Author Topic: Aide: Gaza Plan Aims to Block Statehood  (Read 316 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Aide: Gaza Plan Aims to Block Statehood
« on: October 10, 2004, 11:15:05 PM »
By JOSEF FEDERMAN, Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM - A top adviser to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) said in a published interview Wednesday that Israel's planned withdrawal from the Gaza Strip (news - web sites) is meant to delay the establishment of a Palestinian state indefinitely, and claimed the United States supports the policy.

The blunt assessment by Dov Weisglass, Sharon's point man with the Bush administration, came a week into a broad Israeli incursion in Gaza that has killed 75 people.

Weisglass' comments, published in the Haaretz daily, contradicted the Israeli government's assurances that it remains committed to the U.S.-backed "road map," which calls for an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel, but has been stalled for months amid violations by both sides.

Weisglass' remarks angered the Israeli left and prompted Sharon's office to issue a damage-control statement saying Israel remains committed to the road map. However, in a newspaper interview last month, Sharon said Israel is no longer following the plan.

In a radio interview Wednesday, Weisglass said his comments were taken out of context.

Haaretz said the quotes were excerpts from a full interview it plans to print on Friday. The interview included the most far-reaching comments by a senior Israeli official on Sharon's policy toward the Palestinians.

"The significance of the disengagement plan is the freezing of the peace process," Weisglass was quoted as saying.

"Effectively, the whole package called the Palestinian state with all that entails has been removed indefinitely from our agenda. And all this with authority and permission — all this with a presidential blessing and the ratification of both houses of Congress."

"What I effectively agreed to with the Americans was that part of the settlements would not be dealt with at all," Weisglass was quoted as saying.

Sharon has proposed withdrawing from Gaza and four small West Bank settlements as part of his disengagement plan meant to separate Israelis and Palestinians after four years of fighting. Sharon refuses to negotiate with the Palestinians, claiming the current leadership is not a serious peace partner.

Sharon has said he hopes the withdrawals, planned for next year, will enable Israel to consolidate control of large blocks of West Bank settlements.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath said Weisglass revealed Israel's real intentions. "Weisglass claims that the Americans are supporting him, and I would like once again to hear an American response on that matter," he said.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said the United States remains committed to the road map and believes that Israel is too. However, he said Washington had expressed concern to Israeli officials over Weisglass' statements.

Weisglass' comments appeared largely aimed at courting Israeli hard-liners. Sharon has lost his parliamentary majority over the plan, and has not been able to broaden his coalition during the summer recess. Parliament is reconvening next week and will vote on the Gaza withdrawal in coming months.

Weisglass spoke as Israel's military waged a major military campaign against Palestinian militants in the northern Gaza Strip. It was launched a week ago in response to Palestinian rocket fire that killed two Israeli children.

Since then, 75 Palestinians have been killed. The military said its missiles have killed dozens of members of rocket squads and gunmen, but Palestinian hospital officials said 30 of the dead were civilians, including women and children.

Early Wednesday, tanks fired several shells toward the Jebaliya refugee camp, scene of the heaviest fighting.

The shell hit a house, killing a father and son, ages 55 and 25, and wounding eight members of the family, Palestinian hospital official said. The army said troops fired after an anti-tank shell was launched from the house.

Also Wednesday, a 15-year-old boy died of wounds, after being shot in the head by troops as he stood on the balcony of his home outside Jebaliya, doctors said.

Later Wednesday, Israeli helicopters struck what the army said was a Hamas weapons workshop in Jebaliya. Palestinian officials said one bystander was slightly wounded.

In central Gaza, three Palestinian gunmen armed grenades and other weapons broke into the Jewish settlement of Kfar Darom under cover of mortar and anti-tank fire, and were killed in exchanges of fire with Israeli troops, the army said. A Thai worker was also killed in the fighting.

In the West Bank, meanwhile, three masked gunmen entered a Ramallah hospital, kidnapped a man inside and killed him.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, a violent group with ties to Yasser Arafat (news - web sites)'s Fatah (news - web sites) movement, claimed responsibility, saying 50-year-old Sami Burnat had sold land to Jews. Burnat had been a Palestinian prisoner and was being guarded by 10 unarmed policemen when he was abducted, officials said.

Meanwhile, a U.N. team arrived in Israel to investigate Israel's allegations the United Nations (news - web sites) Relief and Works Agency is biased against it.

Israel released a video last week it said showed a Palestinian rocket being loaded onto a U.N. ambulance. UNRWA officials said the video showed a worker putting a stretcher into the vehicle.

Israel has since backtracked on the claim, but insisted U.N. employees in the West Bank and Gaza assist militants.

