Author Topic: Is Hip-Hop To Blame For Society's Ills?  (Read 175 times)

C-Swift

Is Hip-Hop To Blame For Society's Ills?
« on: November 27, 2004, 04:35:01 PM »
I ask because people love to blame rappers and hip hop for America's ills, like violence.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is Hip-Hop To Blame For Society's Ills?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 05:12:35 PM »
No.. music is just an expression of society.  Its more representative of societies ills, than responsible for societies ills.  That said, I continute to wonder why so many hip-hop heads on this board, seem to hate society. 

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 05:47:37 PM »
Rappers didn't invent violence, but some do glorify it, or see it in a more positive manner.  I haven't really talked to anyone who blamed rap music for causing America's problems, but I have encountered many who believe that rap is negative because of so many rap artists projecting a distorted image of many things including violence, weapons, death, women and drugs. 

-b[X]
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 06:19:37 PM »
Rappers didn't invent violence, but some do glorify it, or see it in a more positive manner.  I haven't really talked to anyone who blamed rap music for causing America's problems, but I have encountered many who believe that rap is negative because of so many rap artists projecting a distorted image of many things including violence, weapons, death, women and drugs. 

-b[X]

Yup.  There is bad and good in the world, you have to wonder about those who focus on the evil. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 09:17:18 PM »

-b[X]

Very true statements. I've been noticing lately that I have been straying away from that type of hip hop lately. I guess some people can relate to the negativity but for me it's not really a reality.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 11:35:06 PM »
The fact of the matter is, hip hop is NOT meant for the soft tounge. If you dont like the violence and the cursing, dont listen to it, simple as that!!! Hip hop was originated on the streets of the Bronx, its meant to have a hardcore and raw sound. Im tired of all these ignorant conservatives and old farts saying it only promotes violence and has no meaning to it.....fuck that. Fact of the matter is, much of hip hop has an important political and social message, and is for those who grew up on "the otherside of perfect". Sorry, but not everything in this world is lovey dovey. Far from it as a matter of fact. I think society will be better off when people learn to accept that hip hop is an artform and IS here to stay.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

dexter

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 06:45:27 AM »
Death was here before Rap music.
War and all other kinds of violence.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 11:48:01 AM »
The government is to blame for society's ills. How do U think kids get effected when they hear that we've killed over 100,000 people in a few months? U take 3,000 of us, we take 30x that. Tough guys.

But Hip Hop does have its influences though regardless, if U meet and coversate wit gangs members that claim the suburbs, you'll kno what im talkin about. Rebels without a cause, acting upon influence.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:53:42 AM by RODZILLA is BAY AREA Hip Hop »

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 11:59:09 AM »
if U meet and coversate wit gangs members that claim the suburbs, you'll kno what im talkin about. Rebels without a cause, acting upon influence.

LOL... sad, funny, and true..

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 11:47:48 PM »
So it's wrong to fight wars between countries, but yet you're first in line whenever gangs are brought up, and they're blacks killing blacks over fucking WORDS and SIGNS.  You're a fucking loon

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 11:48:37 PM »
"Mothafucka TELL ME THAT AINT NO BLUE RAG... OH SHIT, THAT *ISSSSS* A BLUE RAGGG!!!! IMMMA KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKERE!@!!!!!!"

LOL clowns

Elevz

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 12:17:57 AM »
"Mothafucka TELL ME THAT AINT NO BLUE RAG... OH SHIT, THAT *ISSSSS* A BLUE RAGGG!!!! IMMMA KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKERE!@!!!!!!"

LOL clowns
^^

Anyway, back to the topic... Real hiphop just reflects what goes on in the society - don't get it twisted. You might blame fake hiphop for the society's ills though since they don't know what they're talking about and yet they are "promoting" it.

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 05:04:09 AM »
Yeah. I think the ills were allll the time in the society, hip-hop just tells people about these ills. And some rappers doin' macho about it, and might promote it a bit.

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.