Author Topic: Dr. Dre Hit With $500 Million Lawsuit  (Read 852 times)

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
Dr. Dre Hit With $500 Million Lawsuit
« on: September 17, 2002, 11:49:39 AM »
UPDATE:

U.S. attorney Dedra S. Davis, on behalf of India-based entertainment company Saregama India Limited, has slapped Dr. Dre, Interscope Records and Universal Music Group with a copyright-infringement lawsuit for the alleged unlawful use of a Hindi song sampled on Truth Hurts' hit single "Addictive." The lawsuit seeks all profits from the song and no less than $500 million in punitive damages, as well as the confiscation of all remaining copies of the tune

Calcutta, India/Houston, TX, July 10, 2002 … Turns out the singer who bills herself as Truth Hurts may soon be hurt by the truth! Her song "Addicted," which has been steadily climbing U.S. urban charts, has samples from an Indian movie soundtrack owned by Saregama India Limited, an RPG company. In addition to the music being sampled without permission, the original singer was also unlawfully used on the track.

Entertainment Attorney Dedra Davis (www.musiclw.com), a United States based attorney, has been hired by the Calcutta, India based music and film conglomerate, Saregama India Limited, to handle the matter. The Hindi track is entitled "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai." DJ Quick is the producer of the "Addictive" track, which appears on the Truth Hurts CD. The CD is executive produced by Dr. Dre.

The idea of including the track was that of producer DJ Quik, who underlaid the Hindi track, "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai," and later vocals were added with a little rap from artist Rakim. According to Attorney Davis, Dr. Dre's legal counsel has been contacted about the situation. The counsel's response was that they didn’t know how to find the owner of the track. Attorney Davis stated that she intends to vigorously exercise all of her client's rights, and ensure her clients the maximum recovery for the violation of their rights.

The name of the movie is "Jyoti" (Pramod Films), and the name of the artist singing the song that was sampled, "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai," from the movie soundtrack is Lata Mangeshkar. Lata Mangeshkar is very famous singer in India. According to Attorney Davis, the owner of the song had it commissioned for use in films. The owner on the original contract is the Gramophone Company Of India Limited, which has since changed its name to Saregama India Limited, but it owns the rights just the same. The original contract and paperwork commissioning songs for film was executed on April 12, 1981, in Calcutta India. The CD with the track ("Thoda Resham Lagta Hai)" has three movie soundtracks on it, including "Jyoti." The CD has never been released in the United States.

According to a German newspaper, an audio analyst, Anand Mehra, confirmed the sample. "They have slightly increased the speed of the song, so Lata sounds a bit different in the non-stop loop," he told Thugg Niggaz.

http://www.musiclw.com/events.html

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Dr. Dre Hit With $500 Million Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2002, 11:54:05 AM »
I heard the news before. I didn't know it was that big, damn. I don't even think they made $500 million off that song.  :o
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 11:54:33 AM »
Calcutta, India/Houston, TX, July 10, 2002 … Turns out the singer who bills herself as Truth Hurts may soon be hurt by the truth! Her song "Addicted," which has been steadily climbing U.S. urban charts, has samples from an Indian movie soundtrack owned by Saregama India Limited, an RPG company. In addition to the music being sampled without permission, the original singer was also unlawfully used on the track.

Entertainment Attorney Dedra Davis (www.musiclw.com), a United States based attorney, has been hired by the Calcutta, India based music and film conglomerate, Saregama India Limited, to handle the matter. The Hindi track is entitled "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai." DJ Quick is the producer of the "Addictive" track, which appears on the Truth Hurts CD. The CD is executive produced by Dr. Dre.

The idea of including the track was that of producer DJ Quik, who underlaid the Hindi track, "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai," and later vocals were added with a little rap from artist Rakim. According to Attorney Davis, Dr. Dre's legal counsel has been contacted about the situation. The counsel's response was that they didn’t know how to find the owner of the track. Attorney Davis stated that she intends to vigorously exercise all of her client's rights, and ensure her clients the maximum recovery for the violation of their rights.

The name of the movie is "Jyoti" (Pramod Films), and the name of the artist singing the song that was sampled, "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai," from the movie soundtrack is Lata Mangeshkar. Lata Mangeshkar is very famous singer in India. According to Attorney Davis, the owner of the song had it commissioned for use in films. The owner on the original contract is the Gramophone Company Of India Limited, which has since changed its name to Saregama India Limited, but it owns the rights just the same. The original contract and paperwork commissioning songs for film was executed on April 12, 1981, in Calcutta India. The CD with the track ("Thoda Resham Lagta Hai)" has three movie soundtracks on it, including "Jyoti." The CD has never been released in the United States.

According to a German newspaper, an audio analyst, Anand Mehra, confirmed the sample. "They have slightly increased the speed of the song, so Lata sounds a bit different in the non-stop loop," he told Thugg Niggaz.

http://www.musiclw.com/events.html

Probably one of the worst press releases I have ever seen... She needs to work on her shit.

She spells it "Quick" first, then "Quik" later. Also she calls the track "Addicted" and then "Addictive" I think that her site says it all: "Let THIS music lawyer handle YOUR music law issues !!!" She's out for the $$$$$. PLus look at the bottom of the page "Not certified by the Texas Board Of Legal Specialization"

It's gonna be intresting to see what happens!

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 12:16:51 PM »
I heard the news before. I didn't know it was that big, damn. I don't even think they made $500 million off that song.  :o

nigga, dre hasnt got $500 million after all the shit his done so u really think the track made that much? they jus being stupid tryna get the fool to pay $500 million, thats jus stupid money

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 12:32:16 PM »
DAMN!....i read those suckaz might sue dre, but I thought it was sorted out.  DAMN $500 million shizzttt....

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2002, 01:13:34 PM »
Imagine...if the lawsuit went foward and Dre was forced to close up shop at "Aftermath"

That would send the whole industry in an uproar....and the rumor mill to rage up a bunch of crazy ish..
first off would be....How long before Dr Dre is back at............."Tha Row"  :)

Yo This whole thing will just blow over, whatever happend to that lawsuit over that Eminem sample not to long ago?
anyone know?

Holla back
Hatesrats 2oo2

Zero4eva

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2002, 01:13:50 PM »
absolutely hilarious. these idiots want some promo.....

P.S. 500 Million? lol

verbalassaulta

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2002, 02:40:10 PM »
LMAO....they'll get a million or two...but 500...LMAO

serv-on

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2002, 03:03:58 PM »
they probably wont get shit. They should be glad dre and quik made it a good song.

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2002, 03:05:26 PM »
dre will get off becuz he is awesome

Murrow

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2002, 03:15:36 PM »
One of Quik's biggest mainsteam success's and he gets sued for it...not even him; Dre does.  So this isn't really Dre's fault, Quik was the one who produced the track.

JAE

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2002, 05:50:55 PM »
One of Quik's biggest mainsteam success's and he gets sued for it...not even him; Dre does.  So this isn't really Dre's fault, Quik was the one who produced the track.

What the hell? Your sayin its quiks fault cause he made the song? Dre approved it. If its quiks fault then dre should of put him in check and not realesed the song. It was both of their faults for not gettin the permission. I can say they are both dumbasses for this. Did they think no one woudl notice?

Hittman2001

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2002, 05:58:02 PM »
Where did you get the $500 million figure from?  it wasn't on the lawyer's website

Jome

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2002, 06:01:01 PM »
As far as I know, it's the producer's responsibility to clear the samples, not the exec. producer, correct me if I'm wrong..
They will never get more than 2P is they ever win that lawsuit.

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2002, 06:07:39 PM »
Dre sued for 500 mill.??........lol....yea right.....I doubt if they get anything......