Author Topic: Why is SNOOP DOGG the King Of The West and ICE CUBE isn't?  (Read 813 times)

Trauma-san

Re: Why is SNOOP DOGG the King Of The West and ICE CUBE isn't?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 05:55:02 PM »
The difference is Ice Cube was never as big as Snoop was @ his peak.  When Snoop was on top, he was bigger than ANYBODY has been.  He was huge, and really got a lot of white kids into rap @ a time when MTV was just beginning to get more and more hiphop dominated.  He's the reason for that.  

Ice Cube is better, but he was never as big of a phenomenon as Snoop was.  Ironically, Ice Cube laid the groundwork for Snoop to come along like he did, though.  

michael jackson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUC BEIN THE KING IM THE BOSS OF THE WEB/EAZYE KIP
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 06:02:49 PM »
snoop got a better image, snoop been more consistant

cube was craccin from 89 -96 but he hasnt done shit since. snoop been dropping hit after hit since 92 till now
my haterz only mad cuz they bitch wanna toss her salad everytime she c'z me
adidas aka young roccs (all day i diss all slobz)
clattttttttttttttt clattttttttttttttttttttttt

Thirteen

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 09:11:50 PM »

cube was craccin from 89 -96 but he hasnt done shit since. snoop been dropping hit after hit since 92 till now

now i see why they call you lil roccs or what ever that crazy shit you say

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 01:21:02 AM »

He has though, even resently you can't say he don't make hits.

1992: Deep Cover
1993: Nuthin But A G Thang, Dre Day, What's My Name
1994: Gin & Juice, Doggy Dogg World
1995: Murder Was The Case
1996: 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted
1997: Only In California,
1998: Still A G Thang
1999: B Please, Still D.R.E.
2000: Next Episod, Snoop Dogg (What's My Name II), Chin Check
2001: Lay Low
2002: From Tha Chuuch To Tha Place
2003: Beautiful
2004: Drop It Like It's Hot

His covered every year since his been out with a single, and as you can see, quality singles. I think that right there shows you that it has been hit after hit for Snoop. I also see that Snoop's 12 year run is coming to an end. 12 years is along time, I can see him pulling off 8 more, not on top, but as someone that still released hits. His the westcoast LL. Instead of everyone hating on Snoop, we should regonize the great career that he has had. It's not that Snoop sucks, it's just he had two high points, 1993, and 2000. He still puts out hits, and will continue for many years I think. It's just his not westcoast don material anymore. I'm think Xzibit, but we'll see when we see what everyone has to offer. Anyways, don't knock Snoop on hits, his had at least one a year for 12 years. Shit, I can't think of another rapper that is even close. Not Nas, Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Dre, no one.

cyrrus1

• Lil Geezy
  • Asphalt Enterainment... Psssh
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 01:29:55 AM »
well i think cube should be king if anything snoop is the royal joker
COOLIE HIGH MySpace Page

COOLIE HIGH
WADDA DAMAGE VOL2  DEC 05'

COOLIE HIGH
WADDA DAMAGE VOL3 JAN 06'

COOLIE HIGH

AKA COOLWADDA
"UNTITLED" INDIE ALBUM FEB/MAR 06'

COOLIE HIGH

AKA COOLWADDA
SEX, DRUGS, RAP & ROLL SPRING/SUMMER 06'

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 02:11:26 AM »
The difference is Ice Cube was never as big as Snoop was @ his peak.  When Snoop was on top, he was bigger than ANYBODY has been.  He was huge, and really got a lot of white kids into rap @ a time when MTV was just beginning to get more and more hiphop dominated.  He's the reason for that. 

Ice Cube is better, but he was never as big of a phenomenon as Snoop was.  Ironically, Ice Cube laid the groundwork for Snoop to come along like he did, though. 

exactly.. being "The King" is about impact, not just about skills. As a Rapper, Ice Cube is clearly better than Snoop. But as a King, I understand how Snoop is rather considered by many people... also, many ppl might think Ras Kass is the best in the west (which I dont agree with at all, but still) .. still nofuckinbody can say Ras Kass is the King of the Westcoast.. get it? :)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Inspire / Moss

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.DUBCNN.com
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 02:47:52 AM »
Wish id got the first post on this but anyway.. like everyone else said, Snoop is more mainstream than cube

~ Westcoast News Network ~

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 07:58:47 AM »
snoop is bigger cos he is more mainstream, when did cube release an album last time?

and lmao @ yuk being prince...not too many ppl know who he even is.. at least not internationally.

to me snoop is bigger just cos that he still drops records!

Thirteen

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 08:15:56 AM »

He has though, even resently you can't say he don't make hits.

1996: 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted
1997: Only In California,
1998: Still A G Thang
1999: B Please, Still D.R.E.
2000: Next Episod, Snoop Dogg (What's My Name II), Chin Check

His covered every year since his been out with a single, and as you can see, quality singles. I think that right there shows you that it has been hit after hit for Snoop. I also see that Snoop's 12 year run is coming to an end. 12 years is along time, I can see him pulling off 8 more, not on top, but as someone that still released hits. His the westcoast LL. Instead of everyone hating on Snoop, we should regonize the great career that he has had. It's not that Snoop sucks, it's just he had two high points, 1993, and 2000. He still puts out hits, and will continue for many years I think. It's just his not westcoast don material anymore. I'm think Xzibit, but we'll see when we see what everyone has to offer. Anyways, don't knock Snoop on hits, his had at least one a year for 12 years. Shit, I can't think of another rapper that is even close. Not Nas, Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Dre, no one.

1996: 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted < a hit for 2pac
1997: Only In California, < not even close to being a hit
1998: Still A G Thang < hardly no radio play on the easy coast...still not a hit
1999: B Please, Still D.R.E. < still DRE is the hit and that's a dre song
2000: Next Episod, Snoop Dogg (What's My Name II), Chin Check <  2 out of three aren't snoop songs
2002: From Tha Chuuch To Tha Place < wasn't a hit
2004: Drop It Like It's Hot < still not on the radio over here

so you have to take out at least 5 of those years

Don Seer

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 08:40:03 AM »
let me show u something about that list...

1996: 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted < a hit for 2pac
1997: Only In California, < not even close to being a hit
1998: Still A G Thang < hardly no radio play on the easy coast...still not a hit
1999: B Please, Still D.R.E. < still DRE is the hit and that's a dre song
2000: Next Episod, Snoop Dogg (What's My Name II), Chin Check <  2 out of three aren't snoop songs

2002: From Tha Chuuch To Tha Place < wasn't a hit
2004: Drop It Like It's Hot < still not on the radio over here

the ones in bold are with dre's influence.. 

ask yourself.. how much influence has dre had on guiding snoop's career? 

add stuff Dre that didnt include snoop which was a hit..

Express Yourself.. was huge!
Let Me Ride.. also huge..
Natural Born Killers
Keep Their Heads Ringing..
Cali Love

point made?

snoop aint no where near as good without Dre... dre can do it with himself, or other people...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 10:21:44 AM »
It's easy now to say Snoop wasn't that great. In 1998, people were saying the same about Cube, if Pac and Biggie were still alive, people would do that, people did that with Jay-Z after his Nas battle. When an artist starts going down, we say that they weren't that good anyways. But Snoop made hits, his always had the right people arounnd him. That's the difference between Snoop and say MC Ren, or Rappin' 4'Tay, or a number of rappers. Snoop I say didn't take the crown until 1999, when Top Dogg dropped. Then Dre 2001 dropped, but Dre never assumed the crown, he just went off producing music, and working outside the westcoast like Eminem, and Busta Rhymes. Snoop kept it west, he had his own lable, he became a boss, put out Eastsidaz, put out Bad Azz even though it wasn't huge, was on songs with basically everybody, doing songs for soundtracks, and had his own production team that didn't include Dre. Dre still made beats, because Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg sell, but Snoop did his own thing. In 2000, Id say he took the crown, he never had the crown before then. From 1990-1993 it was Ice Cube, from 1993-1997 it was Death Row, with Dre and 'Pac being the leaders at different points, in 1997 the crown was vancant when it became clear 'Pac was really dead, and no one had the crown until 2000, when Snoop released The Last Meal, and made himself his own man, working with Timbo, working with other people, and releasing Tha Eastsidaz showing his for real about new talent. Now the boss has fallen off. Like Vito Corleone when he was seen buying fruit with one his son to protect, and his weakest son at that. Snoop is at that level now. Hell, even last year, I'd say Snoop is the unchallenged king, but right now, his fallen off, and the scramble for the crown begins.

acbaylove

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 10:29:44 AM »
1. Pac, 2. Cube, 3. Snoop

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 10:40:19 AM »
1. Pac, 2. Cube, 3. Snoop

as greatest kins of all time, I'd agree. The real question, Snoop is fading, 'Pac is dead, Cube hasn't put out a solo album in 4 years, so the real question, who will be the next king. We beat the why Snoop is king to death. The king is dying, we need someone to take over the throne.

Thirteen

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 11:37:32 AM »
i don't think there will be a king for along time, all the vets are resting on their laurels and all the new cats aren't doing it right

take for instance, game....i know he's a blood, he talks about eazy and nwa on every song, he's been shot, he's on aftermath......he should move on to the next subject

i can't listen to him because it's the same shit every song...same shit since '92

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 01:54:22 PM »
garbage