Poll

When Was The Golden Era Of Hip-Hop?  What Year?  What Time Of Year?

Summer 1996
6 (24%)
Late 1980's
3 (12%)
6 (24%)
7 (28%)
now
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: When Was The Golden Era Of Hip-Hop? What Year? What Time Of Year?  (Read 371 times)

Inspire / Moss

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.DUBCNN.com
Re: When Was The Golden Era Of Hip-Hop? What Year? What Time Of Year?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 06:32:11 PM »
I say 93 up to 95.. everyone was in their best at those times..

~ Westcoast News Network ~

pappy

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 10:10:35 PM »
-Jay-Z was at his best.  Even people like me who hate Jay-Z, loved his first solo album that dropped that summer.

actually RD is a lot like illmatic in a sense.  It was heavily slept on when it first dropped an people didnt really start to appreaciate untill the rappers 2nd album.  But when Jay dropped in 96 he really didnt create that much buzz.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 10:35:23 PM »
Late 80's. Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, BDP, etc..

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

-VZA-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 10:39:29 PM »
i gotta go with 1994... that was around the time when wu-tang and outkast both came out.  wu hasn't been the same sense but outkast is still going strong.  to me they are the most innovative artists around so i think that has to be the golden era right there.
Ninja Babes - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NinjaBabes
like women who have abortions... i'm not havin' it.  ~canibus~
bust a nut inside your eye just to show you where i come from.  ~phife dawg~
like a man without no arms... you can't hang.  ~method man~
<--my future wifey

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 02:45:42 AM »
-96, pac, jay-z, snoop, that's it.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 04:09:44 AM »
92-95 for me, you can't name just one year in that time. So many classics dropped in that space of time, that it was almost untouchable. 87-88 runs it close, but I'd definitely pick 92-95. On the subject of 96, out of the people you mentioned only Jay Z and The Fugees dropped classics in 96, most of the other stuff coming out that year wasn't up to the level of the material the acts you mentioned had dropped between 92-95.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 06:48:27 AM »
lol smerlus, but then IMO 2004>2003. 's too bad for you if you judge hiphop going from a few mainstream albums. yes, fuck the new em, yes, fuck the new snoop. but we had masta ace, the roots, ghostface, murs, the nas is at least decent, we had royce, mos def (yes, good album), 213 was aight too....and that's still the comparatively popular artists, if i start mentioning shit like the koopsta knicca album there would be loads somebody could come up with.

something that i find funny: Does anybody know the track by DJ Shadow "Why HipHop Sucks In '96"? listen to the 'lyrics' lol...now '96 is called the golden era, back then people complained in the same way they do now. kinda shows how the past is always glorified

anyways, i do agree too that those were great years, my personal pick would be '95. The Infamous, and Cuban Linx dropped on the east coast, the west had albums like Season Of Da Siccness, Me Against The World and Dogg Food, in the south the so badly overlooked classic Soul Food dropped, Mystic Stylez was a great dark album...........but it's difficult, '94 and '96 were great too...and if i was more into old school stuff i'd prolly say '88

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2004, 07:27:57 AM »
92-96

it was the perfect mix of every type of rap... boom bap, g-funk, concious etc

damn, 96...back when the underground wasnt full of nerds and no talents.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 09:38:46 AM »
Late eighties without a doubt.

...plus much more.  None of those options is fucking with that.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 06:35:55 AM »
mobb deep hell on earth was also released. classic. ghostface killah with ironman too.

Yep! "Hell on Earth" is one of my type five hiphop albums of all time.

Thirteen

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 08:04:40 AM »
lol smerlus, but then IMO 2004>2003. 's too bad for you if you judge hiphop going from a few mainstream albums. yes, fuck the new em, yes, fuck the new snoop. but we had masta ace, the roots, ghostface, murs, the nas is at least decent, we had royce, mos def (yes, good album), 213 was aight too....and that's still the comparatively popular artists, if i start mentioning shit like the koopsta knicca album there would be loads somebody could come up with.

i know there are good underground albums but very few people listen to them...i judge hip hop by the mainstream because that's all people care about...start talking to a person just getting into rap these days and you will see some of the most biased opinions ever...everything else sucks but the shit on the radio to them...about 5% of the hip hop consumer probably knows who the people you listed are and that's pretty sad

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 08:50:48 AM »
about 5% of the hip hop consumer probably knows who the people you listed are and that's pretty sad

as for ace, royce and murs that be true going from the 'hiphop' consumer being the type of person who likes the new chingy, but might as well listen to britney spears or some boyband, in other words including everybody who isn't really 'into' hiphop, but occasionally listens to it. but even outta those people more than 5% will have heard of nas, the roots or mos def (whose last album was pretty big, commercially)