Author Topic: Democrats need to regroup...  (Read 199 times)

tommyilromano

Democrats need to regroup...
« on: November 03, 2004, 11:45:08 AM »
Both parties have to appeal to the American Electorate. A party of the far left simply doesn't work in the U.S. (look how well Nadar is polling). If the Democrats want to start winning some elections, they need to drag the party's center of gravity over to the center of gravity of the American people.

The American Electorate, despite the way many would like it to be, is a deeply culturally conservative set of people and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

I think it's entirely possible that the Democrats will nominate Hillary in 08, which I think would be the wrong thing to do and will continue their slide. All of the "likely" Republican candidates being talked about to run are fairly moderate and so the Democrats would be defending their base with a woman who, while qualified, isn't overly popular in middle America.

The Dems need to rethink "who are we?".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:50:14 AM by tommyilromano »

tommyilromano

Re: Democrats need to regroup...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 11:47:54 AM »
BTW-Rudolph Giuliani. He runs in 08, he gets 60% of the vote.

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 12:01:07 PM »
I don't think the democrats need to change their agenda, just the way the deliver it to the people.

I think they need better frontmen.

Kerry was just a horrible candidate. I really wish they would have gone with Edwards or somebody more "fresh"

It seems like they need to clean house. Get rid of Shrum, get rid of that "liberal elite" attitude and start talking WITH Americans instad of talking TO them. I think that democrats have some valid points to make, but they really don't understand Joe Average. Seems to me like the Democrats have have in their mind, what the American public wants, but it doesn't match up to what the public wants in reality.

They need to start rallying around fresh faces. Barack Obama seems like a perfect choice, John Edwards some of the other "new" democrats seem perfect for this as well.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 12:25:08 PM »
Both parties have to appeal to the American Electorate. A party of the far left simply doesn't work in the U.S. (look how well Nadar is polling). If the Democrats want to start winning some elections, they need to drag the party's center of gravity over to the center of gravity of the American people.

kerry wasnt even close to the far left.  Both candidates were on the same page in the war against terror and iraq.  main difference has been moral issues and the economy.

This is a perfect time for a strong thirdy party to rise so that the democrats can reach for the third party

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 12:31:17 PM »
It seems like they need to clean house. Get rid of Shrum, get rid of that "liberal elite" attitude and start talking WITH Americans instad of talking TO them. I think that democrats have some valid points to make, but they really don't understand Joe Average. Seems to me like the Democrats have have in their mind, what the American public wants, but it doesn't match up to what the public wants in reality.

I consider the democrat agenda considerably better than the republican one, but yeah, that is the impression i got from these elections, too. If you look at it, it's the coastal states and the north east plus parts of the northern midwest that Kerry got all his electoral votes from. The democrats will, even in the future most likely be able to win states like Cali, New York or DC (90% Kerry, 9% Bush), but what they have a serious problem with is getting support in more rural areas...the whole south, Corn/Bible Belt and absolutely everything between the west coast states and Michigan went to Bush. Average Joe voted for Bush, and average Joe's vote counts just as much as the progressive NY liberal's. Progressive NY liberals won't start voting Republican, even if the Democrats start focussing on getting Average Joe to vote for them, unless they overdo it. What the democrats need to do is getting the 'average' americans on their side and finding the right balance, sticking to their principles and at the same time understanding America, so to speak

Fathom

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 06:40:17 PM »
The Dems today need to take a piece of knowledge from the Dems of our yester years
ie (FDR, Truman, Kennedy)

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 07:20:42 PM »
This is a perfect time for a strong thirdy party to rise so that the democrats can reach for the third party

I feel ya man. There realy needs to be more than 2 choices, especially when the two choices are so similar.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE