Author Topic: You Can Kiss KRS-1's Career Goodbye  (Read 911 times)

mrtonguetwista

You Can Kiss KRS-1's Career Goodbye
« on: October 15, 2004, 07:53:53 PM »
KRS-ONE: WTC ATTACKS WERE 'JUSTICE FOR BLACK PEOPLE'

Rapper KRS-One horrified other panelists during this month's New Yorker Festival when he claimed the September 11 atrocities were "justice" for black Americans and the hip-hop community.
The star, whose real name is Kris Parker, joined former Nirvana rocker Krist Novosolic and Henry Rollins on the panel of the "Political Rockers" event at the annual festival on October 2.

KRS-One claimed he and other African Americans "cheered when 9/11 happened. I say that proudly."

The rapper alleged security guards kept black people out of the Twin Towers, "Because of the way we talk and dress.

"So when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm -- justice.' 9/11 doesn't affect us. 9/11 happened to them, not us.

"By them, I mean the rich -- those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."

Novelist Tom Kelly, who was sitting in the audience, booed the rapper and later told the New York Daily News, "I lost six friends there on 9/11."

KRS-One added that he wasn't bothered about the upcoming Presidential election next month, saying, "Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption. America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."

An angry Novoselic responded, "That is wrong, man. Suicide is not the answer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: You Can Kiss KRS-1's Career Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 08:41:16 PM »
This guy's a real peice of shit. Just last year he was saying Jesus this and Jesus that, and now he's saying he was glad at the death of fellow human beings. I'm a Christian, and the murder of any human being bothers me. I would never go around praising the fact that innocent people died. I bet if his mother or children were in that building when it dropped he wouldn't have been chanting " justice"! He'd probably be blaming the white man and knock out anyone who was saying what he's saying now. I always had respect for KRS, but this is disgusting. I read this on Rollingstone and it seems to be real. If it isn't I apologize, but I think it is, so Fuck KRS (if it's real).

Oh, and for the record, his career hit a peak when he appeared in the REM video. It was all down hill from there. He doesn't have to worry about this ruining his career. It's been over for years.

Uneek Nicca

• Lil Geezy
  • Peeps hate dying,BUT die hating!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:22:10 PM »
Shyt, I'm black.. and I ain't cheer for that shyt.. And I DONT know ANY other black person that cheered for it...

BTW, I KNOW a whole lot of BLACK people WILL cheer when Bush is OUT of OFFICE though

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »
^^ That's because there's one thing to be political, but when yoiur politics makes you start wanting people dead, you're a fuck up.  There's nothing wrong with wanting Bush out of office, or not liking him, or disagreeing with him, but KRS saying he was happy to see the trade center get bombed? I'll be happy when some hick shoots his ass, fuck him. 

pappy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 09:43:45 PM »
even b4 he said this, it was common knowledge to hip hop heads kris parker wasnt all there.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 09:56:54 PM »
Now he's changing his story a bit.

This is his response to the news article:

KRS-ONE’S RESPONSE TO THE DAILY NEWS

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read my words taken out of context I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant or even a complete quote of my point is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as “we cheered when 911 happened!” I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day. I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!

A young lady asked about what we can do beyond voting to change the political state of things in our country? I responded not by irresponsibly stating that “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place” and that’s all. I am a poet and I speak poetically. My full statement was “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place. If you want to go beyond voting American interests must put a gun to its head and commit suicide because as long as we are only interested in American interests we go out and invade the rest of the world. The real question is are you a citizen of the United States or are you a citizen of the world? And so for me, I would say voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption.”

I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. My views were indeed different and most were personal. However, when I was asked about why Hiphop has not engaged the current situation more (meaning 911) my responds was “because it does not affect us, or at least we don’t perceive that it effects us, 911 happened to them”. I went on to say that “I am speaking for the culture now; I am not speaking my personal opinion”. I continued to say; “911 effected them down the block; the rich, the powerful those that are oppressing us as a culture. Sony, RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations, Clear Channel, Viacom with BET and MTV, those are our oppressors those are the people that we’re trying to overcome in Hiphop everyday, this is a daily thing. We cheered when 911 happened in New York and say that proudly here. Because when we were down at the trade center we were getting hit over the head by cops, told that we can’t come in this building, hustled down to the train station because of the way we dressed and talked, and so on, we were racially profiled. So, when the planes hit the building we were like; mmmm justice.” And just as I began to say “now of course a lot of our friends and family were lost there as well” but I was interrupted.

My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall. These are not my views only; these views represent a popular truth that few people are really ready to hear. No one wished death on anyone or just sat and “cheered when 911 happened”. But some of us can see through the bullshit! America must change its approach to the world and its citizens. This, I believe is what all Americans should be thinking about. How do we make our country better?

For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. So how all of a sudden now can I be aligned with Al Qaeda? What happened to honest debate and freedom of speech! I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to align me with Al Qaeda is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the street voice of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it, so what’s the point. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the one-sided Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that it (the Daily News) has tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2001 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say about its view of world events then don’t ask!

I still think this guy is fucked. Doesn't Jesus say "love your enemy". I thought KRS said he was fighting for Jesus now. Well I don't think Jesus would agree with him on this.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:36:00 PM »
This piece of shit isn't worth several paragraphs of my time, I didn't read it, I won't read it, and he can just get over himself, the arrogant motherfucker.  He thinks he's an intellectual, he's not.  He's just another blabbermouth who thinks somebody gives a shit about him and his pseudo 20 year ago celebrity. 

Immortal

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 12:29:19 AM »
Now he's changing his story a bit.

This is his response to the news article:

KRS-ONE’S RESPONSE TO THE DAILY NEWS

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read my words taken out of context I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant or even a complete quote of my point is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as “we cheered when 911 happened!” I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day. I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!

A young lady asked about what we can do beyond voting to change the political state of things in our country? I responded not by irresponsibly stating that “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place” and that’s all. I am a poet and I speak poetically. My full statement was “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place. If you want to go beyond voting American interests must put a gun to its head and commit suicide because as long as we are only interested in American interests we go out and invade the rest of the world. The real question is are you a citizen of the United States or are you a citizen of the world? And so for me, I would say voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption.”

I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. My views were indeed different and most were personal. However, when I was asked about why Hiphop has not engaged the current situation more (meaning 911) my responds was “because it does not affect us, or at least we don’t perceive that it effects us, 911 happened to them”. I went on to say that “I am speaking for the culture now; I am not speaking my personal opinion”. I continued to say; “911 effected them down the block; the rich, the powerful those that are oppressing us as a culture. Sony, RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations, Clear Channel, Viacom with BET and MTV, those are our oppressors those are the people that we’re trying to overcome in Hiphop everyday, this is a daily thing. We cheered when 911 happened in New York and say that proudly here. Because when we were down at the trade center we were getting hit over the head by cops, told that we can’t come in this building, hustled down to the train station because of the way we dressed and talked, and so on, we were racially profiled. So, when the planes hit the building we were like; mmmm justice.” And just as I began to say “now of course a lot of our friends and family were lost there as well” but I was interrupted.

My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall. These are not my views only; these views represent a popular truth that few people are really ready to hear. No one wished death on anyone or just sat and “cheered when 911 happened”. But some of us can see through the bullshit! America must change its approach to the world and its citizens. This, I believe is what all Americans should be thinking about. How do we make our country better?

For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. So how all of a sudden now can I be aligned with Al Qaeda? What happened to honest debate and freedom of speech! I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to align me with Al Qaeda is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the street voice of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it, so what’s the point. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the one-sided Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that it (the Daily News) has tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2001 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say about its view of world events then don’t ask!

I still think this guy is fucked. Doesn't Jesus say "love your enemy". I thought KRS said he was fighting for Jesus now. Well I don't think Jesus would agree with him on this.

not sure what to say....I can understand his side of the story a bit. PEACE
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 12:43:30 AM »
idiot

IzUwitIt

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 03:57:33 AM »
even b4 he said this, it was common knowledge to hip hop heads kris parker wasnt all there.

word, punk muh'fucca

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 04:47:03 AM »
hm, weird. I could understand justice for arabs. But justice for black people? That doesnt even make sense lol. Punk.

what he says in his elaborate response is not too far off though... fuck the media
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 04:53:20 AM by 7even the Harbinger »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 05:33:53 AM »
while he might have some points, there is no excuse for the shit the Daily News quoted. And his fuckin response as to how he was 'taken out of context' doesn't provide any excuse either. It's not only cynical, but also straight up dumb to claim 9/11 was 'justice for black people' especially when your main point is racial prejudice towards blacks by WTC security. that's so fuckin blown outta proportion, think about it, 6,000 lives were lost and that includes several black lives from what i know. again, that is cynical and fuckin stupid at the same time. And it still is if you consider it 'retaliation' for the black people and injustice towards them not particularly related to the WTC, because saying that goes against christian beliefs and promoting peace and unity and seeing any kind of 'justice' in such an act (when you consider yourself a religious or religiously inspired 'spiritual minded' 'preacher') is HIGHLY ambivalent, contradictory and fuckin stupid. KRS is a punk

and what bothers me too is his incredibly presumptous and self-righteous approach to everything. He seems to be absolutely incapable of getting rid of his cockiness for a second (let alone reconsider his views instead of attacking anybody who might not share them), pointing out what a truth-speaking poet and philosopher he is various times. "I'm no. 1, oops sorry i lie, I'm no. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5". He already gets on my nerves compulsively including shit like that in political songs and messages, but in this context it gets sickening. Cocky ass bastard

i'm not even defending the media, nor the way blacks are treated or anything. KRS points out true things, but 9/11 was/is not justice for anything or anybody (on a side note, DEFINITELY not for muslims as they suffered most from the consequences) and anybody within the hiphop community of a halfway decent intellect who really wants peace should agree on that. if not, he/she'd have to come up with hella better points than KRS. It's a shame

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 05:51:59 AM »
The man must be out his muthafuckin mind to think 9/11 did justice to anybody. :loco:

The Watcher

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 06:21:46 AM »
id like to see how many copies his next album sells
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 07:17:02 AM »
In his response he did raise some valid points, but the quotes that were used either in or out of context in the newspapers do inplicate him. Quite why anyone thinks this is going to have an effect on his next album sales though I don't know. The people who actually still buy Krs albums aren't gonna stop going to just because of this speech, most of them (probably 9 out of the 10 remaining fans) have the same views anyway.