Author Topic: Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of all time  (Read 290 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of all time
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 09:51:45 PM »
No PAC album... and Michael Jackon's THRILLER at #20.... that should be in the top10, if not top5

Thriller in top 10? Come on, it's lucky to be at 20.

Thriller 0wNz  8)

I like it, but I could easily name 50 albums off the top of my head I enjoy more.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
I could just as easily name 50 reasons why you're a retarded fag... what's your point?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 10:25:15 PM »
putting the eminem show above illmatic just shows how much they are on his dick

they hold zero weight

-i just noticed every eminem album is above it

i cant say that im suprised, considering its a bunch of 60 year old white men

Much like the best greatest songs, and greatest arists lists, this list is not made up by the magazine. It is made up by thr industry. People vote for the albums on the list. By people I mean artists, producers, song writers, analysts. Don't blame the magazine for providing the best possible list that can be made by letting people directly involved in the music vote.

DAYUM

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 11:42:40 PM »
I could just as easily name 50 reasons why you're a retarded fag... what's your point?

now shit lincolen acts like his opinion means something and quit posting every bullshit rolling stones list they make...

-CaliKid-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ^dime^
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 12:52:55 AM »
No PAC album... and Michael Jackson's THRILLER at #20.... that should be in the top10, if not top5

yep

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 01:43:26 AM »
Rolling Stones list is an example of racial prejudice.  Notice there is no 2pac, Fugee's, Rakim, Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Nas, or rap artist at the top of this list.  They threw in a few token R@B artists, but let's be real, everyone knows African American's make better music than white people, African's brought the music with them over from the slave ships.  There are very few select white artists that can compete at their level, Rolling Stone's list should reflect this fact.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 04:35:22 AM »
hmmm, i would put abbey road at #1, revolver #2, sgt peppers #3, white album #4, then who knows

I'd put White Album #1 but that's just me.
my fav beetles album also

Rolling Stones list is an example of racial prejudice. Notice there is no 2pac, Fugee's, Rakim, Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Nas, or rap artist at the top of this list. They threw in a few token R@B artists, but let's be real, everyone knows African American's make better music than white people, African's brought the music with them over from the slave ships. There are very few select white artists that can compete at their level, Rolling Stone's list should reflect this fact.
i think you should be the new forum's"ignorant dumbass"

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2004, 06:07:08 AM »
I think "What's Going On" or "White Album" could be my personal no. 1

and look, it is absolutely 100% impossible to make everybody happy with such a list. Many of you have to take in account that you're mainly hiphop heads, who are into this music style waaay deeper than most of the voters...of course any Eminem album > Illmatic is complete bullshit, but I think that people who are into another genre alot might think the same about theirs...this is a reflection of pop music and the taste a few voters have in pop music and nobody knows all great albums there are, so it is logical that most styles are represented merely by their most popular and well-respected albums in mainstream. The hiphop heads there might have been among the voters prolly didn't put Eminem Show above Illmatic, but those who just listened to hiphop like i listen to jazz eg, which is pretty rarely and never really getting into it alot, prolly don't know Illmatic. There are hundreds of hiphop albums better than TES those people just never heard (of)...of course there's no Season Of Da Siccness and no The Infamous on there, que sorpresa

well, just for people to compare, here's the top 50 of the german Rolling Stone Edition...I disagree with alot too, and there are enuff albums i haven't even heard:

1. Bob Dylan -Blonde On Blonde

2. Beatles - Revolver

3. Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

4. Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

5. Beatles - White Album

6. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

7. Nirvana - Nevermind

8. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

9. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

10. Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

11. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

12. Joni Mitchell - Blue

13. Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

14. Johnny Cash - American Recordings

15. R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

16. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

17. Ramones - Ramones

18. Prince - Sign O' The Times

19. Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home

20. Pearl Jam - Ten

21. Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

22. Beatles - Abbey Road

23. Little Feat - Sailin' Shoes

24. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

25. Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

26. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

27. Beatles - Rubber Soul

28. The Who - Who's Next

29. The Clash - London Calling

30. Radiohead - OK Computer

31. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

32. Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk

33. Neil Young - Harvest

34. The Clash - The Clash

35. Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous

36. Velvet Underground - Loaded

37. Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Love And Hate

38. Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory

39. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

40. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

41. John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

43. Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth

44. Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club

45. Allman Brothers Band - At Philmore East

46. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

47. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted From Memory

48. Brian Eno - Another Green World

49. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

50. U2 - The Joshua Tree
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

looking at this list makes me think the US one is comparatively well-balanced. Wanna know where "Thriller" is in the top 500? No. 289. Yup. Illmatic? Nowhere...best hiphop album is "Paul's Boutique" (71.), the others are "3 Feet High & Rising" (94.), "Raising Hell" (174.), "Licensed To Ill" (182.), "Yo! Bum Rush The Show" (328.), "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" (345.), "The Marshall Mathers LP" (348.), "The Chronic" (365.), "Fear Of A Black Planet" (466.) & "Things Fall Apart" (476.). The list shows very clearly that most of the jury love punk and rock in general; "Nevermind" 7th best album in music history, "Never Mind The Bollocks" 6th? And then James Brown comes 443. with "In The Jungle Groove" (his only work that made the list), beaten by various insignificant german punk albums? Bob Marley's "Exodus" is 104th and best reggae album, only The Specials' self-titled ska album made the top 100 at 69? Almost every R.E.M. album is among the 500 best? No Funkadelic or Parliament in the whole top 500? What's Going On only 4oth? I could go on for a long time.......
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 06:09:23 AM by Kill »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 09:51:39 AM »

No point, it's all opinion. I just think MJ is extremely overrated, although I do like his music a lot.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris