Author Topic: DJ Quik v. Dr. Dre  (Read 1539 times)

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: DJ Quik v. Dr. Dre
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2005, 10:26:25 AM »
Dre for me.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2005, 10:36:47 AM »
This debate will probably go on forever. I'll just rate it how I see it....

Reaons for Quik over Dre:
-Much more musically inclined..meaning he uses a lot more musical theory in his music than Dre usually does, and can make music to appeal to people who don't even like rap
-Rarely samples or interpolates songs like Dre...and Dre will interpolate songs that nobody really knows about and get credit for bein a genius for creatin it (i.e. Xxplosive, Next Episode)
-Much less speculation than Dre as far as havin ghost producers...everybody knows they both use musicians, which is what a producer does. But there has been speculation about Dre not even comin up with the melodies or anything at all other than mixin, then gettin his name on it
-Doesn't take nearly as long to come out with albums, and since 95-96, has produced more songs than Dre overall that have been at a very similar level of quality
-Style is much harder to imitate than Dre's, and uses many elements that no regular producer could ever use
-Better as a rapper and has more personality in his music, as far as throwin in little samples and makin the beat play off of the artist

Reasons for Dre over Quik:
-Has had a much bigger impact in Hip Hop and in mainstream music than Quik, even though Quik never got his props for it
-Has been producin classic material for nearly 20 years, and has been producin period for longer than that
-Has many more commercially recognized hits, and has a higher demand
-Changes the game damn near every time he changes his style, and ends up havin hundreds of copycats
-Is known to bring out the best in almost every artist he works with
-Music always appeals to everyone outside the West
-Rarely dissapoints when he puts his all into a project

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:08 AM »
one thing that everyone can agree on here is that for production and in general rap music, Dr. Dre and DJ Quik are Compton's Finest, ..the West Coast's Finest...Hip Hop's Finest
dont take that I have a bias on dre because of my username lol..its just my s/n for AOL, I'm a really big quik fan, so dont get me wrong

This is actually a hard decision,
DJ Quik and Dr. Dre to me are there...right next to each other so you cannot just state a name without an explanation.
DJ Quik, just be listening to the beat seems to be more instrumental or musical, maybe one word to describe his beats compared to dre is that they have more "funk" and "groove" to them...his shit is simply just all out "fly"
The way Quik makes beats, adds funkadelic sounds, adds flavor to a song is incredible.
From production such as "quik is the name"....to mid 90s production such as the classic "lets make a V" by King T and "lets get down" by Toni Toni Toni
and of course all of his albums, there is always something to listen to Quik about, he never gets played out, you can bump his shit all day
with Quik's recent release Trauma...wow...damn good album...best album of 2005 in my opinion...Then again I wasn't that surprised, I knew his album was going to be good and bring heat, but what actually surprised me is that it surpassed my expectations, that albums fuckin' dope...you all can agree with that
his lyrics...damn hes creative as fuck..comes with fresh, funky shit, that sometimes makes you want to rewind and listen to it again,
Quik is definitiley and incredible artist/producer/composer/musician...a certified legend to me..its always been a shame that hes been slept on, if anyone deserves to get all these record sales that garbage artists are making, it should go to Quik...it bothers me that people don't open their eyes or their eyes to see how talented this man is, what he can do, I wish more people knew who he was and that he can be recognized as one of the elite in rap, even though he is, he deserves even more recognition

now on to Dr. Dre...
Another native of Compton and Producer
Dre of course is the man who ran production with Yella in the NWA days, made those funky ass crazy beats in the late 80's, simply listen to the Eazy-E  album "Eazy Duz It"
To many, Dr. Dre is considered to be a perfectionist in his work, in his art and what he does for music.  One can easily tell (well at least I can) when a Dre beat is present.  It has that complete and accomplished sound, it is very distinct as well.  Dre is considered to have more hard hittin or "gangsta" beats, not as much ""flyness" as Quik.
Dr. Dre though, has made one of the most influential and to me the best albums in Rap.
"The Chronic" is the album that set a standard, he innovated and made the G-Funk sound and look it brought us...From Warren G to the Old School Snoop Dogg..The death row era..to me was the most talented record label of its time....
"Doggystyle" By Snoop Dogg was another legendary and classic album.  He took the 70s sounds of the p-funk era and innovated it with rap music to create outstanding music.
Only having two albums, his last 2001 was another great album...was it as good as the chronic? ...no....but still to this day is considered to be a must-have cd...the production and its perfection is unique on that album....
Dre's lyrics...well he doesn't write them..he does have some of the best writers in the industry writing his stuff for him..if you come to think about...hes never really come wack on a track before...compared to Quik though, Quik takes that trait hands down because of his creativity and originality of not only writing his own lyrics, but making them unique and distinguishable,
Dre's Next album...Detox...one of the most expected albums in hip-hop..supposed to come out summer 2006..who knows?
Dr. Dre, (take the sales and popularity out of his effectiveness)
Dre...has made one of the biggest impacts in rap history....
to me Detox will surpass all these albums before it recently...I even expect it to surpass trauma...
Both artists have classics under their belts, but the perfection and quality of albums such as "the Chronic" and "Doggystyle" - these are albums that are classics and legendary and will stand in time as the best rap albums...One thing Quik has never done is made a classic to that level, dont get me wrong...DJ Quik definitley has classics under his belt but not to that Plateau
The perfectionist beats of Dr. Dre and his tremendous impact on how we listen to rap today makes him the top producer in the game.
Thats why to me.. I prefer Dr. Dre....but hands down? nope, only by a close margin, when compared to DJ Quik

