Author Topic: time travel  (Read 1171 times)

Trauma-san

Re: time travel
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 08:08:24 PM »
No, Einstein DID prove it's possible to travel through time.  It's really quite simple, Einstein's theory of relativity shows that if you were in a vehicle moving faster than the speed of light, then you would at least APPEAR to travel through time.  This also holds true for ideas about 'invisibility' or whatever, same concept.  So yes, time travel is possible... Einstein proved it as a simple concept, expounded upon, Time Travel as we imagine in sci-fi flicks would be equally possible. 

For instance, say the speed of light is 1 mile per hour.  You start at one end of a football field, and someone's standing in the end zone watching you.  Now, you move at 2 miles per hour, to the other end of the football field.  You arrive at the other end of the football field, twice as fast as light can move... that means that the person standing in the endzone, doesn't see you at the opposite end of the football field yet, even though you're there... that person sees you in the middle of the football field.  Why? Because since you were going twice as fast as the speed of light, you're twice as far as the light of you has reached the observer's retinas.  So, he sees you at the middle of the field, while you are in reality, in the FUTURE, at the end of the field.  He'll see you there, in a bit, even though you're already there.  Not only are you in the future, at the end of the field, you are invisible.  So, to the observer, you are a traveler of time, you're already in the future, even though he still sees you in the present.  Now, imagine you moved at 1000 miles an hour, to the end of the field.  He would still see you in the end zone, when in reality you've moved all the way across the field to the endzone... he wouldn't even see you there, until 1000 units of time had passed by... meaning that all that while, you've been in the future, while he's been sitting here looking at the version of you represented by the lagging speed of light. 

It's a very simple concept, come on.  Break the light barrier, you travel through time. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 08:16:48 PM by Trauma »

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 08:12:39 PM »
Oh, and here's my little 'genius' addition to that (which Einstein himself may have figured out, he's certainly much better at stuff like this then me)... this whole theory apparently hints at the idea that time is somehow linked to the speed of light.  For instance, like above, if you see the person at the midpoint of the football field, that's your reality, and the TIME you are in, at the second... but in reality, the person has made it to the other end of the football field already, by breaking the speed of light.  That person is in the future, but to you, the person you still see at the 50 yard line is in the present... the person you see at the 50 yard line is a representation of the speed of light reaching your eyes... so we all exist, in the scope of time, at the speed of light.  That's why breaking the speed of light will allow time travel. 

rafsta

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 04:30:59 AM »
Here some on my theory.  I will use Gunther as my example.

so tommorrow Gunther figures out a way to travel back into time.  and he travels back 20 years into the past.  first off he would never be able to get back to his present time, because time travel will have never been created yet.  so if Gunther did create time travel and went into the past, he would never know that he created time travel, because it wouldn't exist yet.  And would his past self be there with him?  is it possible to have 2 of the identical person, but of different ages?  If you took a TV with you while you traveled 1000 years in the past, what would happen to the TV, because it had not been invented yet.

If Gunther travels too far into the future, would he automatically die because he is too old?  Would he also be in the present, if he traveled to the future? 

what if he did discover time travel, and did travel to the future.  so he travels 5 years into the future.  and he sees his friends 5 years older, and everything around him is 5 years older.  Like I said with the part of traveling into the past, would there be an identical him, just younger?  but the twist with the future is, there could be no identical him in the future, because he had already created time travel and traveled into the future, while in the present. (if you understand what I mean)  its pretty hard to explain, but that is why I believe you may be able to travel into the future, but not the past.

If you created time travel and just decided to travel 10 minutes into the past, would you forever spend the rest of your life in a vicious cycle of traveling back 10 minutes in time?  You create it, try it by going back 10 minutes to see if it works, go back 10 minutes before you tried it, so you don't know you tried it, so then you try it and go back 10 minutes, and so on.

its a trippy thing to think about.  It sure can boggle your mind when you are high.

they some good points mayn...

i think if you travel into the past or future you leave everything behind, you dont age ureself or anything, and i think if you do go into the past you do have a double... about the future would you disappear ? highly likely, but would that affect the outcome of the future ? say you go to the future but its a future without you, you go back to the present and say some predictions but they are different because now you are travelling with normal time... i hope that made sense.

rafsta

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 04:41:39 AM »
Oh, and here's my little 'genius' addition to that (which Einstein himself may have figured out, he's certainly much better at stuff like this then me)... this whole theory apparently hints at the idea that time is somehow linked to the speed of light.  For instance, like above, if you see the person at the midpoint of the football field, that's your reality, and the TIME you are in, at the second... but in reality, the person has made it to the other end of the football field already, by breaking the speed of light.  That person is in the future, but to you, the person you still see at the 50 yard line is in the present... the person you see at the 50 yard line is a representation of the speed of light reaching your eyes... so we all exist, in the scope of time, at the speed of light.  That's why breaking the speed of light will allow time travel. 

hmm intriguing....

