Author Topic: Exit polls : 88% black voters voted Kerry  (Read 169 times)

Immortal

Exit polls : 88% black voters voted Kerry
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:09:29 PM »
ELECTION 2004: America votes: EXIT POLLS: Morality, war, money split voters
Tom Baxter - Staff
Wednesday, November 3, 2004

The voters who delivered Georgia to George W. Bush were inspired most by his religious faith and the conviction that he is a strong leader.

For John Kerry's voters, it was the belief he'll bring about needed change and his intelligence that mattered most.

These and other results of exit polling Tuesday paint a picture of an electorate sharply divided over moral issues, confidence in the way the war in Iraq is going, and how they are faring in the current economy.

For Loisrae Mitchell of Marietta, an accounting manager, the choice boiled down to character --- "and anybody raised by Barbara Bush has got to have a good character."

"Bush has got the right values. Everybody gets bad information from time to time, but I truly believe he's trying to do the right thing," she said.

But Milton Reed, an Atlanta account manager who voted for Kerry, said Bush was guilty of "lying to the American people."

"He has not addressed the millions of individuals who don't have health insurance, and so many other things. I have a lot of issues with him," Reed said.

A solid majority of those who said they were regular churchgoers voted for Bush, as was the case in the last presidential election.

Two-thirds of those who supported the statewide amendment banning gay marriage voted for Bush, while the same percentage who opposed the amendment voted for Kerry.

The sharp polarization between the two sides also was illustrated in voters' views about terrorism, according to polls conducted with voters leaving polling places Tuesday. Only 11 percent of voters said they would trust either Kerry or Bush to handle terrorism. The rest of the electorate went solidly for the candidate they trusted more.

The distinction between the war on terrorism and the war in Iraq also was reflected in the voters' preferences; those who said terrorism was the biggest issue in the election overwhelmingly voted for Bush, while three-fourths of those who named the war in Iraq as most important voted for Kerry.

As in most elections, how voters view their own finances had a lot to do with whether they voted for the incumbent. Among those who said they were better off than they were four years ago, 83 percent voted for Bush. Among those who said they were worse off, 78 percent voted for Kerry.

One of the most striking differences had to do with voters' confidence in whether their vote would be counted accurately: 72 percent of those very confident voted for Bush; 27 percent for Kerry.

There was also a sharp difference in voting motivation. Voters were asked whether their vote was primarily for their candidate or against his opponent. Among those feeling positive, 65 percent voted for Bush. Among those casting a vote primarily in opposition, 69 percent voted for Kerry.

Votes in the U.S. Senate race and on the marriage amendment broke down along patterns similar to the presidential results, with conservatives who supported Bush also supporting Republican Johnny Isakson and the marriage amendment. But Isakson did better among Democrats, capturing 14 percent of their vote, while Denise Majette won only 5 percent of Republicans.

In the presidential race, Bush owed his Georgia victory to that large group of voters who have had their minds made up for some time. Among those whose decision has been made for over a month, Bush won a clear 60-40 victory.

It was a different story among those who decided late. Kerry won the votes of 56 percent of Georgia voters who made their decision in the past month, and 55 percent of those who decided on Election Day.

EXIT POLL
PRESIDENT
Whom did you vote for?
Black
Bush: 12%
Kerry: 88%

White
Bush: 74%
Kerry: 25%

Was your vote for president mainly:
For a candidate:
Bush: 65%
Kerry: 35%

Against his opponent:
Bush: 31%
Kerry: 69%

To which age group do you belong?
18-29
Bush: 49%
Kerry: 50%

30-44
Bush: 54%
Kerry: 45%

45-59
Bush: 60%
Kerry: 40%

60 plus
Bush: 66%
Kerry: 34%

Which one candidate quality mattered most in deciding how you voted for president?
He will bring about needed change
Bush: 5%
Kerry: 94%

He is intelligent
Bush: 11%
Kerry: 89%

He has strong religious faith
Bush: 97%
Kerry: 3%

He is a strong leader
Bush: 91%
Kerry: 9%

Which one issue mattered most in deciding how you voted for president?
Iraq
Bush: 24%
Kerry: 75%