The United Nations released a report Wednesday warning of an impending humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip because of Israeli policies and military operations. It said 66 percent of Gaza Palestinians live in poverty, a rate it expects to hit at least 72 percent by 2006.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20041006/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Sikotic™

Re: Aide: Gaza Plan Aims to Block Statehood
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 11:17:24 PM »
It only makes matters worse.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »
Dont get it twisted homie and think for a second this situation was remotely fair since the creation of Israel. What has happened to the Palestinians is one of the greatest injustices of the 21st century, and God willing those responsible will be punished.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »
Of course. The Israeli government has it coming to them sooner or later. You can only mistreat a group of people for so long before they can't take it anymore (civil war, revolution, whatever)
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 09:58:04 AM »
What has happened to the Palestinians is one of the greatest injustices of the 21st century, and God willing those responsible will be punished.

Agree 100%.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »
What has happened to the Palestinians is one of the greatest injustices of the 21st century, and God willing those responsible will be punished.

Agree 100%.
agreed

what i found funny was the statements about israel remaining committed to the road map when they've refused to negotiate with russia, the eu and palestine for the last year, also didn't the road map also state occupied territory had to be given back?

i want sanctions against israel for failing to take the roadmap seriously and america taken away as negotiation partner as they have very clouded judgement which doesn't reflect the international communities view, also in situations like theses its never best left for two extremely good friends (as nations) to negotiate how to end the conflict especially they way they are going about they are not trying to end it they are only trying to contain it.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Thirteen

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 10:43:02 AM »
Dont get it twisted homie and think for a second this situation was remotely fair since the creation of Israel. What has happened to the Palestinians is one of the greatest injustices of the 21st century, and God willing those responsible will be punished.

they are being punished... palestinians are dying every day

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 01:27:33 PM »
Un partition of palestine to create an independent jewish state 1947

israel 1949

Israel 1967

present day israel (turquoise and grey)

Israel has been oppression palestinians since its conception, and instead of try to make a mense they just continue to opress palestinians and try to contain their rage within over crowded refugee camps as a result of the oppression so its a never ending cycle which will never go away until israel acts to be comitted to peace or the international community must act against israel.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:29:06 PM by Don Rizzle »

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 04:40:03 PM »

Damn, those Jews got to you good. Only an idiot can be convinced that the victim is responsible for his plight. Which explains why the majority of Americans support the Israelis./

- Lewis Carroll

Thirteen

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 08:28:28 PM »

Damn, those Jews got to you good. Only an idiot can be convinced that the victim is responsible for his plight. Which explains why the majority of Americans support the Israelis./

palestinians are only victims because they wrote a check that their ass can't cash...

once again an good analogy

let's say i go to some fine dinning restaraunt.....such as Sizzlers... i order 145 of everything on the menu...i eat some of it, but when the check comes, i don't have nearly enough money to pay for it all... so taking your stance in the israel/palestine situation i could expect you to come out of the kitchen and tell every one to let me go because i made a mistake or that since i'm so poor compared to the sizzler's company, that i'm really the victim here?

i don't think so

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 03:05:32 AM »

palestinians are only victims because they wrote a check that their ass can't cash...

let's say i go to some fine dinning restaraunt.....such as Sizzlers... i order 145 of everything on the menu...i eat some of it, but when the check comes, i don't have nearly enough money to pay for it all... so taking your stance in the israel/palestine situation i could expect you to come out of the kitchen and tell every one to let me go because i made a mistake or that since i'm so poor compared to the sizzler's company, that i'm really the victim here?

i don't think so
ok the jews stole every bit of thier land off the palestinians and because they get upset over that and living one big prison, constant raids into refugee camps with buldozers to destroy schools, farms and homes, its thier own fault is it?

tommyilromano

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 04:58:17 AM »
By JOSEF FEDERMAN, Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM - A top adviser to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) said in a published interview Wednesday that Israel's planned withdrawal from the Gaza Strip (news - web sites) is meant to delay the establishment of a Palestinian state indefinitely, and claimed the United States supports the policy.

The blunt assessment by Dov Weisglass, Sharon's point man with the Bush administration, came a week into a broad Israeli incursion in Gaza that has killed 75 people.

Weisglass' comments, published in the Haaretz daily, contradicted the Israeli government's assurances that it remains committed to the U.S.-backed "road map," which calls for an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel, but has been stalled for months amid violations by both sides.

Weisglass' remarks angered the Israeli left and prompted Sharon's office to issue a damage-control statement saying Israel remains committed to the road map. However, in a newspaper interview last month, Sharon said Israel is no longer following the plan.

In a radio interview Wednesday, Weisglass said his comments were taken out of context.

Haaretz said the quotes were excerpts from a full interview it plans to print on Friday. The interview included the most far-reaching comments by a senior Israeli official on Sharon's policy toward the Palestinians.

