Author Topic: McCain & Bush Very Concerned about Major League Baseball  (Read 137 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
McCain & Bush Very Concerned about Major League Baseball
« on: December 06, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
ASHINGTON, Dec. 5 - Senator John McCain said Sunday that President Bush was "very concerned" about the growing controversy over the use of performance-enhancing steroids in Major League Baseball.

McCain, Republican of Arizona, said he planned to introduce legislation "that requires some kind of regimen for the testing of Major League Baseball players" when the new Congress convenes in January.

"I think we can pass it through the Congress of the United States," he said.

In an interview on the "Fox News Sunday" television show, McCain said he discussed this with the president on Saturday at the Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia.

President Bush raised the issue of steroid use during his State of the Union address in January, and McCain said "there is no doubt that the president is deeply concerned about this."

Despite McCain's statements, there is no apparent groundswell of support in Congress to address the steroid issue. Congress will adjourn in a few days, and when it reconvenes in January, Senator Ted Stevens, Republican of Alaska, will take over chairmanship of the commerce committee from McCain. It is not clear that baseball's steroid problem will remain a pressing congressional issue then.

McCain said Congress had the right to pass laws in this area because "it's got to do with interstate commerce, so we do have a role to play."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/06/politics/06mccain.html?hp&ex=1102395600&en=9656a6f67cd992ab&ei=5094&partner=homepage

I'm sorry but this is the most worthless use of government energy I've heard of recently.  The president, and a well-respected John McCain are worried about MLB steriod use? What about being worried about a declining dollar, a failed iraqi war, poor job growth in recent months, and a list of other pressing concerns.  No McCain is concerned with MLB.  And the republican party is the party of "small government"?  Since when does government regulate Baseball?  Small government my ass... let's spend tax payer money regulating baseball, and then accuse democrats of letting the government control your life. 

McCain gets the looney politician of the week award for making MLB steriod use his most urgent concern.

Sikotic™

Re: McCain & Bush Very Concerned about Major League Baseball
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 01:26:23 PM »
Doesn't Bush own a MLB team?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

pappy

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »
Doesn't Bush own a MLB team?
he owned the texas rangers about 10-15 years ago.

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 07:52:13 PM »
scince bonds confessed partly to steroid use do you think that he deserveds to loose his record??

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 12:09:10 AM »
scince bonds confessed partly to steroid use do you think that he deserveds to loose his record??

* next to all the stats he put up after 1999