Terrorism
Bush: 88%
Kerry: 11%

Economy/jobs
Bush: 17%
Kerry: 83%

Moral values
Bush: 86%
Kerry: 14%

Health care
Bush: 19%
Kerry: 81%

When did you finally decide whom to vote for in the presidential election?
During the past month
Bush: 42%
Kerry: 56%

Before that
Bush: 60%
Kerry: 40%

SENATE
Whom did you vote for?
Black
Majette: 88%
Isakson: 11%

White
Majette: 24%
Isakson: 74%

Compared to four years ago, is your family's financial situation:
Majette: 14%
Isakson: 84%

Worse today
Majette: 74%
Isakson: 25%

About the same
Majette: 49%
Isakson: 50%

AMENDMENT 1
How did you vote on Amendment 1?
Black
Yes: 76%
No: 24%

White
Yes: 70%
No: 30%

On most political matters, do you consider yourself:
Liberal
Yes: 39%
No: 61%

Moderate
Yes: 65%
No: 35%

Conservative
Yes: 90%
No: 10%

Note: There were 1,536 interviews of voters leaving representative precincts all over the state. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
Sources: The National Election Pool Survey conducted by Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The National Election Pool is a cooperative arrangement among ABC News, Associated Press, CBS News, Cable News Network, Fox News and NBC News
/ KATIE RIDLEY / Staff

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 12:34:57 AM by Immortal »
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Exit polls : 88% Kerry voters were black
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 01:10:56 PM »
Edit the title of your thread so it makes sense.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 05:11:46 PM »
the poll proves that Bush voters are old, paranoid, churchgoing, white hicks who care more about moral (like abortion) than unnecessarily lost lives in illegal wars.

I knew that those are the Bush voters before... no suprise here.. but I havent thought that we have so god damn many paranoid, churchgoing, white hicks who care more about moral (like abortion) than unnecessarily lost lives in illegal wars.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 05:15:32 PM by 7even the Harbinger »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 05:32:56 PM »
just goes to show u americans voted your goverment to be more of a nany state and have more of a hand in telling you what you can and can't do. if abortiion is against your religion don't have one, if on the other hand you feel its right for you, feel free if you ask me whilst its inside of you and a part of you only you should have the right to say what you can and can't do to your body. on the issue of gay marrage i agree it should be banned as its a unity between a man and a women, if gay couples want to show their commitment they should come up with their own system which should have the same recognised rights as married couples do in the eyes of the law as i don't believe they should be penalised even though i don't believe they should be married.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 05:39:03 PM »
just another thaught why is it ok to ban abortion for relious reasons but its ok to support the death penality i thaught only god can judge us, who are we to say who lives and dies especially when goverments get it wrong, for example before we abolished the death penaulty (because we are one of the civilised nations of europe) some of the last ones to be put to death have since been found innocent there is no turning back from that and what good is a government apoligy 50 years after your dead hardly gonna start your blood pumping round your body again.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 06:34:46 PM »
88% of Kerry voters weren't black.  88% of Black Voters voted Kerry. 

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 10:04:41 PM »
yup this board is full of morons, my bad

hahaha
I'm the "moron"?  I would think after reading my post you would read the titile of the thread again to see if it was right which you probably did and you still didn't get it. 
Refer to the post above this one.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 12:19:30 PM »
if abortiion is against your religion don't have one, if on the other hand you feel its right for you, feel free if you ask me whilst its inside of you and a part of you only you should have the right to say what you can and can't do to your body.

For real man, that's real shit. Even the Bible says that God gave us free will to do what we want and to choose whether you want to follow Him or not. It's not the government's responsibility to keep every one of its citizens from burning in the eternal flame of hell, but people can be so damn ignorant that it's unbelievable.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
Re: Exit polls : 88% black voters voted Kerry
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 02:14:11 PM »
7even my man, I agree with you on these sort of points so often it's shocking. Must be western European mentality.

Anyways, this mostly proves that the voters are more concerned with wether their neighbours can have an abortion or their gay colleagues can marry then about the real deals in the world, such as unneccesary war and the poor being helped out on vital points such as health care. Not even the NIMBY-syndrom but avoiding petty 'scandals' in their direct surrounding.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..