Author Topic: Draft US Military  (Read 334 times)

dexter

Draft US Military
« on: October 12, 2004, 06:32:11 AM »
Who thinks there will be one in the future
besides me?

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Draft US Military
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 06:37:18 AM »
not me
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 08:03:39 AM »
This is just paranoia on the part of the young people in America.  George Bush said last week

"There will be no draft as long as I am president". 

During the debate he said in his closing arguments

"I will have an all volunteer military"

and, recent 'draft' legislation introduced in the House of Representatives was started by 2 Democrats, one who voted against it after starting the legislation, and another who was trying to scare people into thinking the government is trying to enact a draft.  The resolution only had 2 votes for it, and the Senate majority leader refused to even hold a vote. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
If we go after Iraq and suffer a large amount of casualties, then I think it will be reinstated.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

tommyilromano

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:42:09 PM »
If we go after Iraq and suffer a large amount of casualties, then I think it will be reinstated.

Ummm.... Haven't we already gone after Iraq?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 02:46:25 PM »
i doubt there will be a draft

Woodrow

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »
Republicans Vote Down Draft Bill In Hopes Of Ending Rumors

If the possibility of being drafted into the armed forces has been keeping you up at night, rest easy. On Tuesday the House of Representatives arranged a political funeral for a bill that could have reinstated the draft, laying it to rest with an overwhelming 402-2 vote.

The bill, HR 163, would've required all men and women between ages 18-26 to serve at least two years of military or civilian service. Republicans brought it to a hasty vote in an effort to quell rumors that the Bush administration was secretly planning to revive the draft.

Lawmakers engaged in a contentious 40-minute debate, during which Democrats accused GOP Representatives of forcing the vote for political purposes while the troops are stretched thin abroad.

"All of the evidence indicates that we have exhausted our active troops," New York Democrat Charles Rangel said during the debate. "We are exhausting the Reserves; we are exhausting the National Guard."

Rangel introduced the bill in January 2003, but it had stalled in a House committee. He went on to explain that if the war continues without a draft in place, there will be no way to ensure that the burden of service will fall equally on Americans of all backgrounds, because those who volunteer tend to be from lower-income families.

"There should be a plea for the rich and the poor, which is so eloquently stated but not followed, to be volunteering and joining and having the honor to say they defended our country at a time of war," argued Rangel, who himself voted against the bill.

But Republicans, who in the weeks leading up to the election have been feeling the heat from increased chatter about a new draft, moved quickly to vote. Defeating the bill, they hoped, would be the final nail in the coffin of Internet rumors circulated over the summer, detailing Bush's plans to resurrect the draft in a second term.

The president sought to distance himself from the bill during a campaign stop in Iowa on Tuesday. Bush reasserted his position that the United States "will not have a draft so long as I am president."

Kerry has also declared he has no plans to reinstate the draft, but his camp has been accused of feeding the rumor mill in hopes of scaring young people and their parents from voting for Bush. While campaigning in Iowa on Tuesday, Kerry told reporters, "I've never said they're going to have a draft. I've said I don't know what they're going to do. I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to pursue a policy that guarantees we don't have to have a draft."

Despite the defeat of HR 163, some critics still see the debate as far from over. "The question is not if we want to have a draft, but whether or not current and future requirements will ultimately necessitate a draft," Rock the Vote President Jehmu Greene said in a statement released just before the House took up the issue.

—Nastassia Lopez

http://www.mtv.com/chooseorlose/headlines/news.jhtml?id=1492008&_requestid=236549

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 02:58:25 PM »
It's not even really an issue of parties. I'm concerned about both of them possibly pushing for it in the future. Of course not now, because it's too big of an issue for the election.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

dexter

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 08:01:07 AM »
there Will be a draft Youngsters

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 01:00:58 PM »
lol ok ill quote you on that.

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 04:24:26 PM »

I knew he was working for the gov't

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Woodrow

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 10:13:53 AM »

I knew he was working for the gov't

Yep. He's Vice president of Dumfuckistan

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 10:15:17 AM »
dexter is one of the dumbest people on this board.. along with me and infinite  :D

dexter

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 10:35:37 AM »
^You forgot ol' Woody The  Dumbprick

Suga Foot

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 02:40:06 PM »
If there is a draft, we're gonna get a hell of a lot more people here in Canda dodging it.  I just saw on the news the other day, they built a monument for the Vietnam draft dodgers in Nelson, BC.