Author Topic: U.S. rejects Ukranian election results.... LOL WTF  (Read 743 times)

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
U.S. rejects Ukranian election results.... LOL WTF
« on: November 24, 2004, 11:51:12 AM »
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) said Wednesday the United States does not consider legitimate the results of elections in Ukraine, which the opposition says was marred by fraud.

He challenged leaders of the former Soviet bloc nation "to decide whether they are on the side of democracy or not."

"If the Ukrainian government does not act immediately and responsibly there will be consequences for our relationship, for Ukraine's hopes for a Euro-Atlantic integration and for individuals responsible for perpetrating fraud," Powell said.

The secretary was not explicit. However, the United States often revokes the U.S. visas of officials involved in perpetrating fraudulent elections in foreign countries.

Another option would be to refuse Ukrainian entry into Euro-Atlantic organizations such as NATO (news - web sites).

Powell said he spoke with outgoing Ukraine President Leonid Kuchma and urged that his government not crack down on demonstrators. He also spoke with other regional leaders, including Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Powell spoke to reporters shortly after election officials in Ukraine declared that Kremlin-backed Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych won the election over opposition candidate Viktor Yushchenko. The announcement raised fears of violence in Kiev, where tens of thousands of demonstrators have been demanding that the results be overturned.

"We cannot accept this result as legitimate, because it does not meet international standards and because there has not been an investigation of the numerous and credible reports of fraud and abuse," Powell said. ( HOW IRONIC)

The crisis in Ukraine also posed a dilemma for the United States. Ukraine has supported the military campaign in Iraq (news - web sites), and contributed 1,600 soldiers to the coalition. Yushchenko had said that if elected, he would withdraw Ukraine's troops.

Powell did not elaborate about his conversation with Lavrov, but said he advocated a solution to the crisis in Ukraine that is "based on the law, using legal procedures."

The State Department confirmed Tuesday that it had summoned the Russian ambassador and discussed Ukraine. The Kremlin described the meeting as "unprecedented interference" in another country's affairs.

Powell said Wednesday he discussed the elections with European Union (news - web sites) officials and with Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski, who has offered to mediate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look who's talking...  ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 12:09:59 PM by *Jamal* »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: U.S. rejects Ukranian election results.... LOL WTF
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 12:03:24 PM »
yay for ukraine.. and us better not atack them.. that wouldnt be nice.

Jome

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 12:10:36 PM »

True that, but the election in Ukraine have been a disgrace..

* Predicts Ukrainian civil war *

acbaylove

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
So the whole Ucraina is not accepting the results and is about to make a civil war and all you can do is to make joke on Colin Powell? Well, if that's the only thing you care, then Kofi Annan said the same things Powell said. So please stop with those stupid comments. Thanx.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 12:31:26 PM »
So the whole Ucraina is not accepting the results and is about to make a civil war and all you can do is to make joke on Colin Powell? Well, if that's the only thing you care, then Kofi Annan said the same things Powell said. So please stop with those stupid comments. Thanx.

Oh Oh, Spaghetti-O's

acbaylove

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 01:01:34 PM »
Intelligent reply. Like usual. ::)

tommyilromano

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 01:13:28 PM »
The dude who won wants to make Russian the 2nd national language and allow unrestricted travel between Russia and Ukraine. I wonder who is behind this...?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 01:21:29 PM »
Things are gettin hectic in Ukraine. I have several close comrades who are Ukrainian and they have been keepin tabs with the situation back home. Revolution is in the air. People have been taking to the streets by the thousands, seems like the normally passive Ukranians have finally had enough of Russian influenced bullshit and corruption. Hope things go smoothly there, because it has all the makings of a nasty civil conflict (regional disparities, foreign influence, corrupt/illegitimate govt)
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

acbaylove

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 01:33:57 PM »
It's a disgrace, yeah. But some people only care to say:

That's another disgrace.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 04:35:47 PM »
I wasn't going to tell you anything, but here I go... I purposely made the post the way I did because I expected certain people to get their panties in a twist over it; however, I didn't expect you to be one of them. Tactic worked, wrong idiot fell for it, oh well. By the way, don't ever talk about intelligence when I've put you in your place numerous times, and make you end up agreeing with me. What kind of retarded shit do you resort to when I leave your mind boggling? Here is the answer:

Yeah, i was replying more to Jamal than to you. ;)

I haven't posted in this thread. This is my 1st post, so what the fuck are you claiming to be replying to?

ROFL!! Man soon i'll start having nightmares about you! ;D
Yes, you will, so don't step to thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis Real Muthafuckin G  8)

acbaylove

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 05:28:40 PM »
Man you just looked like Ant, and i looked like Trauma. LOL.

That reply was a sarcastic one in response to your "Oh Oh, Spaghetti-O's". You prefeer me to write "SONNED!" and "i've proved you i'm more intelligent than you since you cant reply with things related to the topic but just disses" like all the other morons in this board do? Naw, who cares? I'm not here to get you sonned, or other people's sonned. I'm not here to prove you if and how i'm intelligent, and viceversa. I'm here to discuss about things. If you just made a provocation, then ok, i didnt understand it was somehow "a joke", cause you really looked like Ant in this topic. The shit in Ucraina, like you know, is more serious than that, and they really dont give a flying fuck about Powell. They are about to make a civil war, so.. But ok, i didnt understand it. Let's go ahead.

P.S. The "ROFL!! Man soon i'll start having nightmares about you!" reply was another funny/sarcastic one about the fact i misplaced you with 7even making a typo. Not a big deal. But your replies were and still are funny about it, so.. i'm a man who's always ready to make a good belly laugh.

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 11:20:41 PM »
Damn, I'm starting to lose track

Afganistan Check
Iraq Check
Iran (working on it)
Ukrane

acbaylove

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 03:22:43 AM »
KIEV, Ukraine — Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko called Wednesday for a nationwide strike to close down schools, factories and transportation after authorities declared Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovich the winner of Ukraine's bitterly contested presidential election.

U.S. officials, citing allegations of fraud, swiftly rejected the legitimacy of the result, called for a review of the vote and warned of possible penalties. "If the Ukrainian government does not act immediately and responsibly," Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said in Washington, "there will be consequences for our relationship, for Ukraine's hopes for Euro-Atlantic integration and for individuals responsible for perpetrating fraud."

As tension over the election continued to rise, both Yushchenko and outgoing President Leonid D. Kuchma — who has backed Yanukovich — cautioned that the nation was at risk for civil war.

A massive crowd of Yushchenko supporters gathered in and around central Kiev's Independence Square for a third day. Addressing the throng, Yushchenko condemned the decision to name Yanukovich the winner and declared, "With this decision, they wanted to bring us to our knees. My friends, not a single tear should drop with this news. I want to pledge that the actions against this regime will be even stronger."

Yushchenko said the general strike would be "our answer to the lawlessness of Kuchma and Yanukovich." In addition to the work stoppage, the opposition is pressing legal challenges to the vote count.

Despite Yushchenko's assertion that the country was on "the edge of civil war," the mood among his supporters in the streets remained more festive than fearful.

The Central Election Commission declared Yanukovich the winner of Sunday's vote with 49.5% to Yushchenko's 46.6%. The prime minister, whose base of support lies in largely Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine, was Moscow's favored candidate.

An exit poll funded in part by the U.S. Embassy and other Western diplomatic missions had shown Yushchenko winning 54% to 43%, and foreign observers have charged that massive vote-rigging and election irregularities created a fraudulent result. Yushchenko, seen as a pro-Western democratic reformer, has his base of support in Kiev, the capital, and in the country's primarily Ukrainian-speaking western region.

The final outcome of the crisis will probably determine whether this former Soviet republic of 48 million people will move toward warmer ties with the United States and Europe or a tighter relationship with Russia. But both Russian and U.S. officials have sought to play down the geopolitical overtones of the conflict.

"We're not looking for [any] contest with the Russians over this," Powell said in Washington. "We're looking for a way to make sure that the will of the Ukrainian people is respected."

Foreign observers have alleged that various abuses were used to inflate Yanukovich's totals and reduce Yushchenko's votes. These included the disenfranchisement of many citizens through faulty voter lists, the use of absentee ballots and mobile ballot boxes to allow multiple voting in support of Yanukovich, and illegal measures to invalidate results in districts favoring Yushchenko. There also have been allegations of direct computer manipulation of the vote count.

Yanukovich appeared on state television Wednesday to propose talks with Yushchenko — but on the basis of himself being president-elect. "We will look for common ground," he said. "I am ready to listen to the opposition proposals…. We must improve our lives, and we will do it together — all of our citizens and myself as president of Ukraine."

In his televised remarks, Kuchma alluded to the civil war after the communist revolution that established the Soviet Union. "The civil war at the beginning of the last century — which we know about, thank goodness, only from films — could well become a reality at the present time," he said.

Accusing the opposition of trying to "carry out … a plan of a coup d'etat," Kuchma reiterated his call for "all political forces to negotiate immediately" and asked the international community to "refrain from interference in Ukraine's affairs."

In Warsaw, Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski, considered a personal friend of Kuchma's, said he might head to Kiev to play the role of mediator.

"I have been invited by both Yushchenko and Kuchma to come to Kiev, but no decision has been made, because I should go only when there is material for a serious discussion," Kwasniewski told journalists in the Polish capital.

Yulia Tymoshenko — a Ukrainian opposition leader who has been playing the role of fiery activist in counterpoint to Yushchenko's more presidential demeanor — told the crowd in Independence Square that protesters would "surround all government buildings, block railways, airports and highways."

"We have a strict intention to seize power in our hands at these sites," she said, vowing a "consistent struggle that will lead to the destruction of this regime."

Yushchenko backers said they had established a "National Salvation Committee" in a government building they had peacefully taken over a few hundred yards from the main rally site.

"As far as I know, the employees just let people in," said Tanya Bushnova, a local journalist at the site. "There are 300 people from Lviv [a western city] staying there. I think other buildings will voluntarily open their doors as well."

Some protesters went to the nearby presidential administration building, where for a second evening they faced off against hundreds of riot police. Throughout the day, protesters had stuck flowers into the officers' shields.

Among Yushchenko backers, fears of immediate violence have centered on the possibility that paid provocateurs or Yanukovich supporters arriving in Kiev by bus from the eastern mining region of Donetsk might initiate clashes.

When hundreds of Yanukovich backers gathered outside the Central Election Commission building Wednesday afternoon, Yushchenko supporters who were there pulled back and rejoined the main rally in Independence Square in a bid to reduce the possibility of clashes.

Alexey Silioh, 21, a Kiev electrician who joined the Yanukovich supporters outside the commission, said he believed the Yushchenko camp wanted to see violence. "I can clearly feel the provocation," he said. "If there is a conflict, we'll have NATO forces here and we'll become a colony."

Zina Korobanova, 53, a pensioner who came from eastern Ukraine to support Yanukovich, said she feared that if Yushchenko were to become president, he would shut down coal mines, worsening unemployment in the area.

By Wednesday afternoon, an encampment established by Yushchenko backers near Independence Square had grown to about 600 tents. In addition to sheltering supporters, its purpose appeared to be to provide a Yushchenko stronghold in the city center, ensuring that traffic could not move freely and that protesters could not be dispersed without the use of force.

Yanukovich supporters had begun setting up tents in a nearby park Tuesday, but by Wednesday evening that encampment was shrinking, amid indications that some backers of the prime minister were leaving the city.

The large crowds filling the capital prompted the State Department on Wednesday to warn U.S. citizens in Ukraine to avoid central Kiev because of "the potential for civil unrest and disturbances."

Powell urged all sides "to work to achieve a fair and just outcome without the use of force."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-ukraine25nov25,0,6818439.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 04:23:31 AM »
and i thaught the cold war was over

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

[Stoned]Jesus H. Christ[Wheat]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Reefer Addict - Abusing It Faster Than A $2 Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 07:20:59 AM »
Damn, I'm starting to lose track

Afganistan Check
Iraq Check
Iran (working on it)
Ukrane

right, you guys are still working on iraq. Going in and killing a bunch of people doesn't mean you've completed your mission....unless it was just to kill people then leave.
It's 4:20, are you smoking?

Lady Scarface