Author Topic: Nas Sparks Controversy w/ 'Coon Picnic' Song  (Read 1715 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Nas Sparks Controversy w/ 'Coon Picnic' Song
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 06:04:32 PM »
I speak good english and like women other than black women....awwww shit I guess I'm a coon too then lol.

Whatever, Nas got his own opinion, I don't hate him for what he says, at least he says it like a man.

It sounded like a lot of jealousy in the song as well since he attack sucessful actors like Taye Dogg and Cuba Gooding, while he still hasn't gotten over that flop Belly.

It's not the opinions that bother me. I can deal with ignorant racists and have no problems with their stupid opinions. It's the ones that claim to be against it like Nas does and then pull shit like this. It's not only in his songs, he's an idiot in interviews too. I mean he claims this holier than thou role and he just looks so stupid when he comes out like this. What bothers me even more is when Nas fans pay attention to shit like this just because it's Nas, and really have to think about it. If Bill O'Reily called well spoken black men with non black women "coons", all these Nas fans would call him the devil. But it's okay when Nas says it. ::)

Sikotic™

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 06:09:55 PM »
I speak good english and like women other than black women....awwww shit I guess I'm a coon too then lol.

Whatever, Nas got his own opinion, I don't hate him for what he says, at least he says it like a man.

It sounded like a lot of jealousy in the song as well since he attack sucessful actors like Taye Dogg and Cuba Gooding, while he still hasn't gotten over that flop Belly.

It's not the opinions that bother me. I can deal with ignorant racists and have no problems with their stupid opinions. It's the ones that claim to be against it like Nas does and then pull shit like this. It's not only in his songs, he's an idiot in interviews too. I mean he claims this holier than thou role and he just looks so stupid when he comes out like this. What bothers me even more is when Nas fans pay attention to shit like this just because it's Nas, and really have to think about it. If Bill O'Reily called well spoken black men with non black women "coons", all these Nas fans would call him the devil. But it's okay when Nas says it. ::)

Word,  I feel ya man. It's a fucked up double standard.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 06:20:34 PM »

I ain't really agreeing with the song. After all, I dated black women, I am actually a huge fan of Kobe Bryant, and etc. But I will say it's a topic talked about widely in the black communities. Hanging around black people, I hear it a lot, and I mean a lot. Black women talking about how white women take their men, black men trying to prove they are pro black by dissing those that date white women. It's funny, because in college, all the black men saying they'd only have a black girl, all of them were with white women. 2Pac was talking about the same thing in 1993, dissing Quincy Jones for marrying a white women and having fucked up mixed babies. Then 2Pac dated one of his daughters. The topic is old as fuck, Nas is just the lastest to talk about it. It doesn't make him racist, it doesn't make it controversial in my opinion because it's talked about everyday in colleges, in high schools. It's something that has to be brought out in the open, and talked about so that we can finally, after 139 years after slavery ended, after many black men were killed for just looking at white women, after Jack Johnson was arrested for traveling with his white wife and stripped of his heavyweight title for no reason, after all of the shit that's happened just for white women and black men falling in love, we need to end the conversation and move on. If this is the song to finally talk about it, great. I say release it as a single, though it might kill Nas's career, if his willing to do the song, he should be willing to pay the price. I say lets talk about it, lets clear all the air. This black men white women thing has been going on for too long not being accepted. After all this time, we need conversation, not dumb people saying others are racist.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 06:30:43 PM »

I ain't really agreeing with the song. After all, I dated black women, I am actually a huge fan of Kobe Bryant, and etc. But I will say it's a topic talked about widely in the black communities. Hanging around black people, I hear it a lot, and I mean a lot. Black women talking about how white women take their men, black men trying to prove they are pro black by dissing those that date white women. It's funny, because in college, all the black men saying they'd only have a black girl, all of them were with white women. 2Pac was talking about the same thing in 1993, dissing Quincy Jones for marrying a white women and having fucked up mixed babies. Then 2Pac dated one of his daughters. The topic is old as fuck, Nas is just the lastest to talk about it. It doesn't make him racist, it doesn't make it controversial in my opinion because it's talked about everyday in colleges, in high schools. It's something that has to be brought out in the open, and talked about so that we can finally, after 139 years after slavery ended, after many black men were killed for just looking at white women, after Jack Johnson was arrested for traveling with his white wife and stripped of his heavyweight title for no reason, after all of the shit that's happened just for white women and black men falling in love, we need to end the conversation and move on. If this is the song to finally talk about it, great. I say release it as a single, though it might kill Nas's career, if his willing to do the song, he should be willing to pay the price. I say lets talk about it, lets clear all the air. This black men white women thing has been going on for too long not being accepted. After all this time, we need conversation, not dumb people saying others are racist.

Like I said, it's not the idea that bothers me. It's the fact that Nas claims to be above petty racism, and then he tears down all these black guys for not being "black" enough. Obviously interracial sex is an issue, but Nas doesn't address the issue as much as he insults these young men for having different tastes than he does. If Kobe wants to have sex with white women then that's his business, if Tiger Woods wants to speak proper english then that's his business. Nas is an idiot for trying to come off as Jesus, and then passing blame like Judas. Now you see, if he titled his album "Iscariot", then this would make sense, but he has many times in the past couple years associated himself as a Jesus type, and he is hardly showing it.

If he wanted to a dress the issue he could have done so in a story song or concept song. He shows me nothing to assume that it isn't really him saying these words.

Sikotic™

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 06:41:15 PM »
Just it being an issue makes me sick. I just wish people would drop it and live with harmony.

There I go again, dreaming...

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 08:16:49 PM »
Exactly, who gives a shit.  Date who you want to date, talk how you want to talk.  People like NAS, who make an issue out of it, are the ones that perpetuate racism like this. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 08:19:24 PM »

M Dogg, seriously, I'm starting to doubt your intelligence... you blast me for saying he's racist, but yet 'conversation' I guess, to you, is to call those that have different culture than you "coons" ?  Who's the fucking bigot? I'm a white man, and I don't have a problem with black guys dating white women... NAS does, though! Why? because he's a fuckin' racist.  Isn't 'not wanting black men to fuck white women' at the heart of racism, anyways? Believe me, that is the fundamental issue behind racism, and here NAS is supporting it. 

BTW, I got a newsflash, he's the fucking Coon out of everyone he named. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 08:49:46 AM »
Do you want me to break it down to you how this topic is important in the black, and yes even in the Latin community. I know for you, you can't imagine this problem. Why, because you are a white man, you don't have to care about issues in minority communities, so to you it's not important. Let me break it down for you.

Minorities and their dealing with the white race. We start with the black man white woman thing. For years and years, black men have struggle in trying to fit into American society. The one person that stood next to the black man is the black woman. No matter what, black women want a good black man. Black men have historically struggled, been out of work, and basically find it hard to support their families. Now, there are exceptions. As far as you look back, there have been black men that have made it, that have become successful in United States history. And traditionally, once they make it, they go with white women. This rubs black women wrong, and other black men who are "pro-black". The question becomes, why is it that once that man is able to make it, why does he leave the black race. But if he was still struggling, he'd turn to a black woman. It's a big deal to people in the black race. And as a Latino, I can relate.

In Latin American, the color of your skin is a sign of class. The lighter your skin, the higher class you are. Skin is a way to judge how much money you have. If your a dark skin person, good luck finding someone wanting to marry. Even in the United States, a really pretty Latina will find a white man to marry, and in her head she has traded up from lowly Latin's to the better white man. With our men, once we can prove we are successful, we then find white women. Even pro La Raza (the race) Edward James Omos is now married to a white woman.

Minorities get mad at the other minorities wanting to be like the white people. I mean, we are struggling trying to make it, and here are other minorities selling out once they make it. Is it right, is it wrong. Personally, I was one of the few in my college that said I would date a white girl, hell I've dated white girls, black girls, Latinas of course, and even Asian girls. Personally, I don't really care who you love. But the issue is still in the minority communities. You, not being a minority cannot understand, because these are issues we have to deal with ourselves. Nas making a song, right or wrong, is good to finally put everything public, and hopefully we can move on. 2Pac did the same thing in his Source interview, talking about all kinds of shit like that. Nas and 2Pac are from the era of rappers, the ones that shortly followed Public Enemy and KRS-One. So it should be as no surprise that they have these believes, and I think it's time to clear all the air. It's time for everything to be put in the table. You think I'm encouraging racism, but you've never interracial dated, you never caught heat for it. Hell, even my own mother said I can't white girls. My dad laughed when I was just talking to a white girl. You know, it's not exactly something I agree with, since I've been on the Kobe side of this conversation. But then again, you'd never know there's an issue, because you don't have to know. I've known forever and a day, from both sides. It's time to finally get all this out the way.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2004, 10:44:16 AM »
Do you want me to break it down to you how this topic is important in the black, and yes even in the Latin community. I know for you, you can't imagine this problem. Why, because you are a white man, you don't have to care about issues in minority communities, so to you it's not important. Let me break it down for you.

Minorities and their dealing with the white race. We start with the black man white woman thing. For years and years, black men have struggle in trying to fit into American society. The one person that stood next to the black man is the black woman. No matter what, black women want a good black man. Black men have historically struggled, been out of work, and basically find it hard to support their families. Now, there are exceptions. As far as you look back, there have been black men that have made it, that have become successful in United States history. And traditionally, once they make it, they go with white women. This rubs black women wrong, and other black men who are "pro-black". The question becomes, why is it that once that man is able to make it, why does he leave the black race. But if he was still struggling, he'd turn to a black woman. It's a big deal to people in the black race. And as a Latino, I can relate.

In Latin American, the color of your skin is a sign of class. The lighter your skin, the higher class you are. Skin is a way to judge how much money you have. If your a dark skin person, good luck finding someone wanting to marry. Even in the United States, a really pretty Latina will find a white man to marry, and in her head she has traded up from lowly Latin's to the better white man. With our men, once we can prove we are successful, we then find white women. Even pro La Raza (the race) Edward James Omos is now married to a white woman.

Minorities get mad at the other minorities wanting to be like the white people. I mean, we are struggling trying to make it, and here are other minorities selling out once they make it. Is it right, is it wrong. Personally, I was one of the few in my college that said I would date a white girl, hell I've dated white girls, black girls, Latinas of course, and even Asian girls. Personally, I don't really care who you love. But the issue is still in the minority communities. You, not being a minority cannot understand, because these are issues we have to deal with ourselves. Nas making a song, right or wrong, is good to finally put everything public, and hopefully we can move on. 2Pac did the same thing in his Source interview, talking about all kinds of shit like that. Nas and 2Pac are from the era of rappers, the ones that shortly followed Public Enemy and KRS-One. So it should be as no surprise that they have these believes, and I think it's time to clear all the air. It's time for everything to be put in the table. You think I'm encouraging racism, but you've never interracial dated, you never caught heat for it. Hell, even my own mother said I can't white girls. My dad laughed when I was just talking to a white girl. You know, it's not exactly something I agree with, since I've been on the Kobe side of this conversation. But then again, you'd never know there's an issue, because you don't have to know. I've known forever and a day, from both sides. It's time to finally get all this out the way.

I disagree with your claim that black women stood by the black men while the black men take white women after they become successful. Now you could make an argument that there have been a large portion of very successful black men who chose white women. There have not been enough successful black women to make the comparison. Who's to say that black women wouldn't choose white men once they make it big. The whole thing is simple ignorance, but it is commonplace in society. Nas of all people should be able to rise above it. He doesn't have to lower himself to a racist simply to show how it is. He doesn't even portray that way. This songs comes off as a racist Nas hating on successful black men for not being thugs, not as a song about racism towards interracial relationships. Download "Brother Louie" by the band Stories. They portray it much better than Nas.

THA ONE*

• 'G'
  • WELL KNOWN IN THE HOOD LIKE THE DOPE MAN PHONE #
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2004, 12:39:02 PM »
have any of yall actually heard the record?

SHEMAR MOORE SAID I'M DOIN THE CRIP WALK....I SHOULDA SMEARED OFF HIS LIP GLOSS

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »
have any of yall actually heard the record?

Yes I have, and it doesn't sound so insulting at first, but it becomes apparant after a few listens, that he's sarcastically praising these people. If I'm wrong and Nas comes out and says he really was prasing Tiger and Cuba tec, then I'll be the first to apologize.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 01:29:57 PM »
And you know what really bugs me? When Nas uses blatant lies to help his point of racism across. He goes "whatever happenned to Weezy, the Redd Foxxes? Never got Emmys but where real to me." Redd Foxx was nominated 4 times, and Isabel Sanford (Weezy) won in '81. The guy doesn't even put an effort in his information. He could at least have found black people that were ignored by the Emmys. I can't believe I used to think this guy was smart. I mean shit, these pro black morons need to get realistic. Of course there's going to be more white people at the top. It's because there's more white people. It's a fucking ratio. White people consist of 70% of Americans. Blacks are only like 12%. So obviously there's going to be less blacks. Hispanics have recently beat out blacks as leading minority. Why don't they complain as much. Keep in mind that out of the 70% of white people, 68 of them lived like shit during slave times anyway. And still don't live it up.

SGV

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 01:36:25 PM »
LOL @ Shallow all upset. Nas did his job with this track, he got you this uppity.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 01:53:12 PM »
LOL @ Shallow all upset. Nas did his job with this track, he got you this uppity.

Actually I've been mad since "I Can" came out. I've never gotten over it.

Sikotic™

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 01:59:31 PM »
Now y'all are complication a somewhat simple issue.

THA SAUCE HOUSE