Author Topic: Cam'ron Leaves Def Jam/ The Roc  (Read 276 times)

BIG.DADDY

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • back da fuck up before you get smacked the fuck up
Cam'ron Leaves Def Jam/ The Roc
« on: December 11, 2004, 06:41:49 PM »
Cam’ron, the Harlem-based rapper, has departed Island Def Jam after the sale of Roc-A-Fella Records was made final and Jay-Z was appointed president of the label.

The rapper recently made the announcement on New York Radio revealing that LA Reid, the current head of Island Def Jam, granted the Diplomat Records CEO a release from his contract. He’s delivered a pair of albums to Def Jam, but contractually owed three more.

Radio/ television personality Miss Info said that Cam’ron personally told her that he left the label and was looking for a new deal.

“Cam called me up for [Hot 97’s] "Celebrity Drama" and told me that he had met up with LA Reid, and man to man, they worked out an agreement for his release from Def Jam,” Info revealed to AllHipHop.com. “According to Cam, he didn't feel his project Purple Haze got the push that it deserved, and he was in the process of fielding other offers.”

A Roc-A-Fella source spoke under the condition on anonymity and offered an opinion on the matter. “I heard something about that but I don't really know if it's true or just talk. It makes sense though, doesn't it? I can't see Cam reporting to Jay like that,” the source said.

At press time Def Jam publicity had no formal comment and other source were not aware of the matter.

Jay-Z and Cam have had a less-than-familial relationship in the past. While they haven’t had beef in the traditional sense of Hip-Hop, they haven’t been friendly either, Cam said in previous interviews.

Still in a recent interview, the Dip Set rapper reiterated that there was no friction with Jay-Z, but still had a conversation with chairman LA Reid that would avoid him reporting directly to the new Def Jam president.

Last month Cam’ron told AllHipHop, “I have it written on [my renegotiated contract] that what he does, has nothing to do with my project. Well, I can say this: on LA’s behalf, that’s a very smart move getting Jay. He did a lot of things for the business, and accomplished a lot of over-achievements, and I don’t have a beef with him. We just don’t have a personal relationship, and at the end of the day I need people who I working with to have that kind of relationship with me. And I don’t think me and Jay will have that.”

Cam recently released Purple Haze, his fourth solo album, on Dec. 7 and also a group effort with the Diplomats on Koch. Co-CEO Jim Jones also released a solo album via Koch earlier this year and both have suggested that the independent deal is more profitable business-wise.

Cam’ron is among Roc-A-Fella’s elite, being one of the only artists to go platinum like Jay-Z, DJ Clue and Kanye West. He joined in 2001 and his subsequent album, Come How With Me was certified platinum.

Cam made a similar flight away from Epic Record, who delivered his Confessions Of Fire and S.D.E. [Sex, Drugs and Entertainment] after he was unhappy with his sales at the time of his exit.

In related news, Dame Dash is in the process of starting a new label deal called Roc4Life. Dash hasn’t revealed a home for the new venture.

source. allhiphop.com

Sikotic™

Re: Cam'ron Leaves Def Jam/ The Roc
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 07:10:10 PM »
I smell dissention.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 07:47:23 PM »
aperently the roc is falling apart, cam leaving, dipset leaving, dame starting his own label

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 09:58:21 PM »
aperently the roc is falling apart, cam leaving, dipset leaving, dame starting his own label

cam and dipset leaving..wow..there goes the internet fans :-\
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 10:13:58 PM »
^Like it or not, Cam'ron is a platinum rapper so that is a lost. And he's like the only artist besides Jay-Z to go plat on the Roc.

Jay-Z - gone
Cam'ron (Dipset) - gone
Just Blaze - gone

Memphis Bleek - never gone sell
DJ Clue - not fuckin with the Roc these days
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

We Fly High

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 10:24:42 PM »
ODB dead too, another artist off the roc.

Theodore

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 12:40:33 AM »
yeah, but he'll do good saleswise

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 06:28:56 AM »
yeah, but he'll do good saleswise
who cam, odb, dame?

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 08:09:33 AM »
cam goes to g-unit records? ;D

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 08:16:17 AM »
cam goes to g-unit records? ;D
probably not even though dip set is real cool with game

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 08:22:38 AM »
"live life fast like la speed, try to do bussiness with a faggot la reid"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 08:39:08 AM by smartass »
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Westside Soldier

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 06:16:35 PM »
Big Loss for rocafella. 8)

davida.b.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 10:04:33 PM »
Yeah, all they got left now are

Beanie Sigel
Young Gunz
M.O.P. (but not for long)
Rell
Memphis Bleek
State Property
Noreaga

That's not a whole lot. Although that ODB album recorded for Roc A Fella is going to be released.

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 01:58:53 PM »
Yeah, all they got left now are

Beanie Sigel
Young Gunz
M.O.P. (but not for long)
Rell
Memphis Bleek
State Property
Noreaga

That's not a whole lot. Although that ODB album recorded for Roc A Fella is going to be released.
dont they got kanye