Author Topic: President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004  (Read 243 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004
« on: December 19, 2004, 07:52:36 AM »
President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004

40 minutes ago

By SAM DOLNICK, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - After winning re-election and "reshaping the rules of politics to fit his 10-gallon-hat leadership style," President George Bush (news - web sites) for the second time was chosen as Time magazine's Person of the Year.

The magazine's editors tapped Bush "for sharpening the debate until the choices bled, for reframing reality to match his design, for gambling his fortunes — and ours — on his faith in the power of leadership."

Time's 2004 Person of the Year package, on newsstands Monday, includes an Oval Office interview with Bush, an interview with his father, former President George H. W. Bush, and a profile of Bush's chief political adviser, Karl Rove.

In an interview with the magazine, Bush attributed his victory over Democratic candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) to his foreign policy and the wars he began in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Iraq (news - web sites).

"The election was about the use of American influence," Bush said.

After a grueling campaign, Bush remains a polarizing figure in America and around the world, and that's part of the reason he earned the magazine's honor, said Managing Editor Jim Kelly.

"Many, many Americans deeply wish he had not won," Kelly said in a telephone interview. "And yet he did."

In the Time article, Bush said he relishes that some people dislike him.

"I think the natural instinct for most people in the political world is that they want people to like them," Bush said. "On the other hand, I think sometimes I take kind of a delight in who the critics are."

Bush joins six other presidents who have twice won the magazine's top honor: Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower (first as a general), Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) and Bill Clinton (news - web sites). Franklin Roosevelt holds the record with three nods from the editors.

Kelly said Bush has changed dramatically since he was named Person of the Year in 2000 after the Supreme Court awarded him the presidency.

"He is not the same man," Kelly said. "He's a much more resolute man. He is personally as charming as ever but I think the kind of face he's shown to the American public is one of much, much greater determination."

The magazine gives the honor to the person who had the greatest impact, good or bad, over the year.

Kelly said other candidates included Michael Moore and Mel Gibson, "because in different ways their movies tapped in to deep cultural streams," and political strategist Rove, who is widely credited with engineering Bush's win. Kelly said choosing Rove alone would have taken away from the credit he said Bush deserves.

This is the first time an individual has won the award since 2001, when then-New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani was celebrated for his response to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The American soldier earned the honor last year; in 2002, the magazine tapped Coleen Rowley, the FBI (news - web sites) agent who wrote a critical memo on FBI intelligence failures, and Cynthia Cooper and Sherron Watkins, who blew the whistle on scandals at Enron and Worldcom

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 08:11:39 AM »
 :eh: :grumpy:

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 08:16:11 AM »
^lol... cosign

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 08:23:10 AM »
i think he earned it.

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 12:51:36 PM »
Why does this not surprise me?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Thirteen

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 12:53:58 PM »
no body is more deserving of this award than the W

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 12:59:12 PM »
Hell, he did make the news more than any other man this year...
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 04:48:09 PM »
no body is more deserving of this award than the W

lol your right because ironically you don't get this war for doing good things. just for doing things. 

In the meantime, the lessons Bush draws from his victory are the ones that matter most. The man who in 2000 promised to unite and not divide now sounds as though he is prepared to leave as his second-term legacy the Death of Compromise. "I've got the will of the people at my back," he said at the moment of victory. From here on out, bipartisanship means falling in line: "I'll reach out to everyone who shares our goals."
Whatever spirit of cooperation that survives in his second term may have to be found among his opponents; he has made it clear he's not about to change his mind as he takes on Social Security and the tax code in pursuit of his "ownership society." So unfolds the strange and surprising and high-stakes decade of Bush.

For sharpening the debate until the choices bled, for reframing reality to match his design, for gambling his fortunes—and ours—on his faith in the power of leadership, George W. Bush is TIME's 2004 Person of the Year.

what a pretigious award. lol

Thirteen

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 04:49:58 PM »
hey ant, no one likes a negative nancy

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 04:56:33 PM »
lol i'm only pointing out the truth.  ignorance doesn't get you very far in life.

Thirteen

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 04:59:43 PM »
lol i'm only pointing out the truth.  ignorance doesn't get you very far in life.

so pointing out the truth should let me get away with going to a burn ward and telling all the kids that they are fucking disgusting looking and make me want to puke

or going to the special olympics and laughing my ass off at the retards trying to compete and tell them what a bunch of mutant mongols they are

or maybe i should go to all the children dying of cancer and tell them to buy wigs because they are depressing little bald kids that are going to die in a few weeks

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
lol that makes absolutely no sense.. there is a big difference between being a realist and just being an asshole.  if u say kids at a burn ward look disgusting that is just mean since its unnecessary. lol all i did was quote the exact reason why GWB won this award, which was not at all flattering. 

and FYI Hitler and Nixon both won this award. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 05:07:20 PM by Ant »

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 06:20:46 PM »
or going to the special olympics and laughing my ass off at the retards trying to compete and tell them what a bunch of mutant mongols they are

lol

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 07:34:26 PM »
lol that makes absolutely no sense.. there is a big difference between being a realist and just being an asshole.  if u say kids at a burn ward look disgusting that is just mean since its unnecessary. lol all i did was quote the exact reason why GWB won this award, which was not at all flattering. 

and FYI Hitler and Nixon both won this award. 

stalin won it 2 times.

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 03:12:49 AM »

The magazine gives the honor to the person who had the greatest impact, good or bad, over the year.

Yup. He fucked a lot of shit up. Foreign Policy, the Ecnomy, the Bill of Rights, and of course United States' reputation in the world. He really DID make a huge impact.
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)