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2005, 11:28:21 AM »
Dre>>>Quik

Quik has just not dropped album/beats better then those heard on Chronic/2001/Doggystyle
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »
Dr. Dre for the same reasons as SreSnoop00 gave at the end of his little speech.

stinga4lyfe

• 'G'
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »
Why are we continuing to make the same thread??

I'm sorry, Dre shouldn't be in the same category as any of these producers (East or Westcoast)!  Quik is my number one producer w/o Dre in the line up..  (PERIOD)!  Again, nobody should persuade you to like Dre more, if you prefer Quik, then more power to you nephew...

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2005, 04:35:37 PM »

-Much more musically inclined..meaning he uses a lot more musical theory in his music than Dre usually does, and can make music to appeal to people who don't even like rap
-Rarely samples or interpolates songs like Dre...and Dre will interpolate songs that nobody really knows about and get credit for bein a genius for creatin it (i.e. Xxplosive, Next Episode)
-Much less speculation than Dre as far as havin ghost producers...everybody knows they both use musicians, which is what a producer does. But there has been speculation about Dre not even comin up with the melodies or anything at all other than mixin, then gettin his name on it
-Doesn't take nearly as long to come out with albums, and since 95-96, has produced more songs than Dre overall that have been at a very similar level of quality
-Style is much harder to imitate than Dre's, and uses many elements that no regular producer could ever use
-Better as a rapper and has more personality in his music, as far as throwin in little samples and makin the beat play off of the artist

-Has had a much bigger impact in Hip Hop and in mainstream music than Quik, even though Quik never got his props for it
-Has been producin classic material for nearly 20 years, and has been producin period for longer than that
-Changes the game damn near every time he changes his style, and ends up havin hundreds of copycats

DAMN! I don't think anyone could have said it any better. Right on point. I always enjoyed reading your posts. Anyway kind of funny how I used to the biggest dre fan. I would not mess with anyone music unless the doc was involved. Now quik is my number one producer, the doc is still number 2. Propz.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2005, 06:04:11 PM »

DAMN! I don't think anyone could have said it any better. Right on point. I always enjoyed reading your posts
8)

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2005, 06:13:37 PM »
DJ QUIK
THEY WAT HE USED THAT BROTHERS JOHNSON "STRAWBERRY LETTER 23" SAMPLE TO MAKE "SAFE & SOUND" IS PURE GENIOUS.
My Future Wife:

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »
DJ QUIK
THEY WAT HE USED THAT BROTHERS JOHNSON "STRAWBERRY LETTER 23" SAMPLE TO MAKE "SAFE & SOUND" IS PURE GENIOUS.

yeah that shit is amazing

southcentralLA

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2005, 11:14:48 PM »
Sorry to say it but I have to fuck with my Nigga Dj Quik the most talented mutha fucka to ever do it as far as Rap is concerned, no one ever says Quik didn't do a beat and took credit for that shit, mean while Dre is known for this shit that alone can put Quik over Dre, also Quik is a master mind with them fuckin instruments dude is like the hip hop version of fuckin Prince, Whoever said his shit was boring and simple dude u must be fuckin smoking that Pookie from New Jack City dope, Quik has so many different ways to come with a idea for a beat none of his shit sounds the same he always changes shit and I hate the fact that the industry won't give my nigga his due Props this nigga should be getting life time achievement awards just like Dre..........

J Bananas

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2005, 11:56:33 PM »
C'mon man why u even gotta be askin us this question. I like em both. but rythym-al-ism overshadows any dre album easily production wise.

ThatSICCNESS

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2005, 11:31:35 PM »
Dr. Dre All Day

WestCoasta

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2005, 11:33:20 PM »
rythym-al-ism overshadows any dre album easily production wise.

Okka

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2005, 11:43:15 PM »
Dr. Dre, the best producer in the world...

"Still D.R.E" -> Anything Quik Has Done