Author Topic: B.E.T. to ban ems just lose it. Michael Jackson to sue?  (Read 1025 times)

SGV

Re: B.E.T. to ban ems just lose it. Michael Jackson to sue?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 05:08:55 AM »
Thanks for the publicity? Do you work for Shady Records?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 05:42:28 AM »
Blink 182 ran around naked alltogether in the Clip for "What's my Age Again" or some other single Im not sure.

But hey it's Black EnterTainment, and while Em is white they prolly just waited for a chance to ban him. Racists.  8)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Seer

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 05:50:07 AM »
( bjax gets a prop for appreciating the boondocks..)

dexter

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 06:20:20 AM »
Two sides of the same Coin
BET AND MTV owned by the Same Company.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 07:46:28 AM »

Okay, I don't particularly care for the song, but Rap in general is not about letting the music speak for itself. The man making the music was always more important than the music itself. Whether it be thugs proving how gangster they are, or "real MCs" who talk about how "real" they are, and how fake everyone in the mainstream is. You name me one rap artist that's puts his music before who he is as a person. Rap has been built upon selling who you are, or who you want to be, and putting the music second.

yeah, that's a point, but rap being used as a platform for self-portrayal is not necessarily something negative. Musically, it is often quite simple, but IMO it's the MC's who make those minimalistic compositions dope. I see "NY State Of Mind" and "Shook Ones Pt. II" as two of the greatest examples of how to make a (almost) perfect song, but that is to a considerable extent because of Nas/Prodigy/Havoc on the mic. If you had to listen to those beats for 5 minutes you probably wouldn't think it's that great and be annoyed by how goddamn repetitive it is

I didn't actually say it was a bad thing, I was just responding to what that guy said. As for putting hte man before the music, I wasn't talking about the "music", I meant the lyrics of the song. Most songs by most artists are about themselves, or how they want to be. You rarely come across as song that is simply that, a song. A song that can be covered by others, and doesn't directly involve the artist. I'm not saying there aren't any but if you find one, look at the rest of the songs by that artist and over 75% wil be about him and how good he is, and maybe 25% will be just songs about something else. I mean, how many times do you hear a rock n rolll band sing lyrics about how good they are at singing, or how great the guitar player is? Why are rappers so self obsessed?

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 09:54:31 AM »
^^ lol yeah, that is embedded in the culture of hiphop, because hiphop has always been always competitive since back in its earliest days, who got the loudest sound system, who got the dopest linebombings etc. and of course battles have always been important. You can like or dislike that, but that's why alot of hiphop is the artists biggin up themselves. But then it could often be covered just like love songs; if you recite one of Big L's raps and replace specific references it's actually similar to reciting a love song; you recite something that the original writer had told from his perspective, but it's universal enough to be put in anybody's mouth; instead of universal love stuff it's universal bragging stuff.

But I get your point, i wish there was some more variety to the lyrics of many hiphop artists too. That don't even mean it has to be non-personal stuff tho, i'd be glad about some more self-reflective stuff instead of MC's biggin themselves up. Fact remains that hiphop being a way of competing had a quite positive effect too, as it got youths away from doin bs on the streets and that it is therefore logical this sense of competition is still there today and something that hiphop lives off.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »
The Source lost integrity YEARS ago. People called them out in like 98. But, fell on deaf ears, until they dissed the golden boy. This coming from someone who is KNOWN for dissing Eminem, I haven't toook The Source serious for years. Anyone who takes ANY of these mag's serious is an idiot. XXL is JUST as bad as The Source, but they're more low key about it. They diss artists ALL the time. Hell, if dedicating a majority of one of their magazines to DISSING Eminem isn't losing integrity, then I don't know what is. LOL.

are you referring to XXL dissin Em? because from what i know when they did that, the staff was pretty much completly different...but i don't 'take those mags serious' either, it's all about competition and possible advantages, still XXL have lately NOT been puttin all their energy into dragging someone through the mud

Wellz

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 10:09:15 AM »
i just saw Em's video on BET

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2004, 11:20:07 AM »
I doubt Michael will sue i remember the same story coming out over scary movie 3.

fuck michael, he's sick bastard,

u got any evidence on this or just what u read?

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2004, 11:34:34 AM »
^^ lol yeah, that is embedded in the culture of hiphop, because hiphop has always been always competitive since back in its earliest days, who got the loudest sound system, who got the dopest linebombings etc. and of course battles have always been important. You can like or dislike that, but that's why alot of hiphop is the artists biggin up themselves. But then it could often be covered just like love songs; if you recite one of Big L's raps and replace specific references it's actually similar to reciting a love song; you recite something that the original writer had told from his perspective, but it's universal enough to be put in anybody's mouth; instead of universal love stuff it's universal bragging stuff.

