Author Topic: In The Studio with Rakim  (Read 541 times)

Myrealname

In The Studio with Rakim
« on: September 15, 2002, 04:12:25 AM »
Another long day has winded down in the studio. DJ Premier shuffles his way thru Dr.Dre's studio in a very swift manner. The man looks beat, the expression on his face seem to point to lack of sleep and rest.  

Premier brings a handful of DATs and zip drives to Mel-Man and Dr. Dre. "Damn you some picky Cali niggas aren't ya?" exclaims Premier, as he hands over his precious demos. Mel-Man and Dre's eye's gleam with delight, as they put the DATs in the machine and start to examine the latest Work of Mart.  

For about 30 seconds Dre's head is in constant movement, jerking up and down in unison with the beat.  Dre and Mel-Man look at each other, and give an almost silent agreement.  Mel-Man tells Primo "Yo we dig the Funkadelic chop you did, but we gonna get Scott and em to redo the bassline. Is that cool ma'man?". Primo replies "No question, I trust you and Dre. Ya'll my niggas.", as he dips into another bag he brought over.  

Dre takes a closer look and to his surprise, Primo dishes out about 10 old rare grooves and latin jazz records. As Premier and Dre go over the old collection, they talk and laugh as if they were old friends who have never left each other's side. Dre states "Me and Primo have an odd history together.  

My nigga DOC used to stay up near Austin, at about that time Primo started sending out demos from his old dorm room in Texas.  Me, Cube and Yella traveled down to Texas to see DOC, but instead we ran into Primo slanging mixtapes at Texas A&M." Primo chimes in "Man that was garbage back then. I was just struggling to pay for some books and having something so a nigga could eat. Dre was cool and shit, we exchanged numbers gave daps and went on our own ways.  

I didn't run into Dre until him and Snoop were in New York around 92-93.  He came by the D&D Studios and at that time me and Eddie Sancho were helping DJ Evil Dee engineer a couple tracks for the upcoming Black Moon album. Dre played us The Chronic and it was a reality check for me. I trashed alot of the beats I was doing at the time, which would have been for me and Guru's album Daily Operation."  

As Dre takes a sip of some coffee, Primo adds "Me and Dre, we opposites but we bring each other up, he inspired me to pick up the bass guitar and some live drum basics while he's starting to fuck with the the SP. "The SP1200, an ancient relic of hip hop production, a tool which has been championed by Buckwild, Pete Rock, Large Professor and Evil Dee, is now being put to use by Dre. "Cats forget I used to do the grimey, James Brown sampled shit." Dre exclaims, he goes on and says" The two joints imma lace Rakim with and the one im trying do with ma' man Primo, is just a reminder to niggas as to serve a reminder of how I started sound wise in the game."  

Dre then surprises me with an impromptu playing of "Cruel World", a straight from the gutter, no frills approach on the fate of man kind guest starring Ras Kass and Xzibit. Dre time stretches a sped up, nearly unrecognizable Donald Byrd sample. Im treated to three vibrant layers of various drums that have been EQ' ed, filtered and tweaked out, Primo comes to my side and whispers in a chuckling voice, "I loaned Dre a Roy Ayers live bootleg record I copped in Germany. He owes me for them drums kid." Other producers in line for "Oh My God" are Kayne West, Alchemist, Fred Wreck and Ayatollah. "Oh My God" is slated for a late November release date on Aftermath Records.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: In The Studio with Rakim
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2002, 04:29:18 AM »
This article is about 2 weeks old man.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Zero4eva

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 12:03:59 PM »
and I still doubt it......

HairWuzEre

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Timbaland
LMAO!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2002, 02:57:02 PM »
>= link=board=general;num=1032099145;start=0#1 date=09/15/02 at 09:29:18]This article is about 2 weeks old man.
No kidding, lol!

ROCCY

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 03:05:21 PM »

Smooth

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 03:34:06 PM »
>= link=board=general;num=1032099145;start=0#1 date=09/15/02 at 09:29:18]This article is about 2 weeks old man.

lol exactly...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

wildgremlin

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 07:57:50 PM »
:o