Author Topic: Underground Or Mainstream Success  (Read 253 times)

C-Swift

Underground Or Mainstream Success
« on: November 22, 2004, 12:50:13 PM »
Which would you rather have? I would much rather have underground success because it's so much talent that comes from the under and peeps don't have no reason to not network when they see that what you are doing is original, etc.

Throwback

Re: Underground Or Mainstream Success
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:01:24 PM »
mainstream succes. I am a materialistic pig. i want to get real rich real quick.

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 01:14:19 PM »
mainstream succes. I am a materialistic pig. i want to get real rich real quick.

Word, me too.

I don't wanna be an underground legend and have to start a 9 to 5 job when I'm 40 and I've hung up the mic.

Don Breezio

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 01:39:52 PM »
yeah im down for mainstream....as much as i love underground hip hop.....they dont make nearly as much as mainstream.....hell i'd bust out some stupid poppy singles too for millions of dollars

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 01:51:53 PM »
^^ Yeah, I guess I would go be a mainstream success aswell.. I love underground more than anything, I basically only listen to it now, but mainstream wouldn't be too bad to get all that cash flow. I wouldn't want to sound like some poppy rapper though.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 01:54:12 PM »
I want to be a highly respected rapper who gets paid really well and still can live a normal life without too much fame and mainstream... pretty much what Nas is.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sindrom

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 02:11:13 PM »
Id just stay true to myself and if the mainstream happend to like me its all good but i wouldnt go making songs so the mainstream would except me.
Suck my dick it's the kid with the fat nob, I bust all in ya face, plus it come in globs.

daWappla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Wean! ... oda wos is?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »
depends... u can be "real" as a mainstream artist.. I dont know.. what is considered mainstream and what underground?....I think basically you could still be considered as a underground artist when you own a label and nationwide distribution deal but still don´t have to make any concessions.. to me mainstream means that you do what someone is telling you to do... selling yourself out for the big cheque... because thats why there is something like underground... people are doing music that only very few people can enjoy... you won´t see those names on the billboard charts..

to sum that up ... to me at least:

underground: do what you wanna do but only selling a few records
mainstream: selling out to a certain degree and reaching hundredthousands  or millions of people...

.. personally I´d stay underground to make the music where I could put my heart into but I  would try to make money with other projects... for example using a fake name to produce some pop bullshit... or pokemon soundtracks over in japan.. lol dont know....

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 03:08:39 PM »
I want to be a highly respected rapper who gets paid really well and still can live a normal life without too much fame and mainstream... pretty much what Nas is.

yeah. only that's hella hard to achieve...not many Nas's out there

Westside Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 01:20:30 AM »
Id go underground and do the idependant first then go mainstream.

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 08:36:02 AM »

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 01:00:50 PM »
I would much prefer underground success. Most underground dudes make a lot more money per cd than the mainstream guys anyway, so even though they sell less, they probably end up earning pretty much the same as your average mainstream rapper (I don't mean the big earners like Nelly, Jay Z, Snoop, etc). Therefore, to make music that I truly believed was dope, and still get decent pay for it would be much more satisfying to me than selling out yet making loads of money.

Although, as daWappla suggested, I would probably spend like ten minutes making a dance album under an alias, and trying to make money off of that, if that would then allow me to continue making albums I really wanted to make through the money gained from a project like that.

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 02:04:20 AM »

underground...

i know some underground folks...who always say they will never go mainstream..kuz in mainstream..u got 2 many hands ....and most mainstream cats make money from concerts than they do album sells.. and u aint got no1 rushin u to put out shit..u goin ya own pace

i would rather make my own noise..than be in a group of noise makers... 8)

ecrazy

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 05:19:24 PM »
I would try to make money with other projects... for example using a fake name to produce some pop bullshit... or pokemon soundtracks over in japan.. lol dont know....

Dj Babu From Dilated People Does that, he uses his real name though....He Created The "Blues Clues" theme Music

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »
Which would you rather have? I would much rather have underground success because it's so much talent that comes from the under and peeps don't have no reason to not network when they see that what you are doing is original, etc.

mainstream success
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008