Author Topic: another mass grave in Iraq  (Read 568 times)

Thirteen

another mass grave in Iraq
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:38:36 PM »
Mass grave unearthed in Iraq
Wednesday, October 13, 2004 Posted: 2:18 PM EDT (1818 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. forces have exhumed a mass grave in northwestern Iraq and uncovered the remains of hundreds of people.

Many of the bodies found at the site near al-Hatra are believed to be the bodies of Kurdish women and children thought slaughtered by the Saddam Hussein regime.

A pool reporter recently was taken to the site, and the evidence gathered at the site -- a remote wadi, or valley that cannot be seen by passing vehicles -- is expected to be used in the war crimes trial against Saddam Hussein and his Baathist allies.

"A perfect place for execution," Greg Kehoe, the head of the Regime Crime Liaison Office and leader of the forensic excavation, said Wednesday.

"It is my personal opinion that this is a killing field," Kehoe told reporters during a visit to the site south of Mosul.

"Someone used this field on significant occasions over time to take bodies up there, and to take people up there and execute them."

Authorities began digging September 1 at the site, found a year ago by the U.S. Army.

Crews have excavated two grave trenches, and officials say there could be as many as 12 in the general area. Kehoe said the bodies were apparently bulldozed into the graves.

"Unlike bodies that you've seen in many mass graves -- they look like cordwood -- all lined up," he said. "That didn't happen here. These bodies were just pushed in."

The first trench contains the remains of women and children, and the second contains the remains of men only. More than 100 bodies have been found from the first location and a similar number from the other.

Officials say it is enough to determine a pattern for the killings.

Kehoe said the victims appear to be Kurds, based on the dress and the personal belongings found.

He believes they were probably killed in early 1988, though it might have happened in late 1987.

Many of the victims wore multiple layers of clothing and carried small personal items like jewelry and medication. One child was found with a ball in his hand.

The women -- four or five of whom were pregnant -- and children appear to have been killed with a single small-caliber gunshot to the head.

Some of the women were blindfolded, but Kehoe says 95 percent of the men were blindfolded and had their hands either tied to the man next to them or tied behind their back. Al-Hatra is in Nineveh province, the location of Mosul and Tal Afar.

A lawyer, Kehoe also spent five years working on the Balkans War Crimes Tribunal.

Kehoe said that most mass graves in Bosnia largely contained men of fighting age. Graves near Hatra included many women and children, he said.

"Genocide is the attempt to eliminate, limit or exterminate a religious, ethnic, national or racial group," he said.

"The Kurds are clearly a different nationality. So could it be considered genocide? It could be. Killing, ethnic cleansing, property relocations, all of those were used to try to limit the Kurdish population. What it is fundamentally is downright murder."

Human rights groups believe about 300,000 people were killed during Saddam's 24-year rule, which ended when U.S.-led forces toppled his regime in 2003.

Saddam is set to stand trial for crimes against humanity and other offenses next year. No trial date has been set.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 12:51:47 PM by Cartman »

mauzip

Re: another mass grave in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:48:26 PM »
and then people still say there wasn't any reason to invade iraq ::)

Thirteen

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:52:53 PM »
and then people still say there wasn't any reason to invade iraq ::)

you forgot the muslim/arab handbook they can kill who ever they want but if a westerner kills them, then it's horrible

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
You fuckin idiots. THESE MASS GRAVES HAPPENED UNDER AMERICAN SUPERVISION AND/OR APPROVAL. so the only thing proven is how complicit your govt is in these crimes.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:30:47 PM »
o yeah i forgot.

This is bush fault, and he made these mass graves.....and then he uncovered them.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:43:37 PM »
Boy, wash your mouth with soap, and slap your self. Your posting game is under sanctions till youre able to put together a relevent sentence. That means no post zones, and TOT is one of them.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 03:36:48 PM »
You fuckin idiots. THESE MASS GRAVES HAPPENED UNDER AMERICAN SUPERVISION AND/OR APPROVAL. so the only thing proven is how complicit your govt is in these crimes.

Conspiracy Theory's  are not proof.

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 07:50:53 PM »
So I guess this should make me want to justify the war now.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Thirteen

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 08:23:20 PM »

um wouldn't we have found them all already?

if i supervised you taking out the trash at sizzlers...it wouldn't take me a year to figure out where you put the trash... once again, it's just common sense

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 08:43:51 PM »
Man, if this is your form of arguing and your level of thinking, it is a dis service to me to keep arguing with you.

So because Saddam didnt have the courtesy to completely inform the Americans of the geographical location of dead bodies that absolves the Americans completely?

- Lewis Carroll

Thirteen

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 08:49:33 PM »
Man, if this is your form of arguing and your level of thinking, it is a dis service to me to keep arguing with you.

So because Saddam didnt have the courtesy to completely inform the Americans of the geographical location of dead bodies that absolves the Americans completely?

but you said america supervised in this killings...i don't know what kind of supervision they teach at sizzlers, but in the grown up world, supervisors end up knowing all the details of what ever task they are supposed to accomplish

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 08:53:41 PM »
Yes, you dumb ass, the Americans supplied the weapons the Iraqis used on the Kurds,. They allowed, sat and watched Hussein crush the north and southern insurgencies following Gulf War. So yes, the Americans did know that Kurds were gettin it in the North and the Shias were gettin it in the South. Whether or not they know the exact precise location of graves is completely irrelevent.

Also, why are you mentioning the fact that America hasnt discovered these graves as proof. Why are you assuming there is a concious effort to unearth graves by America?

- Lewis Carroll

Thirteen

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 09:03:33 PM »
Yes, you dumb ass, the Americans supplied the weapons the Iraqis used on the Kurds,. They allowed, sat and watched Hussein crush the north and southern insurgencies following Gulf War. So yes, the Americans did know that Kurds were gettin it in the North and the Shias were gettin it in the South. Whether or not they know the exact precise location of graves is completely irrelevent.

Also, why are you mentioning the fact that America hasnt discovered these graves as proof. Why are you assuming there is a concious effort to unearth graves by America?

once again..if america watched them kill a bunch of people, then they would know where they are... are you just learning the english language?

anyways i attribute the consious effort part to two parts...

first...i don't know if you ever held a gun before...but it's kinda hard to cover your back when you're digging up graves...seeing as america is losing the war against terrorism i would think they'd have better things to do than dig up graves on accident

secondly....what better way to make yourself better looking to slap a few more cases of genocide on the person you've ousted out of leadership?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 09:29:36 PM »
Your problem Smerlus, is not that youre an inherent dumbness, a paralyzing stupidity that just shuts down the mental capacity. You just dont understand how politics works and how things go down in the world.

Americans soldiers werent standing guard sippin Dom Perignom when this was going down but they KNEW it was going down and where. Why theyre not finding it is their own concern, but they know about it cuz they let it happen. Do you understand this concept?

- Lewis Carroll

Thirteen

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 09:36:35 PM »
well then i guess everyone knew taht it was happening...just like i know a a dozen people in the world just died while i typed this up... i guess that makes me guilty for that