy Beatles fan would kill him. 

Also, O, the difference between Chapman and just some random killer is that Chapman killed someone that knew a LOT of people.  If for instance he had killed your father or something... there'd probably be 4 or 5 people (including you) who would be so insanely hurt by it, that you'd contemplate killing him if he ever got out of prison.  The rest of the world would be ignorant.  John Lennon was a wonderful person, and through his music brought a lot of happiness, even if in a small way, to many, many people around the world.  Millions.  So now, when he killed Lennon, he offended and hurt MILLIONS of people.  So of course many people want to sign a petition keeping him in jail, a lot of people were 'hurt' even if in a smaller way when Lennon was shot. 

bez

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 02:40:43 PM »
I dunno.  I dont think he should be in for life cos its us who are paying for him to live, he might as well just be killed.

Its like a hole in the system for me.  Why should my famaily continue to pay taxes to keep him living in jail for the rest of his life.  But for what he done he deserves to have no future.

Death sentance needs to be brought back if you ask me!

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 03:29:34 PM »
release the guy...he did most of us a favor..by getting rid of that damn hippy

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 04:35:17 PM »
I dunno.  I dont think he should be in for life cos its us who are paying for him to live, he might as well just be killed.

Its like a hole in the system for me.  Why should my famaily continue to pay taxes to keep him living in jail for the rest of his life.  But for what he done he deserves to have no future.

Death sentance needs to be brought back if you ask me!

Agreed.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 04:35:37 PM »

Ignorance at its best.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 05:49:06 PM »

Ignorance at its best.
i think that makes ignorance look like genious

davida.b.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 06:19:18 PM »

Ignorance at its best.

Exactly, the type of person that makes hippies and wiggers look cool.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 06:33:30 PM »

Ignorance at its best.

LMAO! Agreed.

Paris

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 06:44:54 PM »

exactly!!

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 06:46:56 PM »
im confused...

Ignorance at its best.

?