Author Topic: Drop your thoughts about these 2 W.C. CLASSICS  (Read 426 times)

Myrealname

Drop your thoughts about these 2 W.C. CLASSICS
« on: September 18, 2002, 01:06:16 PM »
"FREESTYLE FELLOWSHIP"

"To Whom It May Concern..."

1. We Are the Freestyle Fellowship
2. My Fantasy
3. 7th Seal
4. Let's Start Over
5. Sunshine Men
6. Physical Form
7. 120 Seconds
8. We Will Not Tolerate
9. Dedications
10. It's On
11. Sike
12. 5 O'Clock Follies
13. Legal Alien
14. Convolutions
15. Jupiter's Journey
16. For No Reason
17. Here I Am
18. Future?

-One of the best underground classics you've probably never heard, Freestyle Fellowship's little-known, long-out-of-print first album was brilliantly conceived and executed. As much as we abuse the concept of "ahead of its time," the Fellowship's 1991 debut predicted a sound and approach to Left Coast underground hip-hop that not only eschewed the omnipresence of gangsta rap but also issued a bold challenge to all other corners of the hip-hop nation that L.A. was not to be taken lightly. Songs like "Sunshine Men," "For No Reason," and "Here I Am" let MCs like Aceyalone, All in All, Mikay 9, P.E.A.C.E., and Self Jupiter strike out bold statements of lyrical prowess over masterfully sampled tracks that pulsed with insight, energy, and inspiration. Your underground collection is not complete without this addition to the library. -(Oliver Wang )

"Inner City Griots"

1. Blood/Bullies On The Block
2. Everything's Everything
3. Shammy's/Heat Mizer
4. Six Tray
5. Danger
6. Inner City Boundaries/Bomb Zombies
7. Cornbread
8. Way Cool
9. Hot Potato
10. Mary
11. Park Bench People
12. Heavyweights/Tolerate
13. Respect Due
14. Pure Thought

-Los Angeles in the early 1990s was a creative hotbed for hip-hop innovation, and much of it took place at the Good Life Cafe--a South Central health-food store where the city's finest microphone fiends would gather to showcase their freestyle skills, spitting ghetto wisdom straight off their respective domes. The first group to rise from the scene was Freestyle Fellowship, comprised of Aceyalone, Mikah Nine, P.E.A.C.E., Self Jupiter, and DJ Kiilu. As the follow-up to their independent debut, To Whom It May Concern, Innercity Griots is a progressive hip-hop masterpiece and an incredible display of lyrical elevation. Freestyle Fellowship expand rap music's boundaries wider than their lungs right before they let loose the verbal acrobatics. Groundbreaking songs like "Inner City Boundaries," "Park Bench People," "Bullies of the Block," and "Hot Potato" brilliantly build on the concepts of old-school jazz improvisation in a present tense, as the MCs bounce verses off each other and the cool, jazzy beats. --James Tai -
I DONT KNOW Y'ALL BUT I STILL BUMP THIS 10 YEARS OLD ALBUMS LIKE NEW RELEASES....
Even if arent gangsta rap records,these 2 albums must be in the collection of a respectable west coast rap/hip hop true fan.

West Coast Veteran

Re: Drop your thoughts about these 2 W.C. CLASSICS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 02:39:32 PM »
I bought Inner City Griots because I thought the album would be like The Pharcyde's classic album Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde. I didn't like this album much because I'm not too into the underground sound but I know this album is used as a blueprint for today's underground hip hop.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Myrealname

Re: Drop your thoughts about these 2 W.C. CLASSICS
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 01:47:55 AM »
On the east coast underground scene there arent groups like
the Freestyle Fellowship.
These 2 albums are classic,still bangin after 10 years....this is the power of their music.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »