Author Topic: Entertainment Weekly: Eric B & Rakim's "Paid In Full" is greatest hip-hop album  (Read 500 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If Ready to Die is in the top 3 then MMLP should be in the top 25. Impact means as much as quality.

impact = sales ??

And sales mean something, you think MJ's Thriller would make any lists if it only went 3 platinum? Also, the MMLP created a lot of contraversy and brought a lot of good attention to Rap. Well, better attention than MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice brought to it. MMLP was an MC at his finest, he played around with a lot of flows, and created a spectacilar peice of conceptual poetry with Stan. I don't know what makes anything by Biggie better than this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Chris Wallace was the most overrated MC in rap. He was good, even great, but he's way over praised. He very rarely expiremented, his flow and rhymes overshdowed his lyrical content. The guy basically retold gangster movies on wax. Where was the originality. I'm not saying Em is number one, or even close, but just because of Stan I place him above Biggie as far as being an artist goes.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Paid in Full for greatest album is cool with me anyday

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
I can see Paid In Full on top of any list. Arguing the greatest rap album of all time is a very hard thing to do, but Paid In Full is top 5 in any list. So being rank number one is no surprise.

De La Soul and Ready to Die, top three though... hum? I'd put Illmatic up there, along with Makaveli, The Diary and The Chronic. Too many great albums to choice from, including Criminal Minded and Low End Theory. Lets not forget AmeriKKKa'z Most Wanted, the only westcoast album to get a 5 mic review. It's a hard list to complete for sure.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Hieroglyphics - 3rd Eye Vision, well.. thats my favourite haha.

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
I can see Paid In Full on top of any list. Arguing the greatest rap album of all time is a very hard thing to do, but Paid In Full is top 5 in any list. So being rank number one is no surprise.

De La Soul and Ready to Die, top three though... hum? I'd put Illmatic up there, along with Makaveli, The Diary and The Chronic. Too many great albums to choice from, including Criminal Minded and Low End Theory. Lets not forget AmeriKKKa'z Most Wanted, the only westcoast album to get a 5 mic review. It's a hard list to complete for sure.

Wha???????

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
^^^ The only westcoast album that received a 5 mic review in The Source.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

Leggy Hendrix

didnt 2001 get a 5 mic review...ok, so that wasnt the original review but they gave it an honourary 5 mics in one of their special issues...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

On The Edge of Insanity

I'n not gonna complain with this choice, it would definitely be up there in any competition for the best hiphop album ever. I was expecting them to put some Eminem shit at number 1 or something, so the top five was a pleasant suprise for me.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If Ready to Die is in the top 3 then MMLP should be in the top 25. Impact means as much as quality.

impact = sales ??

And sales mean something, you think MJ's Thriller would make any lists if it only went 3 platinum? Also, the MMLP created a lot of contraversy and brought a lot of good attention to Rap. Well, better attention than MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice brought to it. MMLP was an MC at his finest, he played around with a lot of flows, and created a spectacilar peice of conceptual poetry with Stan. I don't know what makes anything by Biggie better than this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Chris Wallace was the most overrated MC in rap. He was good, even great, but he's way over praised. He very rarely expiremented, his flow and rhymes overshdowed his lyrical content. The guy basically retold gangster movies on wax. Where was the originality. I'm not saying Em is number one, or even close, but just because of Stan I place him above Biggie as far as being an artist goes.

yeah, Biggkie is overrated. Yeah, Eminem is a better MC than he was. And MMLP was a good album (his best IMO), but it was nothing classic or flawless, production was good, rapping was entertaining, but 17th best hiphop album ever? Hell naw...as good as Ready To Die? Neither

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

impact = sales ??

yeah, Biggkie is overrated. Yeah, Eminem is a better MC than he was. And MMLP was a good album (his best IMO), but it was nothing classic or flawless, production was good, rapping was entertaining, but 17th best hiphop album ever? Hell naw...as good as Ready To Die? Neither

Greatest and best aren't always the same thing. Thriller would make my top 20 Greatest Albums, but certainly not best. The MMLP single handedly created a new mega star in music. He was a hip hop artist and that album put him over the top. That is why I think it is on there. Personally I think just about every hip hop album sucks as far as albums go. For me to make a top 20 would be very difficult because I wouldn't know where to start.

West Coast Veteran

#25. Aceyalone - A Book of Human Language (1998)

#24. Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst (1996)

#23. Missy Elliot - Miss E ... So Addictive (2001)

#22. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message (1982)

#21. Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary (1988)

#20. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides (1999)

#19. The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (1992)

#18. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998)

#17. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)

#16. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out (1990)

#15. Jay-Z - The Blueprint (2001)

#14. Ice Cube - Death Certificate (1991)

#13. Gang Starr - Daily Operation (1992)

#12. Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill (1991)

#11. OutKast - Aquemini (1998)

#10. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (1989)

#9. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (1991)

#8. Nas - Illmatic (1994)

#7. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (1993)

#6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic (1992)

#5. Run-DMC - Raising Hell (1986)

#4. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet (1990)

#3. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994)

#2. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising (1988)

#1. Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (1987)

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
The top ten was respectable but the whole list sucks.

I assume that Public Enemy meant It Takes A Nation... not Fear Of A Black Planet.  How could you leave that off?
Slick Rick?  N.W.A?...those are top ten for sure.
This list just gets stupid at the end.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from Entertainment Weekly.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

topdogg187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
no doggystyle? no 2pac albums? what a fucekn garbage list.