BUT technically you havent really travelled through time, youre just travelin faster than the protons or wateva they are that carry light beams, in that time where you go to the end of the field you have aged the same amount of time as the other person, this is confusin shit, thats some good shit trauma...

i'd agree that goin at the speed of light you would appear to be goin thru time, but technically it doesnt make sense to me, because if you travel twice the speed of light into deep space, say youre gone 1year, you are travelling at 1000years per year but when you come back youve only been gone one year, even though you have travelled 1000years in space time it doesnt make sense to me that 1000yrs would have passed on earth just bcoz you are travelling real fast, youre only goin thru space, your body will age the same as everyone else on earth, one year unless you go through a wormhole that takes you to a parallel univers which appears to be eartghs furute or wateva...

i think a wormhole is the only way, but you never know mebe if you do break the speed of lite a wormhole is created... i just do not know...

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 05:48:11 AM »
No, Einstein DID prove it's possible to travel through time.  It's really quite simple, Einstein's theory of relativity shows that if you were in a vehicle moving faster than the speed of light, then you would at least APPEAR to travel through time.  This also holds true for ideas about 'invisibility' or whatever, same concept.  So yes, time travel is possible... Einstein proved it as a simple concept, expounded upon, Time Travel as we imagine in sci-fi flicks would be equally possible. 

For instance, say the speed of light is 1 mile per hour.  You start at one end of a football field, and someone's standing in the end zone watching you.  Now, you move at 2 miles per hour, to the other end of the football field.  You arrive at the other end of the football field, twice as fast as light can move... that means that the person standing in the endzone, doesn't see you at the opposite end of the football field yet, even though you're there... that person sees you in the middle of the football field.  Why? Because since you were going twice as fast as the speed of light, you're twice as far as the light of you has reached the observer's retinas.  So, he sees you at the middle of the field, while you are in reality, in the FUTURE, at the end of the field.  He'll see you there, in a bit, even though you're already there. Not only are you in the future, at the end of the field, you are invisible.  So, to the observer, you are a traveler of time, you're already in the future, even though he still sees you in the present.  Now, imagine you moved at 1000 miles an hour, to the end of the field. He would still see you in the end zone, when in reality you've moved all the way across the field to the endzone... he wouldn't even see you there, until 1000 units of time had passed by... meaning that all that while, you've been in the future, while he's been sitting here looking at the version of you represented by the lagging speed of light.

It's a very simple concept, come on.  Break the light barrier, you travel through time. 

Yeah thats a good example.
I'm not sure if it is possible to travel back into time, even if it is theoretically possible (wormholes, negative density etc), it is practically impossible.  I have read into a bunch of theories in my past, and in order to execute such theories, we will need to harness the energy of a galaxy, even more in some cases!  Anyone who has read up on time travel to the past has probably encountered the Grandfather paradox.  Which goes something like this, say you go back into time and kill your grandfather, preventing him and your grandmother to ever meet and ever conceive.  Then you would have never been born, so wait, then you could never have travelled back in time after all.  So did you travel back in time in the first place, or not?  I also think that Einstein didn't believe we could go back in time, but forward.

Moving forward in time has actually been proved though.  For instance astronauts can travel a few milliseconds into the future.  So when they come back to earth, they're actually a few milliseconds younger than their friends who stayed on earth.  This is obviously a very tiny difference, but that’s because how slow the astronaut was moving relative to the speed of light.  The point I’m trying to make though, is that it is possible.  I might post more on this later, kind of tired now.  Cool thread though.

-b[X]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 06:58:34 AM by bLaDe HeLi[X] »
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 06:36:51 AM »

hmm intriguing....

BUT technically you havent really travelled through time, youre just travelin faster than the protons or wateva they are that carry light beams, in that time where you go to the end of the field you have aged the same amount of time as the other person, this is confusin shit, thats some good shit trauma...

^ That's what I'm getting at, though... Time is relative to the person observing it, Everyone that WASN'T moving at the speed of light, would see you, but in reality, you'd be somewhere else... they'd see you there in the future, so to everyone (the entire world!) you would have traveled into the future.  Time itself is contingent upon the speed of light, it would seem by Einstein's theory of relativity. 

rafsta

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 06:39:24 AM »
i have

rafsta

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 06:40:51 AM »
yeh man i have a lil better understanding now, i found a website which relates to ure theory... this is the first page..

