Author Topic: Some thoughts on fasting  (Read 726 times)

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Some thoughts on fasting
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2004, 10:42:53 AM »
Sweet? Not really. It's like this... you know how teachers in school have to be extra patient with their handicapped/special ed students? Well that's how I feel with you... I need to be patient, explain everything slowly and clearly, and as we can see.... it worked...  :)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2004, 10:45:49 AM »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »
I am not Muslim, but I used to fast every weekend or so.  The concept of fasting has been around for ages, and not limited to religion alone.  But of course it does have many spiritual aspects to it that may benefit anyone from any faith.  I realize that Muslims fast for a number of reasons, as Jamal pointed out.  Everything from attaining self control, being more appreciative of life and it's gifts, reminding us of God, achieving a heightened sense of consciousness and understanding pain, addiction, pleasure and empathy.  Also, it isn't limited to 'not eating' alone, I know that Muslims must also refrain from haram(sin) during the time.  Fasting has existed in Indian culture as well, popularized since the birth of Hinduism and Buddhism.  It was a practice popular amongst the wise and pious.  My personal experience has been great though.  Since I'm not a Muslim, I never had to fast for religious or cultural reasons, but I found it myself.  No one in my family fasted, so it wasn't somehow imposed or influenced upon me.  It was something I discovered during religious and philosophical study.  Again, it isn't just 'not eating', there are a lot of other aspects one must understand about this practice.  Fasting does require a focused mind and strong will power though, so there are many who struggle with it.  But from personal experience, I can say that everything positive said about it is true.

-b[X]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 04:11:14 PM by bLaDe HeLi[X] »
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Trauma-san

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2004, 10:31:46 PM »
There are many parts of our existance, we have a physical existance, an emotional existence, a mental existence, an intellectual existence, and a spiritual existence (which more and more people deny).  When you walk around the world concerned with your physical existence, you sometimes neglect the other parts of your body, and don't focus any energy on them.  By fasting, you ignore the physical existence, even to the point of not eating.  If your mental, spirtual, and intellectual existence *knows you're not going to eat, it ignores your physical existence, and opens your mind to see your other existences.

LOL  what a load of shit, but it's the truth.   So fasting serves a purpose, yeah. 

Another theory I wanted to throw at cha is that people that abstain from something are actually more free to choose, then people who have chosen to do something.

If you've got a guy who's @ a party drinking, he's chosen to drink.  Fine.

If you have a guy at a party, who hasn't chosen to drink... then he still has the ability to choose, to drink, or not to drink.  The other guy has already limited himself by drinking; he can no longer choose not to drink.

Just a thought!