Author Topic: What about the nearly 10,000 wounded?  (Read 175 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What about the nearly 10,000 wounded?
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:49:16 PM »
Sometimes it seems as if your only counted if you die in combat, and while 1,200 American soldiers have died in Iraq, close to 10,000 have been seriously wounded.  To get a better idea of the types of injuries these soldiers have sustained take a look at the link below:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/24/2476

It's convenient to talk about war when your sitting here stateside, but if we continue at this pace for another year we could easily have 2000 dead and 20,000 wounded sitting in hospitals, costing millions of tax dollars, and having their lives forever altered for the worse.  It may serve the American ego to hear how America kicked Iraq's ass, but when over 10,000 men and women with permanent injuries, many missing arms, legs, hands, or feet, look back on their service in the Iraqi war will it have been worth it to them?

And while we know for certain that 10,000 american soldiers have been injured we should not neglect that a minimum of 15,000 iraqi civilians have died by our own governments count, while others estimate the actual number of civilian casualties to approximate 100,000.  How many tens of thousands of Iraqis have suffered a fate similiar to these 10,000 injured Americans?  These people do not have access to the same treatment facilities we have.  They do not have the U.S. government buying them replacement limbs.  Many of them no longer have homes to live in.  A decade from now hundreds of thousands of Iraqis will remeber their liberation and at the same time recall the loved one they lost, or their cousin, spouse, or child who remains crippled with a life altering injury from a war that was not of their choice.  At what point will these people say to themselves this war was worth it?

To those of you who have supported this war, and have supported the administration's management of the war, perhaps you will never let go of your support, but is it so difficult to understand the opposing side?  I supported the war because I believed we would bring prosperity and the American way of life to another part of the world.  Instead we brought death and chaos, and when all is said and done we will have left hundreds of thousands severly injured, tens of thousands dead, and many more homeless and in doing so we have not only been unable to bring the American way of life to the middle east, but we have shattered a once revered vision of America in the eyes of its own citizens and in the eyes of the rest of the world. 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 02:50:53 PM by Ant »

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: What about the nearly 10,000 wounded?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 06:33:50 PM »
I supported the war because I believed we would bring prosperity and the American way of life to another part of the world.  Instead we brought death and chaos, and when all is said and done we will have left hundreds of thousands severly injured, tens of thousands dead, and many more homeless and in doing so we have not only been unable to bring the American way of life to the middle east, but we have shattered a once revered vision of America in the eyes of its own citizens and in the eyes of the rest of the world. 

nice post

i support the war but you have to remember it is a war. war is people killing other people untill one side gives. the vietnam war lasted sevaral years and alot more people died. also people overseas already have a distorted view of america.

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:59:11 PM »
I don't support it and find ti a damn shame that people are being maimed and fucked up mentally and physically because we gotta police the world.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:04:20 PM »
It sucks people are getting hurt, but if they didn't want to risk getting hurt, they shouldn't have joined the military.  End of Dis-Cuss-Sionnn

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 09:35:50 PM »
It sucks people are getting hurt, but if they didn't want to risk getting hurt, they shouldn't have joined the military.  End of Dis-Cuss-Sionnn

And the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have either died, been severly injured, or lost their homes during a war that was not of their choice?  What of them? 

Lines like 'end of discussion" are not necessary if your post truly ended the debate.  You didn't end the discussion, you ignored it entirely. 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 09:40:11 PM by Ant »

tommyilromano

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:41:57 PM »

And the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have either died, been severly injured, or lost their homes during a war that was not of their choice?  What of them? 

Fuck em.. sorry but thats just how it goes. I am a soldier and although I am not going to Iraq (Turkey till May 2007 yeeeaaaahh  ;D) it just ife. Iraq will eventually be better off then they were under Saddam. Is that the reason the U.S. went there... probably not but it will be a positive that comes from all this.

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 09:45:09 PM »

Fuck em.. sorry but thats just how it goes. I am a soldier and although I am not going to Iraq (Turkey till May 2007 yeeeaaaahh  ;D) it just ife. Iraq will eventually be better off then they were under Saddam. Is that the reason the U.S. went there... probably not but it will be a positive that comes from all this.

You're a moron
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 09:47:43 PM »

Is it right to decide what's best for other people?  If so, then how do we choose who should decide what is best, and what isn't? 

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 10:12:46 PM »

LOL @ Fuck em

So America comes and drops a bomb on your home and kills your family, you're going to say, "Awww shit, thats just how it goes, that's life." Unless you have no emotional attachment to them, I find that really hard to believe.

My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 03:30:15 AM »

Fuck em.. sorry but thats just how it goes.

Would you say the same thing if it was your loved ones dying? People have no fuckin morals these days.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 06:35:51 AM »

Lines like 'end of discussion" are not necessary if your post truly ended the debate.  You didn't end the discussion, you ignored it entirely. 

he's the  master of repressing, don't you know already?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin