Author Topic: Canada, U.S. to work together on common goals  (Read 193 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Canada, U.S. to work together on common goals
« on: November 30, 2004, 06:36:19 PM »
Canada, U.S. to work together on common goals
CTV.ca News Staff

The U.S. President George W. Bush chowed down with a meal of New Brunswick lobster and Alberta beef at a glittering dinner held in his honour on Tuesday night.

"I was pleased to see when I opened the menu that we will be eating Alberta beef," Bush told guests. He is likely the only American eating Canadian beef Tuesday night.

Neither Bush nor Prime Minister Paul Martin sank their teeth into the question they were expected to answer by now: when will the U.S. border open to Canadian beef?

Flanked by Mounties, regional police and security, the U.S. and Canadian leaders arrived in the Grand Hall of Gatineau's Museum of Civilization Tuesday night.

"We don't always agree, and we won't always agree. But there is a spirit of renewal in the relationship between our two countries," Martin said before toasting the American people and their leader.

Smoothing over the political differences that divide their two countries, . Bush and Martin announced plans to craft a new North American partnership at a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday afternoon..

Bush and Martin told reporters their morning meeting failed to reach an agreement on resolving the outstanding trade issues of mad cow and softwood lumber.

But, the prime minister said they had reached agreement on devising a common strategy for the future.

"It was indeed a productive meeting," Martin said. "In fact, we agreed to put forward an agenda in which our two nations will cooperate in a practical way towards common goals."

"It's about working together to advance democratic values and fundamental freedoms around the world," he added.

Noting that North American partner Mexico will also be called to the table, the prime minister said the specific priorities would be laid out in negotiations next year.

On the subject of trade in beef and lumber, Bush told reporters he recognizes that Canadians' are eager for a quick resolution.

"I understand the integrated nature of the cattle business and I hope we can get this issue resolved as quickly as possible," Bush said, assuring his audience the White House is processing the file "as quickly as possible."

"But there's a bureaucracy involved," he added.

"I'll readily concede we've got one," the president said, referring to the potentially five-month review now underway at the Office of Business and Management.

Addressing the same issue, Martin said he understands the president's political position, but nevertheless told him that the process, as it exists, is flawed.

"The system at the present time does not correspond to the reality," Martin said, suggesting there needs to be a better way. "There is something the matter with the dispute resolution mechanism that allows these things to go on and on."

Bush is on a whirlwind two-day tour of Canada that began in Ottawa and wraps up in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Wednesday.

He is accompanied by first lady Laura Bush, as well as U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and his named successor Condoleezza Rice.

Mending fences

Touted as a fence-mending mission, the trip to Ottawa marks the American president's only official visit to Canada since first taking office four years ago.

At the time, many thought Bush had snubbed Canada by choosing Mexico as the destination of his trip abroad. Relations were further strained when then-prime minister Jean Chretien refused to contribute troops to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

Hoping to abandon his predecessor's legacy of bad blood with Washington since he was elected prime minister, Martin has done his best to thaw relations.

At their press conference on Tuesday, the two leaders did their best to show they've made progress on that front.

When reporters tried to corner the president on his differences with Canada on the war in Iraq, for example, Bush wasn't fazed.

"I made some decisions, obviously, that some in Canada didn't agree with... But the agenda that the prime minister and I talked about is one... where most should agree," he said.

Among the areas of common ground, he continued, is the desire to help spread democracy around the world.

"I fully understand there are some in my country, probably in your country and around the world that do not believe that Iraq has the capacity of self-government... That's not what I think."

Describing himself as "the kind of fella who does what he thinks is right," Bush suggested he'd take the same approach to Iraq if the issue arose today.

"I'll consult with my friends and neighbours, but if I thinks think it's right to remove Saddam Hussein for the security of the United States that's the course of action that I'll take."

Following up on Bush's remarks, Martin admitted Ottawa and Washington disagree on "various questions of foreign policy," but chose instead to turn the focus to the country's shared values.

"It's quite normal among countries to have this kind of disagreement. But we have common shared values, shared ambitions and we share optimism also. That is what is fundamental."

Skipping the Parliamentary address of his presidential predecessors, Bush is reserving his big public speech for Halifax on Wednesday.

That's when he is expected to thank Atlantic Canadians for their help in the wake of the Sept. 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1101842642309_26?hub=topstories

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

Re: Canada, U.S. to work together on common goals
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 08:14:46 PM »
Interesting read.  I'll never understand why people think Bush is an idiot; he seems extremely shrewd to me. 

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:20:38 PM »
Bush is going to be written down in history as one of the best presidents

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 08:22:52 PM »

LOL

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 08:23:52 PM »

LOL
no joke

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 08:31:24 PM »

LOL
no joke

The numbers speak for themselves... net jobs created (lost), deficit, etc.... I dislike him, but I won't blindly say that he's the worst president... there have been worse (presidents who didn't do anything)... but he's far from being one of the best

Also, I see it this way...  if he were "one of the best", he would've won the 2004 popular vote by a greater margin...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 08:39:11 PM by *Jamal* »

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 08:42:01 PM »
come on presidents dont creat jobs. ceos do.the only reason we lost jobs was that a few select ceos decided to cook the books (enron, mci worldcom) that was greed and not bushes fault. once that happened the economy got worse. again not bushes fault. bush has proven to be a strong leader and people will remember him far that

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 10:27:46 PM »
come on presidents dont creat jobs. ceos do.the only reason we lost jobs was that a few select ceos decided to cook the books (enron, mci worldcom) that was greed and not bushes fault. once that happened the economy got worse. again not bushes fault. bush has proven to be a strong leader and people will remember him far that

It's not the job of a Chief Excecutive Officer to create jobs.  If anything he'll want to minimize jobs to keep costs down.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 12:54:09 PM »

Bush has a strong grip on the Justice Dept and the Federal Securities Commission. Explain to me then dear sir, why none of these crooks are being prosecuted to the full extent of the law? You know Bush is down with Ken Lay like AC is down with OJ.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 03:06:29 PM »

Bush has a strong grip on the Justice Dept and the Federal Securities Commission. Explain to me then dear sir, why none of these crooks are being prosecuted to the full extent of the law? You know Bush is down with Ken Lay like AC is down with OJ.
ken lay is mad at bush. hes not down
http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/01/news/midcaps/ken_lay/

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 03:10:13 PM »
Ken Lay has been supporting Bush financially for decades, some crack pot link doesnt change that.

He financed his gubernatorial campaigns, his presidential campaign, Enron board members were a part of Cheneys Economic Task Force, the list goes on, but eventually Ill get bored, and youll stop caring, as it always happens around here
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 06:28:59 PM »
Ken Lay has been supporting Bush financially for decades, some crack pot link doesnt change that.

He financed his gubernatorial campaigns, his presidential campaign, Enron board members were a part of Cheneys Economic Task Force, the list goes on, but eventually Ill get bored, and youll stop caring, as it always happens around here
shiiiiit dre and suge used to be down they made millions together put out some of the most influential records ever, then one day dre left. now they dont talk and they are mad at each other. same thing has gone on here, diffrent names and no violence but same idea. shit happens and you cant do anything about it