Author Topic: Hip-hop is fucked up right now....................  (Read 560 times)

teecee

Hip-hop is fucked up right now....................
« on: September 07, 2002, 06:56:28 AM »
Here's why:

1. Too many guests
2.  Uncreative choruses
3. Nobody is experimenting (likely because they will get dropped by their label)

Everyone, at least in commercial rap, is using the same damn formula to sell a record.  On the westcoast, you just get NAte Dogg to sing the hook and get Dre (or a soundalike) to do the beat, and you gotta single.   Don't get me wrong, i love Dre and Nate, but it is overkill right now.  Everywhere else, The Neptunes come through (they are now branching to the westcoast)...

CHORUSES on songs are so shitty nowadays, no creativity.  Every westcoast album has Kokane, Butch Cassidy, and Nate doing choruses (recently, Shade Sheist and WC are using this formula).   I like all 3 of those singers, but i don't even care when they are featured on songs anymore cuz i heard them on last weeks new single...

I mean, Nate is still the best in the game, but he has lost some of his appeal mainly cuz he is everywhere.  His appearances on The Chronic ,Doggystyle, and Reggulate left us fiendin for more.  He sounded so fresh and different, it was impossible not to like him...

I don't blame Dre (or Storch), or Neptunes, or Kokane or anybody, cuz they wanna get money.  Nate could pump out a million tight hooks, and the Neptunes could make a million songs for the clubs, but when is enough ENOUGH?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Hip-hop is fucked up right now................
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 07:43:54 AM »
Never.. cuz they wants to make money.. The Nate Dogg Formula will always work in my opinion cuz he always tries somethin different

PLANT

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 07:47:24 AM »
Yea, I agree 100%.  We all need to hear something fresh and innovative with some new conecpts and sound.  HipHop in general right about now is getting played out.

Zero4eva

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 07:59:45 AM »
Here's why:

1. Too many guests
2.  Uncreative choruses
3. Nobody is experimenting (likely because they will get dropped by their label)

Everyone, at least in commercial rap, is using the same damn formula to sell a record.  On the westcoast, you just get NAte Dogg to sing the hook and get Dre (or a soundalike) to do the beat, and you gotta single.   Don't get me wrong, i love Dre and Nate, but it is overkill right now.  Everywhere else, The Neptunes come through (they are now branching to the westcoast)...

CHORUSES on songs are so shitty nowadays, no creativity.  Every westcoast album has Kokane, Butch Cassidy, and Nate doing choruses (recently, Shade Sheist and WC are using this formula).   I like all 3 of those singers, but i don't even care when they are featured on songs anymore cuz i heard them on last weeks new single...

I mean, Nate is still the best in the game, but he has lost some of his appeal mainly cuz he is everywhere.  His appearances on The Chronic ,Doggystyle, and Reggulate left us fiendin for more.  He sounded so fresh and different, it was impossible not to like him...

I don't blame Dre (or Storch), or Neptunes, or Kokane or anybody, cuz they wanna get money.  Nate could pump out a million tight hooks, and the Neptunes could make a million songs for the clubs, but when is enough ENOUGH?

HipHop ain't fucked up right now. It depends on what kind of hiphop you're used to listening. I don't limit myself to US HipHop only. IMO French HipHop is much better than the latest stuff from the US, so I don't care whether someone's usin a formula or not, it doesn't bother me.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 11:51:52 AM »
agreed

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2002, 10:36:33 PM »
Here's why:

1. Too many guests
2.  Uncreative choruses

Word man, its getting too repetitive. That's why I have branched out into other types of music.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2002, 12:58:45 AM »
The problem with rap nowadays is its TOO commercial. Artists are doing it for the buck now, not the artform. Its become very one-dimensional and repetitive, and it seems were only getting about 5 or 6 good albums per year now. Thats how its been for the last 2-3 years......97' is where it started going downhill, but its at an all-time worst right now. We havent had ONE classic come out this year yet. But then again, I dont like to call albums classics until they are at least a year old......but still. The last hip hop album to come out that I can call a GENUINE classic was Aquemini.......
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2002, 01:02:31 AM »
Here's why:

1. Too many guests
2.  Uncreative choruses

U really got a point, but what I say to everybody who claims hiphop was fucked up becuz of some wack and repetitive commercial shit is that there is so much shit to listen to that u can actually never say hiphop is fucked up cuz u never even get to listen to enuff MC's to just judge it. I mostly listen to US hiphop but I recently heard sum dope spanish shit (El Disop) and I don't really know much about European rap. Just don't reduce "hiphop" to what gets airplay (or is supposed to)

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2002, 03:24:34 AM »
I personally don't think Nate has anything to do with the current state of commercial hip-hop, he's NEVER dissapointed me, and I don't think hip-hop as a whole is fucked up either, you just have to look harder instead of waiting for it to come to you in the form of commercial hip-hop. There's tonnes of upcoming, new and fresh talent on the underground, and there's also groups and artists that have been around for some time that are still making dope music. Hip-hop is alot bigger than what the mainstream would have you believe, and with the internet it's so much easier to find new stuff now.

There's always the old classic albums to go back to anyways  ;)

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

verbalassaulta

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2002, 07:52:55 AM »
there are 2 huge problems that hip hop has that is destroying it and needs to get rid of....ja rule and nelly

teecee

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2002, 08:06:36 AM »
I know there is still dope underground stuff, and lots of dope xcommercial shit.  I don't even blame Nelly at all for this shit (at least he came out by himself with noone famous and brought a somewhat original, although terrible, style).......

I still love hiphop, but it is stale and boring as hell most of the time....

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2002, 09:13:35 AM »
there are 2 huge problems that hip hop has that is destroying it and needs to get rid of....ja rule and nelly

U can't simplify it like that. They're just hipPop's best representatives, but not that influential. I'd personally never say hiphop as a whole is fucked up but I know ALOT more points for those who do than Nelly and Ja Rule

HairWuzEre

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Timbaland
Listen to more underground hip hop.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2002, 10:27:03 PM »
it seems we're only getting about 5 or 6 good albums per year now. Thats how its been for the last 2-3 years
Actually, we've been getting a lot more than that, but I can definitely see your point.

S.G.V.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2002, 11:27:57 PM »
man people need to use lil hd more, levetti, lv, hollis(for hooks too)....they can rock hooks real good...if bo roc wasnt locked up hed be lacin us...i think the unknown producers need to come up...people need to give them chances...finnally theyre givin fingazz a chance....they need to bring buddah back....julio and tony g need to jump back into the game together again...king tech needs to start pumpin out more beats...hell we need dj khalil to be one of the wests and hip hops main producers...mike dean needs to get the recognition he deserves on a real national level....we need to see david banner come up and really put mississippi on the map...i want to see people like ayatollah be a household name...don juan needs to stop bullshittin and get back on track with techn9ne...kev should be the biggest midwest producer....i mean i could go on for days.....

Zero4eva

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2002, 11:35:14 PM »
Ayatollah? he's overrated.