This section of the time travel web site has been designed for the "amateur" physicist. We will assume no previous knowledge of elementary physics. So, where do we start? How about time? What is time? The Oxford English Directionary defines time as "a limited stretch or space of continued existence, as the interval between two successive events".

We glance at our wristwatches and notice the second hand slowly counting the passing seconds. We are in our own time machines: Our hearts are pumping blood, we're breathing, we are existing through time (at least until our own personal time machines seriously malfunction).

What are the possibilities of moving through time at a rate different to one day per day? Common sense tells us that it's all nonsense - time travel is impossible. However, common sense is not always such a good guide. Some hundred years ago common sense said man could never fly, now we travel all over the world.

There are problems. The commonest are the so-called paradoxes. For example, if we could travel through time, imagine what would happen to a time traveller if he (or she) travelled back in time and killed his own grandmother at birth. In theory the time traveller will therefore never be born, so the journey could never have been made in the first place; but if the journey never occurred then the grandmother would be born which means the time traveller would have been born and could make the journey ... and so on and so on. This is a paradox.

There are two possibilities to resolve this paradox. The first is that the past is totally defined, i.e. everything that has happened or must happen, including the time traveler's attempt to kill his grandmother, cannot be altered and nothing will change the course of history. In other words, the time traveller will experience endless "mishaps" in trying to kill his grandmother and will never achieve the murder, thus keeping time (or at least events) intact.

The second possibility is more complex and involves the quantum rules which govern the subatomic level of the universe. Put simply, when the time traveller kills the grandmother he immediately creates a new quantum universe, in essence a parallel universe where the young grandmother never existed and where our time traveller is never born. The original universe still remains. Stephen hawking believes he can explain the origin of our universe in a variation of this parallel-worlds theme.

Having explained these paradoxes, how does one travel through time? The secret is to travel at speeds faster than the speed of light. The main text of the web site explains this in great detail. The obvious problem with traveling very near the speed of light is that as you approach C (the speed of light), time slows down until at C time stops. How can you go faster if time has stopped? The answer involves a complex process called quantum tunneling and is discussed at length in the main text of this web site.

Once the velocity becomes greater than C time moves backwards. We have entered into the realms of negative time.

this is the adress, its a well respected website about time travel....
http://freespace.virgin.net/steve.preston/time7.html

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 06:41:04 AM »
If it's possible, I'd go back 30 seconds and try and reclaim the time it took me to read this post.

lmao...

I think it is possible. Not Hollywood-Movie like, though. Read what Trauma said.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

rafsta

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 06:46:57 AM »
i just read that if utravel faster than the speed of light you go backwards in time, the only thing possible to do so is a black hole which has gravity so powerful it sucks up light...

rafsta

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 06:52:25 AM »
i disagree with the fact that you could get anywhere in the universe within 2 years... wouldnt places further away take longer even with the speed of light ? speed of light isnt infinite...

a lil thing i remembered is did u know that us lookin up into space we are looking into the past ? some of the stars we see today may not even exist because it takes so long for the light to travel from the star to the earth... though i might just chuck that in...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 06:57:11 AM »
yes, some of those "stars" don't even exist anymore, that's true. and time travel is possible, too. we're just not enough advanced in technology yet, that's about it. 100 years ago, people couldnt walk on the moon, did that mean that the moon didnt exist? no. just because it's not possible for us yet, doesnt mean it's pure fantasy.

but that movie-ish time-traveling is rubbish though. you won't able to re-take a test you failed due to time-traveling or something like that.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

rafsta

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 07:11:03 AM »
yes, some of those "stars" don't even exist anymore, that's true. and time travel is possible, too. we're just not enough advanced in technology yet, that's about it. 100 years ago, people couldnt walk on the moon, did that mean that the moon didnt exist? no. just because it's not possible for us yet, doesnt mean it's pure fantasy.

but that movie-ish time-traveling is rubbish though. you won't able to re-take a test you failed due to time-traveling or something like that.

read that website i posted up...

technically it would be possible the movie style travel, but if you go back and alter your test, then you create a new universe, you could never go back to the old, although nothing much would change.... the question is would you destroy the first univers ?

rafsta

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 07:13:32 AM »
could Jesus have been a time traveller ?

mauzip

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 07:16:14 AM »
jesus is a fantasy figure