Author Topic: Does anyone care what others religions are?  (Read 146 times)

Trauma-san

Does anyone care what others religions are?
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:00:32 PM »
I consider myself a Christian, and I can honestly say I don't really care what other people's religion is, especially if they don't try to put mine down.  For instance, I work with people who are hindu and have shrines and things in the back of their store, I think it's kind of cool to see since I don't know much about it.  I work with muslims, jews, etc.  The only people I ever have a problem with, are those who find out I'm religious, and then start telling me how they don't believe in God and they think it's manmade and start telling me how bigoted Christians are.

So I guess what I'm saying is, Athiests always give me shit about my religion....... but no other religious people do.  Why is that? 

Anybody have anything to add?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Does anyone care what others religions are?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 04:03:11 PM »
Exactly, its always the atheists who try and push their beliefs. While I personally believe in Islam, I believe that I can take something useful out of every religion so I don't belittle them.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 04:06:11 PM »
Depends on the people I guess. Im sure there are also Atheists who wont bitch when they find out you're religious and Im also sure there are people who practice other religions that will tell you how they are right and you're wrong or something.
I personally dont care if someone is Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim or Scientologist as long as he doesnt try to tell me how his believe is true and how there must be a creator and shit like that.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 04:08:31 PM »
I don't really mind.  I used to be strong christian, but I'm nothing now.  However, I can see value in all religions.

My biggest issue with the relgious is their attempt to influence their values on the rest of us.  I remember being younger and being told it was my job to teach 'sinners' about christ and the devil. 

Of all western religions I respect Judiasm the most mainly because they are the only western religion that doesn't actively recruit.  Christianity does.  Islam does.  The Jews just do they thing and leave the rest of us alone for the most part.   

I liked Jesus's teaching and the main message of christianity but the bible seems to be abused and instead of being a religion of love is a religion of intolerance.  I've had more than one encounter with 'holier than thou' evangicals that really tends to turn me off from christianity.   

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 04:12:17 PM »
I'm not religious, and it doesn't make a difference to me if someone else is or not.  I can see how religion can be a positive thing in ones life.  I just don't feel a need for it in my life.  I do like learning about others religions tho, I think Buddhism is very interesting.

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 04:40:23 PM »
I enjoy talking to people of different religions and cultures, but it doesn't affect my view of them in any negative manner.  I like to learn and appreciate the diversity and positivity of different religions but I don't ever try converting anyone, or imposing my own beleifs upon anybody.  I do have a few good friends who happen to be atheists and agnostics but it never comes in the way of our friendship.  I grew up around people of different faiths and backgrounds and learned to appreciate them.  I do see what you mean about certain atheists though, although I have met some great ones, I've also encountered atheists who seem to 'look down' upon religious people, including myself and always seem to be trying to squeeze in 'there-is-no-God' in conversations.  I've also met very bigoted religious people though, and they're not always of different religions.  lol, this thread reminds me of our old conversations on AIM, Trauma, we used to discuss each other's faiths and religion as whole, and we would always be very appreciative and respectful. 
Oh and i'm a Sikh, my religion has a lot of empahsis on equality and diversity, so in a sense, being appreciative of other religions and respecting them equally is a part of my faith. 

-b[X] 
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

pappy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 04:48:54 PM »
i personally can careless what religion someone is

mauzip

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 10:43:25 PM »
I only start to bitch about it if I fee like that person tries to convert me.