Author Topic: Nas Sparks Controversy w/ 'Coon Picnic' Song  (Read 1718 times)

THA ONE*

• 'G'
  • WELL KNOWN IN THE HOOD LIKE THE DOPE MAN PHONE #
Nas Sparks Controversy w/ 'Coon Picnic' Song
« on: December 03, 2004, 10:47:33 AM »
Nas Sparks Controversy w/ 'Coon Picnic' Song

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On his new album, Street's Disciple, Nas commands your attention: He forces you to hit the rewind button a few times before his verses are finished, then makes you ask the person nearest to you, "Did you hear that?" There's plenty of fodder
for discussion stored within his double-disc set, which came out on Tuesday.

A track that has everyone talking is disc one's "These Are Our Heroes" (released to the streets with the title "Coon Picnic") on which Nas raps, "Let's hear it, one for the coons on UPN 9 and WB who 'yes massa' on TV/ Whatever happened to Weezy, the Red Foxxes who never got Emmys but were real to me?"

O.J. Simpson, Taye Diggs and Tiger Woods are among those he lashes out at. NBA star Kobe Bryant, however, catches most of the heat on the record, being called out by name and compared to Toby from the miniseries "Roots."

"You can't do better than that?/ The hotel clerk who adjusts the bathroom mat?" Nas says in his verses, referencing Bryant's much-publicized criminal charge for sexual assault in Colorado. "You beat the rap, jiggaboo, fake n---a you, you turn around then you sh-- on Shaq."

Nas recently said he was contemplating releasing the song as a single but did not know if media outlets would be able to embrace it.

"It's a fun record," Nas insisted. "I pick out certain guys that's heavy in the media who — whether they're athletes, rappers, whatever — I think [they're] cooning. I don't know if radio and TV are ready for those images, but they should be, because that's what hip-hop is."

A song that Nas is almost sure he will release in the near future is "Virgo," with Ludacris and Doug E. Fresh. The song has already made its way onto mixtapes (see "Mixtape Monday: Young Buck Gets Shine On G-Unit City, Luda Talks Birth Of 'Virgo' ").

"That joint was fun," he said. "Doug E. Fresh is one of the greatest entertainers and one of the guys I looked up to. Ludacris is witty, fun and one of the tightest lyricists out there. All of us are cool, and one of the main reasons is we share the same sign.

"Doug does the beat box on the record," he continued, "so it reminds you of a Slick Rick, 'La Di Da Di'-style [song]. On 'La Di Da Di,' Slick Rick was having fun talking about this girl he bumped into. It's vulgar, it's funny, and Ludacris brings that effect to it. Being a fan of Slick Rick, I bring that Slick Rick/ New York vibe to it."

Nas said he and Fresh originally did the song together but decided to ask Ludacris to join the collaboration because he and Luda had been talking about working on another song (the two first rapped together on Nas' "Made You Look" remix) — and because Cris is a Virgo.

"Our birthdays are close to each other," Nas said. "We've been talking about doing a birthday party together, and this song is like a party on wax."

Another major collaborator on Street's Disciple is Busta Rhymes. He laid down the chorus for "Suicide Bounce," a song which also features newcomer Quan (Quan, an MC from VA, is the man Nas says he's passing the baton to as the new hot MC on "Just a Moment").

" 'Suicide Bounce' is based off when you feel pressured and you feel like you can't take it, but you're not dumb enough to take your life," Nas said. "You feel like you want to do something to somebody, you just wanna go off. The energy of the record is to keep you going, push you forward, keep you bouncing instead of calling it quits. Busta Rhymes is on the hook, and he brings the energy. It felt like 'Hate Me Now.' "

Love and hate are the themes of "War," which Nas calls his most personal record on the double opus.

" 'War' is [about] my baby-mama drama," he said. " 'War' talks about when my daughter was born and me first being on the scene with stardom. It kinda went to my head. Me and her mom were young. It just shows what happens to the household when we run and speed into things. I don't really wanna blame anybody, even though I did go through extra-crazy scenarios. I still don't point the finger; I'm the bigger man. I think everything is an experience, and I feel you learn from everything. That record got personal because I named the years and dates from where I'm at."

Believe it or not, Nas says it's that style of record that makes him second-guess himself.

"You lay the record down, and then you don't want nobody to hear it," he said. "[You ask], 'Are they going to judge me?' After it's laid, I'm scared, and I don't want the record to come out. I'm like, 'Let's change it.' It's too late by then. But I say forget it and just let it be out."

Nas admits he's a little weird. Luckily he has two soul mates, his fiancee, Kelis, and his child, Destiny, to help keep him sane.

"They're my therapists," he said. "I'm a tortured, torn, insane guy. They make me feel great."

Kelis, who appears twice on the album (see "Nas Salutes The Ladies, Past And Present, On Upcoming LP"), acted as muse for some of his rhymes. "She was there for a lot of it," Nas said. "She helped me out on two songs — just [her] talking to me inspired me."

For a look at the recording of Street's Disciple, check out the feature "Nas: A Fire Inside."

— Shaheem Reid, with reporting by Curtis Waller and Bridget Bland

Nas' new shit is a banger! He spittin some real shit

SHEMAR MOORE SAID I'M DOIN THE CRIP WALK....I SHOULDA SMEARED OFF HIS LIP GLOSS

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Nas Sparks Controversy w/ 'Coon Picnic' Song
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 10:54:11 AM »
I hate how he implies that any black person that speaks well or conducts himself in an appropriate manner is some sort of sell out, or "coon". Just because Nas doesn't know how to speak proper English doesn't make him more black or better black than any other black guy. I don't know if he's joking around or not, but if he is being serious then he's an idiot. Tiger Woods doesn't coke from the ghetto or streets, why should he have to give back to it in any way? When Nas starts giving money to farm aid, then I'll want Tiger Woods tom give money to Queensbridge. Nas is no "hero" himself. He's just another idiot with opinions he doesn't think too much about, because if he did think about them he'd realize it isn't his place to call people out like that for no reason.

