Author Topic: What do you think is going to win album of the year this year? (Grammy)  (Read 151 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
My guess is Usher's album because it sold well and it's getting a lot of exposure. They're really pushing this guy. If Wilson's Smile is in the running then I could see them giving it to him for historical achievement. The Grammys often do that. They give an artist they've overlooked in the past an award years later, like they did with Dylan and Steely Dan.  I can't imagine anyother album getting the nod this year. What are your thoughts?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: What do you think is going to win album of the year this year? (Grammy)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 02:15:40 PM »
SMiLE without a doubt.  Its a mastepiece

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 04:29:19 PM »
Of course I believe SMiLE should get it, but I realistically think that Usher is going to win.  Of course, as I mentioned earlier, Brian is getting honored as MUSICARES person of the year the night before the grammy, and they're throwing a huge party and having a 2 hour concert to honor him with guest tributes and things..... so maybe!!!

Justified

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 04:30:27 PM »
LLOYD BANKS HUNGER FOR MORE SHOULD WIN THAT SHIT IS A CLASSIC  8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 04:32:32 PM by Justified »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 04:57:01 PM »
Of course I believe SMiLE should get it, but I realistically think that Usher is going to win.  Of course, as I mentioned earlier, Brian is getting honored as MUSICARES person of the year the night before the grammy, and they're throwing a huge party and having a 2 hour concert to honor him with guest tributes and things..... so maybe!!!

Of course the Grammys are notorious for not giving the album of the year to the ones that should win. I think Smile might win based on the fact that Wilson doesn't have a Grammy (as far as I know), and that in itself is shameful. Seems like the perfect time to give him one. It's not like Usher's album was better, but sales count for a lot in the Grammy award. It usually goes to an album that sells 3+ platinum. However there have been exceptions.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 06:03:53 PM »
Hmmm.  Isn't that what I just said, in a nutshell?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 06:08:50 PM »
Hmmm.  Isn't that what I just said, in a nutshell?

Yes it is. I was agreeing with you, but also adding that Brian may get it because he hasn't won one yet. I'm certain they'll give something; Producer of the Year (non classical), or Rock Album.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 10:49:15 PM »
You think he'll cry on the stage? LOL just for shits and giggles, here's Paul McCartney's Induction Speech for Brian when he welcomed him into the songwriters hall of fame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this cool or what? There's so many good vibes here. I just want to drink it all in.

I'm very honored to be here as a songwriter. I've always loved the fact that I am. Tonight, I'm even prouder. I think one of the things when you first write a song and it comes out of you, there's a magic moment when you just think 'Oh, yeah. Wow. That's it. I've done it.'

And so many people, the great writers and performers here tonight, know that moment. Another great moment is when you realize the effect it has on other people. I think a lot of the great writers here tonight have had people come up to them and say, "You saved my life, man." You know, "I was going thru college and it was hell, but I heard your stuff, you know."

I'd have a headache and I'd put on a certain record and (Paul makes a sound) no headache at the end of the record. And the person I'm going to honor, induct him into this great hall of fame tonight, has had that effect on me many times.

In the '60s particularly, he wrote some music, when I played it, it made me cry. And I don't quite know why. It wasn't necessarily the words or the music ... there was just something so deep in it that there's only certain pieces of music can do this to me. Just reaching right down in me and I think it's a sign of great genius to be able to do that with a bunch of words and a bunch of notes.

And I would take, in later years, I would take my kids aside, and say 'listen to this bit of music here.' And they would watch me crying, and they understand. They're at an age now where they're ready to cry at that stuff.

So there you go...that's why I'm here tonight...to honor this particular gentleman who I have so much respect for. I think, pesonally, he's one of your great American geniuses, so I feel honored as a fellow songwriter and as a fellow bass player...yo dude...just to be part of this whole thing.

You know, all the writers here, I just get thrilled and this man, he deserves to be in the hall of fame, that's for sure. So thank you, sir, for everything you've done for me, for making me cry, for having that 'thing' you can do with your music. You just put those notes and those harmonies together, stick a couple of words over the top of it and you've got me. Any day. Ladies and gentlemen, Brian Wilson.

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 02:21:48 PM »
2001 by dre because that shit still sounds fresh