Author Topic: Giant Fla. Sinkhole Swallows 4-Lane Road  (Read 76 times)

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Giant Fla. Sinkhole Swallows 4-Lane Road
« on: December 18, 2004, 05:36:24 PM »

DELTONA, Fla. - A growing sinkhole swallowed a four-lane road Saturday and forced the evacuation of 20 central Florida homes, officials said.

AP Photo

One house was in imminent danger of falling into the hole, said Robert Rogers, deputy chief of the Deltona Fire Department. The backyard swimming pool had cracked, the pool deck had separated from the house and there were cracks on the house's external walls. Firefighters drained the pool as a precaution.

The sinkhole was 50-feet deep and at least 150-feet wide, Rogers said.

"It has not stabilized yet, so I'm sure its going to get a lot bigger," Rogers said.

The sinkhole also threatened to take down a major power line, which was leaning at a 45-degree angle. Power was shut off to the line, leaving more than 2,000 residents in the dark.

Most of the 20 houses were evacuated because they were near power wires, Rogers said. Residents in all but three homes near the hole were expected to return Saturday night.

Volusia County officials had been watching the hole since Monday, when collapsed asphalt was noticed on Howland Boulevard near Deltona High School.

Workers were pumping a cement mixture under the damaged lane Saturday.

"All of the sudden they started feeling rumblings in the ground," Rogers said. The ground opened up, swallowing all four lanes.

Deltona is 25 miles southwest of Daytona Beach.

- All i have to say is god damn.

Suga Foot

Re: Giant Fla. Sinkhole Swallows 4-Lane Road
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 05:39:51 PM »
what's a sink hole?

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 06:08:22 PM »
Yeah..they say its bout the size of half of a football field.  I might drive up there tomorrow afternoon to peep it out.  It's a depression in the land that eats out the underground where eventually the surface caves in.  Think of it as a massive pothole.

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »

- All i have to say is god damn.
thats exactly what i said

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 06:57:22 PM »
cot dam man

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 07:00:15 PM »
Yeah..they say its bout the size of half of a football field.  I might drive up there tomorrow afternoon to peep it out.  It's a depression in the land that eats out the underground where eventually the surface caves in.  Think of it as a massive pothole.
hey take some pictures so we can see all angles if you can.

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 07:05:28 PM »
It's a hole, not an octagon ::)   ;D

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 07:10:54 PM »
It's a hole, not an octagon ::)   ;D
thers 360 degrees in a circle. the hole is shapped like a circle. iff you move around from the point the original picture was taken than you can create angles. its all about triangles.
plus you knew what the fuck i ment