THA ONE*

• 'G'
  • WELL KNOWN IN THE HOOD LIKE THE DOPE MAN PHONE #
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 11:04:15 AM »
I hate how he implies that any black person that speaks well or conducts himself in an appropriate manner is some sort of sell out, or "coon". Just because Nas doesn't know how to speak proper English doesn't make him more black or better black than any other black guy. I don't know if he's joking around or not, but if he is being serious then he's an idiot. Tiger Woods doesn't coke from the ghetto or streets, why should he have to give back to it in any way? When Nas starts giving money to farm aid, then I'll want Tiger Woods tom give money to Queensbridge. Nas is no "hero" himself. He's just another idiot with opinions he doesn't think too much about, because if he did think about them he'd realize it isn't his place to call people out like that for no reason.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he just speakin some real shit that i feel and i'm sure alot of hood niggas feel....but yea his album is classic hip hop...

SHEMAR MOORE SAID I'M DOIN THE CRIP WALK....I SHOULDA SMEARED OFF HIS LIP GLOSS

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 11:27:10 AM »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he just speakin some real shit that i feel and i'm sure alot of hood niggas feel....but yea his album is classic hip hop...

My opinion is that he sounds stupid saying it. His opinion is that those people aren't as "black" as they're supposed to be. It's racist and it's slander. If a guy like Timberlake were to say the same thing he'd be ostracized. Just because a black guy from he streets says it doesn't make it right. If I could choose between being Tiger Woods or some loser thug on the streets, I'd pick Tiger every time. Even if Tiger was broke. I'm not saying I look up to Tiger Woods, but look way down on the streets, and I'm not saying this from the outside. I grew up on the streets and still live in them, I just choose my actions wisely and refuse to lower myself to Satan's level. AND I DO NOT PURPOSELY SPEAK LIKE I'M LESS EDUCATED THAN I REALLY AM JUST TO FIT IN.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 07:22:13 PM »
"You can't do better than that?/ The hotel clerk who adjusts the bathroom mat?"

lmao
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 09:11:40 PM »
Nas is a bitch, always has been a bitch, always will be a bitch.  He doesn't like to see blacks succeed that dont' look and act like him, and if you'll notice a common theme in his dissing here is black men that are with white women.  He's a racist bastard, and he can suck a white dick. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »
Nas is a bitch, always has been a bitch, always will be a bitch.  He doesn't like to see blacks succeed that dont' look and act like him, and if you'll notice a common theme in his dissing here is black men that are with white women.  He's a racist bastard, and he can suck a white dick. 

To know the problems with black men and white women through history and act like it's all over is ignorence in your part. Now, when I was going out with black girls, I heard so much about it, it's unreal. Black women and white men have a huge problem with white women and black men. Why is that, well, black women will argue that once a black man does well, he ignores his black women and gets a white man. Now, some black men who are with black women feel it's their need to pick up this fight. If a black woman was on this board, they'd tell you many things about this topic. It's a very talk about topic, so why not put it in the public. Let's talk about it. Let's not ignore facts and public opinion, lets not just say someone is racist for putting a very controversal topic in the light.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 09:46:56 PM »
Man, Shut the fuck up.  First, you're Not Black.  Also, you're not White.  So you're the last motherfucker I'm gonna take their opinion on this.  Dissing black men that date white women... is RACIST, period, and Nas is a bitch for it (and tons of other things). 

pappy

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 09:49:48 PM »

dont see how he is racist where even at his concert he was giving props to all the white people that support him.

pappy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 09:54:48 PM »
the reason so many black men are with white woman is b/c it dont get much easier than picking up a white broad.

dray

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 10:23:47 PM »
i'm tired of people saying that when a black man becomes successful that he automatically gets himself a white woman. thats bullshit!!!!! yes, there are brothers out there that do that but not the majority. and as far as nas saying what he said in the song "coon picnic", everything he said is true. he's not rascist for stating his opinion about "uncle tom" black entertainers and the white media. in the song he's saying how alot of our entertainers don't say and do things that can spark change within our communities. they have a voice that can be heard moreso than the "average" person. instead they "coon" and stay silent to things that affect our communities while making millions.

Doggystylin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 10:34:58 PM »
i used to have respect for nas, but hes really makin himself look like an asshole,no reason for nas to go at kobe tiger or taye, nas is a hater and a hypocrite, JIGGA>NAS

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 03:41:16 AM »
i agree with trauma and shallow.. how can u diss a person for now being black enough.. is there a black-o-meter, nas is a 10, and if ur not above a 7 your bad.. btw

Why is that, well, black women will argue that once a black man does well, he ignores his black women and gets a white man.
???

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 04:08:52 PM »
Man, Shut the fuck up.  First, you're Not Black.  Also, you're not White.  So you're the last motherfucker I'm gonna take their opinion on this.  Dissing black men that date white women... is RACIST, period, and Nas is a bitch for it (and tons of other things). 

As I said, if you hang out with black women, you'll hear a lot of what Nas is talking about. I am sure he hears it. Why not put it in a song. Music is expression, and if it's a topic that'll bring up EDUCATED conversation, then why not. Why not put it out there.

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 04:19:28 PM »
I speak good english and like women other than black women....awwww shit I guess I'm a coon too then lol.

Whatever, Nas got his own opinion, I don't hate him for what he says, at least he says it like a man.

It sounded like a lot of jealousy in the song as well since he attack sucessful actors like Taye Dogg and Cuba Gooding, while he still hasn't gotten over that flop Belly.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE