Author Topic: Classic albums since 2000  (Read 494 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Classic albums since 2000
« on: December 20, 2004, 05:46:45 PM »
I have been here since day one, and there have been a few classics released, but the thing is that since this is a westcoast board, most compair each classic to the Chronic, and expect everything to be on that level. They say that can't be a classic because it needs time. Well, I guess you can call me an old timer. I do remember though back in early 1993 when Ain't Nuthin  But A G Thang was all over the radio, and the CD was being called a classic at the early stages of it's release. Doggystyle was also considered a classic from day one. With all that said, I have lived though a few classic releases and you know they are classics the moment they are released. The Chronic, Doggystyle, Makaveli, Ready to Die, Illmatic, 2001 all of these were instead classics, hell between Biggies death and 2001, people were worried because there were no classic CDs being released, which was weird. So since 2000, since the younger folks lived through can remember rap music since then, what are some instead classics to you.

For me, especially listening to some CDs today and enjoying them as much as the day I bought them.

Jay-Z - Blueprint (production is just too good. I mean it's the best producted album since 2001.)

Nas - Stillmatic (what people are talking about now, Nas was saying shortly after 9/11 when people were flying flags. A classic pure hip-hop album)

Kanye West - The College Dropout (The best classic album since 2000 in my opinion. Production was almost as good as Blueprint, and lyrics, even though they were simple, just hit harder than any other album.)

Missing is Scarface - The Fix. I think it's a great album, 4.5 mics no question. But not classic. Close, but not quite there. The three up there are all classics. All of them were so good they changed hip-hop's face. Blueprint put the soul into hip-hop, and made sure Jay-Z would be known in hip-hop history. Stillmatic made it ok to be a hip-hop artist, with a real message and battle the mainstream. The College Dropout basically put conscience rap back into the mainstream. They changed the game, and proved to be classics. To you, what were classic albums since 2000.

davida.b.

Re: Classic albums since 2000
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 05:51:22 PM »
Ghostface Killah- The Pretty Toney Album

Last Emperor- Music, Magic, Myth

Almost classic:

Outkast- Stankonia
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 05:55:09 PM by david "Dirt Dog" a.b. »

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:47:42 PM »
There have been no classics since the year 2000.

The albums that are the closest to classics:

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientle
Eminem - The Marshal Mathers LP
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Nas - Stillmatic
Scarface - The Fix
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 06:59:01 PM »

Jay-Z - Blueprint (production is just too good. I mean it's the best producted album since 2001.)

Nas - Stillmatic (what people are talking about now, Nas was saying shortly after 9/11 when people were flying flags. A classic pure hip-hop album)

Kanye West - The College Dropout (The best classic album since 2000 in my opinion. Production was almost as good as Blueprint, and lyrics, even though they were simple, just hit harder than any other album.)

Missing is Scarface - The Fix. I think it's a great album, 4.5 mics no question. But not classic. Close, but not quite there. The three up there are all classics. All of them were so good they changed hip-hop's face. Blueprint put the soul into hip-hop, and made sure Jay-Z would be known in hip-hop history. Stillmatic made it ok to be a hip-hop artist, with a real message and battle the mainstream. The College Dropout basically put conscience rap back into the mainstream. They changed the game, and proved to be classics. To you, what were classic albums since 2000.

Jay-z and Scarface are pretty damn close...but they aint classics like Rass KassTP said above me..and Kanye's album is nowhere even close to Classic
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 07:18:48 PM »
If The Fix isn't a classic than neither is College Dropout.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

pappy

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 07:25:19 PM »
since 2000, i dont think we have had a classic.  There are some near classics tho

nas - stillmatic
jay-z - the bluepring
masta ace - disposable arts n a long hot summer
cormega - the realness n the true meaning

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 07:43:30 PM »
Jay-Z - The Blueprint

That's the only album I consider classic since 2000.

These come damn close:
The Fix
The College Dropout

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 08:25:06 PM »
i really believe if nas hadnt put matic on the end of "still", it would be compared to i am, and no one would be considering it a classic. why do i say this?

its not even better than lost tapes-if lost tapes isnt a classic, neither is stillmatic.
the best beat on the album is the intro.
braveheart party is one of the worst songs i have ever heard.
the album starts to fall off after 2nd childhood. if it wasnt for what goes around, i would stop listening to the album right there.
classics are timeless-i couldnt even listen to that album for 2 weeks. the only album with worse replay value was the black album.
classics are supposed to have impact.

supreme clientele isnt even better than ironman, and ironman isnt a classic either. people can say that sc birthed the blueprints production style, but im sure it wouldnt have been reproduced had it not been done for a rapper with a large mainstream audience.(if you notice albums like aziatic started showing up after the blueprint came out)

the fix isnt anywhere near classic...the diary is a classic

they felt since they gave jay 5 mics they had to do the same to nas and scarface
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:29:14 PM by smartass »
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 10:40:31 PM »
Fuck all this "Source"  whose a "classic "nerd wigger talk shit. My classics are MY choice, not because some bing-bing gave it 5 mics or because it has produced by Dr. Dre stamped all over it. You kids disgust me
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 10:42:03 PM by SicKmyDuck&LacKmyBills »
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 11:04:57 PM »
Sticky Fingaz - Black trash: the autobiography of Kirk Jones
and maybe Kanye West - The college dropout but I'm not sure about that one
and I dno but somehow I've always liked Xzibit's Restless  :o

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 02:57:15 AM »
I'd say Jay-Z's Blueprint and Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP are certainly classics. That's just my opinion though. Both were prime examples of how albums should be made and both created a mad buzz. And yes, The Real Slim Shady is a song for the pop chart. But do you remember another Hip-Hop song at the time that was such a huge world wide hit? I don't.

As for the other candidates...

Stillmatic? No, as it was said, the album falls off its flow towards the end. There are some classic songs on there though, like What Comes Around. Kanye's College Dropout? Maybe, I can't tell yet. We'll see how the album lasts in the years to come. Gotta say it's lookin good in my book though. Even though the whole LP doesn't turn out to be a classic in the long run, this too has some classic cuts on there, like Jesus Walks. Scarface? I can't speak on that, I never heard the whole thing. Never really got into Scarface. It's got some dope songs though. I Ain't The One is really good.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »
The Marshall Mathers LP and the Eminem Show are the only classic album since the turn of the century.

All the other classics like the one mentioned in the origional post represent a epoch in hip-hop that has came and went.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 08:44:07 AM »
There's been no classic albums in any genre since 2000.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

conor48

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Creeping On Ah Come Up..
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 10:06:06 AM »
Well I wouldnt consider it a classic but i think its easily on par with Stillmatic and College Dropout - Canibus-Rip The Jacker

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 10:44:42 AM »
There's been no classic albums in any genre since 2000.

That's when you know you've become old - you tend to think that the new music today is nowhere near old music quality wise. Imagine what somebody who grew up on 50 Cent, Lil Jon and Kanye West will think when those artists are considered "old" music.