But I get your point, i wish there was some more variety to the lyrics of many hiphop artists too. That don't even mean it has to be non-personal stuff tho, i'd be glad about some more self-reflective stuff instead of MC's biggin themselves up. Fact remains that hiphop being a way of competing had a quite positive effect too, as it got youths away from doin bs on the streets and that it is therefore logical this sense of competition is still there today and something that hiphop lives off.

I don't mind if the songs are personal, so long as there somewhat universal and relatable. Tupac's Dear Mama is a great song, and can share the same emotion 15 years from now if it were to be covered. Even from a non rapper it could work. A singer like Billy Joel, Elton John, Baby Face, or Keb Mo could rework that song and make it work. If they were to try and cover Tupac's Bomb First, it would be ridculous, but very very funny. Songs like Big L's Platinum Plus or Holdin' It Down, and just about anything by Mobb Deep would also be stupid.

Nas is okay when it comes to versatility, but a lot of his stories are over the top and to complicated for people to relate with. It's more like he just writes second rate mob movies. He should just keep it simple.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 02:46:28 PM »

man, you're always looking for an arguement even when you're wrong.
How am I wrong? Get that dick out your mouth fag. Eminem FINALLY got called on the shit he does. People ARE allowed to be offended at different shit than you. I don't give a fuck. I think Eminem's antics lost their flare about 5 years ago. He should've known that someone was gonna get upset at this. But, in the end, it don't matter. Teeny boppers like yourself and the rest of the TRL viewers are gonna eat this up.

I applaud BET for taking a stand on this guy. The media loves him, which I proved with MTV's celebration of his Birthday. Where's the celebration for Dre's birthday? Jay's birthday? Biggie's? Pac's? Snoop's? The dickriding was getting out of hand, BET just balanced it.

I sense all Shady/Aftermath fans are gonna start hating BET, much like the Source.

1. you're alowed to think whatever you want about eminem and his career but just because someone likes eminem it doesn't mean they're a teeny bopper or what not, correct if i'm wrong but arn't you the one who is down for lil jon? i'm sorry but that is no more teeny bopper than em. those who live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones. lol

2. your second paragraph reaks of ignorance. no celebration for those other artists.? i'm sorry but pac and biggie are always remembered by MTV on their birthdays and days of assasination annually. i don't even get to watch much tv and i witnessed pac's in june and September. Dre had a whole 2 hours on mtv when chronic 2001 came out. jay got so much attention when he retired and every other time he released records, so to say this shit about em being some special lap dog is rediculous. Eminem like it or not is the biggest single artist .....in hip hop history , he's eclipsed pac. Em right now is the 00's to elvis in the 50's, em right now is the 00's answer to the beatles in the 60's. eminem is to the 00's what Jacko was to the 80's....and so on of corse he's going to get bigger attention than jay, biggie pac, and dre.....he's bigger than all of them minus pac combined.

3. it's BET's job to balance how popular someone is? if that's true why don't they excercise this more.  excuse me if the shoe was on the other foot and MTV was banning a black dudue over some bull shit it'd be a national travisty ....go get jesse jackson and sharpton blacks are being oppressed again! shut the fuck up SGV 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:51:10 PM by Jake La Motta »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sikotic™

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 02:50:42 PM »
Anybody hear The Steve Harvey show this morning? Harvey took it way too far againsy Eminem trying to make it a racial issue. It really pisses me off when people do shit liek that. I like Steve Harvey's show, but come on, how does the Lose It video have anything to do with racism? He also brough up the whole nigga bitch shit EMinem said way before he ever blew up like it was even relevant to the argument.

The only thing I agreed on with Steve Harvey was how hypocritical Eminem is for dissing MJ. He made a good point about how Eminem is going through the struggle of getting custody of his daughter, and how they are trying to take MJ's kids away from him. It's a pretty weak point, but it makes sense.

All in all, the entire thing is stupid. I hope they ban the damn song because it sucks so bad.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

SGV

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 02:56:03 PM »
I don't see how Lil' Jon is tenny bop. His records aren't exactly the re-incanation of New Kids On The Block, whereas "Just Lose It," "My Name Is," "My Band," "Real Slim Shady" etc. EMBODY Tenny bop. Anyway...

I've seen HOMAGE paid to artists(various show), but never a FULL day dedicated to an artist for their birthday. It's one thing to get attention, it's another for a station to dickride you.

MTV doesn't come out and say they ban artists, but they don't play a lot of people. But, they banned that Booyaa T.R.I.B.E. video though, which had nothing real bad in it. Had a bunch of foos working out and partying. WOW, HOW OFFENSIVE!!!!! Yet, Eminem can portray Michael Jackson as a child molester, he can run around naked, etc.? How about you shut the fuck up Jonathan.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2004, 05:41:13 PM »
"face off, wave the four-five at your face dawg"

ray is somewhere smiling right now!!!! 8)
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

The Watcher

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2004, 06:00:35 PM »
http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=3606

I bet Em is gonna be kinda pissed right now. Why do people always have to make it a race issue? He makes fun of MJ and he's makin fun of the whole black community?
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden