Author Topic: Some thoughts on fasting  (Read 724 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Some thoughts on fasting
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 03:28:23 AM »
 ::)

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 04:47:52 PM »
::)

Rolling your eyes isn't going to help your migrane or whatever you want to call your lack of intelligence

DAYUM

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 05:30:47 PM »
1. if i dont eat i feel weak as hell and i my stomach feels empty
2. i smoke too much and ill get the munchies
3. i dont eat breakfast anyways im not much of a morning person

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 02:01:40 AM »
Jews fast once a year on Yom Kippur to ask God for forgiveness and rid themselves of their sins from the past year...

acbaylove

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2004, 03:29:45 AM »
Sorry man but since i know this topic turned into a diss, i didnt read it at all. I just wanna make you a question, since your point was to share your experience with us. How do you feel now? I got respect for Ramadan (i mean i dont do it, and i will never, but it's your life, and i respect it). Dont quote me Coran or books, i wanna know about you. Did you understood something by this experience? Was it worth is? And how it was phisically? And, the last question, why you do it? (i mean muslims, why you do it?). Tnx.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 05:08:20 AM »
sometimes I get the expression that people think their god don't wants them to enjoy life.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 05:54:13 AM »
sometimes I get the expression that people think their god don't wants them to enjoy life.

Fasting isn't something for the weak and narrow-minded, so you wouldn't understand.

To answer Antonio's questions...

I don't feel any "different" now, it's something you get used to when you do it for so many years. When I was younger, I fasted because it was part of my religion and my parents kind of expected me to. However, as I got a little older and realized a lot of things, the concept of fasting made a lot of sense even in a non-religious sense. It teaches you self-control and restraint. It's harder at the beginning, but as time goes on, it gets easier and actually becomes ordinary. Personally, I don't find fasting physically challenging, but there are some who do. The only time I can remember it being difficult was when I would have football or soccer practice/games while fasting. A person with hardships, be it personal or illness-related doesn't need to fast; as a matter of fact, when you're ill you're not supposed to fast at all. To answer your question of why muslims fast, it is basically a way to put yourself in the position of someone who is poor and doesn't have food. You basically feel their "pain" in a lesser extent. While I fasted, several things actually came to my mind. For example, when it was time to break my fast, I thought about those people who can't afford food or not enough of it, and thought about how they not just refrain from eating during the day, but can't even eat at night (like I do) simply because they don't have the access to the food. I "could" eat whenever I want to because the food is right in front of me, but they can't because they have no food. It's really something that makes you think while you fast. Also, I do this for 30 days out of the year, they do it all year long. As part of the Islamic religion, every Muslim who is able to, must share some of his income/wealth with someone in need. It's one of the fundamentals. And, at the end of Ramadan, is one of those times when every Muslim donates money to these people in need. People send money abroad to Muslims living in poor conditions. So, basically I put myself in someone else's shoes to feel what they go through (not to the same degree), and then I do something to help someone who goes through it. I really don't see how people can make retarded, narrow-minded comments like "god doesn't want them to enjoy life", when in fact, you're doing something to help someone. Anyways, I hope I answered your questions.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 05:58:01 AM »
By the way 7even, since I'm known to teach/school you peeps in TOT, let me inform you that "impression" is the word you were looking for, not "expression". See, you always learn something new from me... sometimes you just decide to learn the hard way of arguing until you're proven wrong.  :)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 06:36:12 AM »
Lol, I know, don't know why I wrote expression. Anyway.. is fasting supposed to be fun? Is not drinking alcohol, not taking drugs and not having sex before marriage and stuff like that, supposed to be fun? I don't think so. But that's what religion wants you to do more or less. Does God hate us all, or what?
Religious people can be so contradicting sometimes...
No, it's not a sin

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 06:48:46 AM »
Lol, I know, don't know why I wrote expression. Anyway.. is fasting supposed to be fun? Is not drinking alcohol, not taking drugs and not having sex before marriage and stuff like that, supposed to be fun? I don't think so. But that's what religion wants you to do more or less. Does God hate us all, or what?

WTF? What does fun have anything to do with it? Is going to the dentist supposed to be fun?

By the way, I don't drink, smoke, or take drugs, but guess what? It's my choice. Personally, I don't feel the need to do any of those to have fun. I bone bitches though. So you can see that religion is not why I choose or don't choose to do certain things. 

Seriously, that has to be one of your dumbest posts, even in your standards. Just because something isn't fun, doesn't mean it was created to prevent people from having fun. I'm assuming school, doctors, cops, courts, etc are all in place to prevent people from having fun. Idiot. Religious people can be contradicting? Not once have I contradicted myself, yet you, a "non-religious" person, have proven yourself to lack common sense, logic, and any sort of intelligence with 1 post.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 06:55:44 AM »
Lol, I know, don't know why I wrote expression.

This is just one of the things I/you "don't know why you wrote". There's plenty more; this just happens to be one instance where it was easier for you to see that you're wrong. Other times I inform you in a similar way, but it just takes you a while to realize it. You should analyze your words more carefully, and maybe it will help you make better judgments (ex: not attempt to unsuccessfully argue me)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 07:16:10 AM »

WTF? What does fun have anything to do with it? Is going to the dentist supposed to be fun?

By the way, I don't drink, smoke, or take drugs, but guess what? It's my choice. Personally, I don't feel the need to do any of those to have fun. I bone bitches though. So you can see that religion is not why I choose or don't choose to do certain things. 

Seriously, that has to be one of your dumbest posts, even in your standards. Just because something isn't fun, doesn't mean it was created to prevent people from having fun. I'm assuming school, doctors, cops, courts, etc are all in place to prevent people from having fun. Idiot. Religious people can be contradicting? Not once have I contradicted myself, yet you, a "non-religious" person, have proven yourself to lack common sense, logic, and any sort of intelligence with 1 post.

Well then tell me what is the point in not drinking for instance. Why? Good it's your choice, lol, whatever makes you sleep at night. Yet I know Muslims who don't drink cause they want to be good muslims. They fuck though, which is contradicting as a motherfucker.
So if religion isnt the reason why you've chosen to do or not to things, how come you're fasting? You aint got no money or what? - and there we are contradicting ourselves again..

Great to act like I said it was created to prevent ppl from having fun because it isnt fun.. that's just twisting it all up in order to sound smart to the retards who won't realize it, just like pointing out typos is. You think I don't notice if someone types necaccaryly instead of necessarily? However, I won't bother making a post just to point it out and ridicule the respective person. You do though, and therefore you think you're so smart. Do you act in real life like that? Cause if you do, I have to assume you ask veterans in wheel-chairs for a race, and when they say no you feel like Maurice Green when he got the 60-metre world record...

Certain rules of religion usually seem to be there in order to prevent people from doing something. Sometimes, it's sensible, like not killing somebody or not stealing or what the hell. Other times, however, I can't see any purpose except preventing people from leading a happy life. Like telling it's bad to have sex unless its only purpose is reproduction, what the hell..
Your weak ass comparisons ... school, doctors, cops, courts ... all have their respective purposes. Like education & helping people. What the hell is the purpose of things like not ever drinking/trying alcohol, not having sex unless youre married, fasting etc if not sticking to principles your religion gave you? And why would your religion say you should do it? Why? I understand why you shouldnt kill dudes and shit, but why the fuck this?
The reason is to limit your fun. Now don't come around with stupid shit like "I can have fun without drugs" or bullshit like this. Why won't jews eat pork? Why won't muslims eat certain meat? Why would buddhists not eat any kind of animals..we all know those animals dont have the souls of former humans or shit like this,  Lol, so why? ... I could go on for years.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 07:23:09 AM by 7even the Harbinger »
No, it's not a sin

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2004, 07:19:19 AM »
Lol, I know, don't know why I wrote expression.

This is just one of the things I/you "don't know why you wrote". There's plenty more; this just happens to be one instance where it was easier for you to see that you're wrong. Other times I inform you in a similar way, but it just takes you a while to realize it. You should analyze your words more carefully, and maybe it will help you make better judgments (ex: not attempt to unsuccessfully argue me)
One funny thing is how you always have to rely on obvious typos like this to make yourself feel better.
But anyway, LoL I must have really got to you with that religion stuff. Disillusioned?  :-\

Just stay out of this thread, if you can't stand criticism on your religion, or in this case religion as such.

HAHA... now you signed off? Already giving up for the moment, and trying to work something out for later?
I'm sure so, since you're obviously not the type of poster who'd log off in such a moment for another reason, you know it, I know it, the whole board knows it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 07:34:53 AM by 7even the Harbinger »
No, it's not a sin

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 07:47:41 AM »
LMAO this is way too easy..

I don't feel any "different" now, it's something you get used to when you do it for so many years. When I was younger, I fasted because it was part of my religion and my parents kind of expected me to. [...]It's harder at the beginning, but as time goes on, it gets easier and actually becomes ordinary. Personally, I don't find fasting physically challenging, but there are some who do. The only time I can remember it being difficult was when I would have football or soccer practice/games while fasting. [...]To answer your question of why muslims fast, it is basically a way to put yourself in the position of someone who is poor and doesn't have food. You basically feel their "pain" in a lesser extent. [...] So, basically I put myself in someone else's shoes to feel what they go through (not to the same degree), and then I do something to help someone who goes through it. I really don't see how people can make retarded, narrow-minded comments like "god doesn't want them to enjoy life", when in fact, you're doing something to help someone.

LoL.. I dont even have to add anything.. why the fuck does your religion want you to FEEL PAIN for christ's sake? So a good muslim is supposed to FEEL PAIN? What more need I say? Anyways, good to know. Seriously, if you don't recognize your contradictions and your hypocrisy you can't be very smart.

Oh... and with fasting, you don't help ANYONE. Poor muslims in the middle-east aren't helped the slightest little bit with dudes like you fasting. What a lame excuse.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 07:49:50 AM by 7even the Harbinger »
No, it's not a sin

acbaylove

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2004, 08:02:16 AM »

Fasting isn't something for the weak and narrow-minded, so you wouldn't understand.

To answer Antonio's questions...

I don't feel any "different" now, it's something you get used to when you do it for so many years. When I was younger, I fasted because it was part of my religion and my parents kind of expected me to. However, as I got a little older and realized a lot of things, the concept of fasting made a lot of sense even in a non-religious sense. It teaches you self-control and restraint. It's harder at the beginning, but as time goes on, it gets easier and actually becomes ordinary. Personally, I don't find fasting physically challenging, but there are some who do. The only time I can remember it being difficult was when I would have football or soccer practice/games while fasting. A person with hardships, be it personal or illness-related doesn't need to fast; as a matter of fact, when you're ill you're not supposed to fast at all. To answer your question of why muslims fast, it is basically a way to put yourself in the position of someone who is poor and doesn't have food. You basically feel their "pain" in a lesser extent. While I fasted, several things actually came to my mind. For example, when it was time to break my fast, I thought about those people who can't afford food or not enough of it, and thought about how they not just refrain from eating during the day, but can't even eat at night (like I do) simply because they don't have the access to the food. I "could" eat whenever I want to because the food is right in front of me, but they can't because they have no food. It's really something that makes you think while you fast. Also, I do this for 30 days out of the year, they do it all year long. As part of the Islamic religion, every Muslim who is able to, must share some of his income/wealth with someone in need. It's one of the fundamentals. And, at the end of Ramadan, is one of those times when every Muslim donates money to these people in need. People send money abroad to Muslims living in poor conditions. So, basically I put myself in someone else's shoes to feel what they go through (not to the same degree), and then I do something to help someone who goes through it. I really don't see how people can make retarded, narrow-minded comments like "god doesn't want them to enjoy life", when in fact, you're doing something to help someone. Anyways, I hope I answered your questions.

Thank you.