"The significance of the disengagement plan is the freezing of the peace process," Weisglass was quoted as saying.

"Effectively, the whole package called the Palestinian state with all that entails has been removed indefinitely from our agenda. And all this with authority and permission — all this with a presidential blessing and the ratification of both houses of Congress."

"What I effectively agreed to with the Americans was that part of the settlements would not be dealt with at all," Weisglass was quoted as saying.

Sharon has proposed withdrawing from Gaza and four small West Bank settlements as part of his disengagement plan meant to separate Israelis and Palestinians after four years of fighting. Sharon refuses to negotiate with the Palestinians, claiming the current leadership is not a serious peace partner.

Sharon has said he hopes the withdrawals, planned for next year, will enable Israel to consolidate control of large blocks of West Bank settlements.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath said Weisglass revealed Israel's real intentions. "Weisglass claims that the Americans are supporting him, and I would like once again to hear an American response on that matter," he said.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said the United States remains committed to the road map and believes that Israel is too. However, he said Washington had expressed concern to Israeli officials over Weisglass' statements.

Weisglass' comments appeared largely aimed at courting Israeli hard-liners. Sharon has lost his parliamentary majority over the plan, and has not been able to broaden his coalition during the summer recess. Parliament is reconvening next week and will vote on the Gaza withdrawal in coming months.

Weisglass spoke as Israel's military waged a major military campaign against Palestinian militants in the northern Gaza Strip. It was launched a week ago in response to Palestinian rocket fire that killed two Israeli children.

Since then, 75 Palestinians have been killed. The military said its missiles have killed dozens of members of rocket squads and gunmen, but Palestinian hospital officials said 30 of the dead were civilians, including women and children.

Early Wednesday, tanks fired several shells toward the Jebaliya refugee camp, scene of the heaviest fighting.

The shell hit a house, killing a father and son, ages 55 and 25, and wounding eight members of the family, Palestinian hospital official said. The army said troops fired after an anti-tank shell was launched from the house.

Also Wednesday, a 15-year-old boy died of wounds, after being shot in the head by troops as he stood on the balcony of his home outside Jebaliya, doctors said.

Later Wednesday, Israeli helicopters struck what the army said was a Hamas weapons workshop in Jebaliya. Palestinian officials said one bystander was slightly wounded.

In central Gaza, three Palestinian gunmen armed grenades and other weapons broke into the Jewish settlement of Kfar Darom under cover of mortar and anti-tank fire, and were killed in exchanges of fire with Israeli troops, the army said. A Thai worker was also killed in the fighting.

In the West Bank, meanwhile, three masked gunmen entered a Ramallah hospital, kidnapped a man inside and killed him.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, a violent group with ties to Yasser Arafat (news - web sites)'s Fatah (news - web sites) movement, claimed responsibility, saying 50-year-old Sami Burnat had sold land to Jews. Burnat had been a Palestinian prisoner and was being guarded by 10 unarmed policemen when he was abducted, officials said.

Meanwhile, a U.N. team arrived in Israel to investigate Israel's allegations the United Nations (news - web sites) Relief and Works Agency is biased against it.

Israel released a video last week it said showed a Palestinian rocket being loaded onto a U.N. ambulance. UNRWA officials said the video showed a worker putting a stretcher into the vehicle.

Israel has since backtracked on the claim, but insisted U.N. employees in the West Bank and Gaza assist militants.

The United Nations released a report Wednesday warning of an impending humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip because of Israeli policies and military operations. It said 66 percent of Gaza Palestinians live in poverty, a rate it expects to hit at least 72 percent by 2006.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20041006/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

Well at least we agree on one subject.

tommyilromano

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 05:01:14 AM »
This is one subject where I am always at odds with the majority of Americans and support for Israel in the US is pretty solid no matter what political party.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 08:58:22 AM by tommyilromano »

Thirteen

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 06:54:34 AM »

i don't think so
ok the jews stole every bit of thier land off the palestinians and because they get upset over that and living one big prison, constant raids into refugee camps with buldozers to destroy schools, farms and homes, its thier own fault is it?

why don't you go back to the beginning when the world was trying to make peace between these two people and the palestinians said that there would be no peace and that they were going to either kill all the jews or chase them from this land...

they talked shit, they couldn't back it up, they got what they deserve. how are you going to feel bad for a group of people that declared war and then lost the war? i know mosst of you foreign people on this board would be happy as fuck if the US declared war on iraq...then started losing and we started getting invaded by iraq.... you would think it served us right....

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 07:04:43 AM »
1. israel never accepted the UN partition plan as it was too limiting
2. palestinians and arabs declared war because their land was taken away from, just because they lost doesn't mean they were wrong
3. they never attatcked a country on another continent, the war was where they live