Author Topic: Can someone explain to me how a president gets elected  (Read 434 times)

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
Re: Can someone explain to me how a president gets elected
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 05:27:19 PM »
Like in  BUSH vs. GORE in 2000, you can win the popular vote (GORE) and still lose the election because you didn't get the most electoral college votes.  It doesn't happen often, but it can.

Like someone else said earlier... the state's population determines the number of electoral votes they have to give either candidate.

The reason we should have an electoral college is to make sure the candidates pay attention to most states.  Without an electoral college, the candidates could just concentrate their attention on the states with the most people in it (NEW YORK, CALI, TEXAS) and basically win the election that way because they would have the most votes.  With the electoral college, candidates need to go and fight for votes in most states so that they get the 270 total electoral votes needed to win the election.

Peace  8)

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 06:17:07 PM »
^ Yup, that's the main reason.  Then, when you win by electoral college vote, and not by the popular vote, the losing party sues to have the votes recounted, but only in counties they feel they should have won.  Then, when they're recounted, and they still lose, they sue to have them recounted agian, because they don't believe they were recounted properly.  Then, when you recount them one more time, and again, they lose, they sue to have all the overseas military (and likely republican) ballots thrown in the trash.  Why? Because hell, they're desperate.  And when they lose the opportunity to do that, and the supreme court steps in and says "You can't do shit like that over and over again",...................... then they bitch and moan and whine for the next 8 years that the sitting president stole the election. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 08:38:05 PM »
I think it was more than obvious shady shit went down in Florida 4 years ago.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

eS El Duque

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 08:52:52 PM »
white boy thet never taught you about the electoral college in school.  In school for me they didnt even teach me the basics like spelling an grammar but the taught us about the electoral college.  and especially after what happened last election i thought every1 learned what the electoral college was.

Hell I learned in school about the electoral college and I'm not even in the US.

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2004, 08:56:01 PM »
I think it was more than obvious shady shit went down in Florida 4 years ago.

i agree. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2004, 09:29:12 PM »
Another thing; why should people get out and vote? I think the only people that should vote are those that WANT to vote, not people who just go vote in a popularity contest between the two.  If you don't know the issues or know what the candidates stand for, DON'T VOTE.  Stay the hell home.  The only people that should vote are those that have taken the time to study the candidates and choose one.  And, when you go in to vote, don't vote for the local government officials if you don't know shit about them! Some judge may have totally different values than you do, and you're voting for him becuase he has an R or a D beside his name.  That's just stupid. 

So, if you don't want to vote, DON'T.  You'll fuck everything up. 

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2004, 09:33:51 PM »
Another thing; why should people get out and vote? I think the only people that should vote are those that WANT to vote, not people who just go vote in a popularity contest between the two.  If you don't know the issues or know what the candidates stand for, DON'T VOTE.  Stay the hell home.  The only people that should vote are those that have taken the time to study the candidates and choose one.  And, when you go in to vote, don't vote for the local government officials if you don't know shit about them! Some judge may have totally different values than you do, and you're voting for him becuase he has an R or a D beside his name.  That's just stupid. 

well said... i actually agree with you here.

get educated on the issues and then get out and vote.  if you don't want to, then don't... but don't get in here and bitch about what goes down.

I would hope everyone would take an election seriously, get educated, and get out and vote on Nov. 2nd.

peace  8)

Sikotic™

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2004, 09:35:44 PM »

Amen. Especially when it comes to the local officials.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE