Author Topic: Planet Asia - The Grand Opening  (Read 441 times)

G Funk Era

• Lil Geezy
  • Killa Cali
Planet Asia - The Grand Opening
« on: March 05, 2004, 07:21:35 PM »
The Skilled underground MC's long await solo is finally here. I'm rating these songs in relation to eachother, so if something gets a 10 its not a perfect song but one of the best on the album.  

1. Intro = Pretty Self Explanatory

2. 16 Bars of Death = 9/10 Tight song, Asia comes correct on this a good opening tellin niggaz to "Get'cha bars up!". The beat is real hard with a driving guitar throughout the track.

3. Right or Wrong = 9.5/10 A nice switchup from 16 bars coming with a cool melodic beat.

4. Real Niggaz ft. Ghostface Killah = 10/10 VERY nice song. The beat is sick and both Ghostface and Asia drop nice verses. Got a funny skit at the end too.

5. It's All Big = 5/10 Only throw-away track here. I think Asia was trying to score a club banger here but it just doesn't work.

6. Pure Coke ft. Martin Luther = 9.5/10 One of the first tracks I heard from this album and still one of my favorites. Bangin horn-heavy beat and a nice chorus sung by Martin Luther.

7. Hypnotized ft. Cecilie Davis and Crunch = 8/10 So-so song. Asia drops some nice rhymes but more of a luvvy duvvy song so came off as only average to me.

8. Paper Up (Hustler's Theme) = 10/10 Such an ill song. My favorite on the album. Crazy beat and Asia's flow is madd creative on this, he shows some nice vocal range too.

9. The Greatest ft. Rasco = 8.5/10 Not a bad song. Beat can get kinda boring, but Asia and Rasco still come tight.

10. Freestyle Interlude = 7/10 Just an interlude but kinda cool with Asia freestylin. Only a minute long so not too bad

11. Upside Down ft Goapele = 9/10 Great uplifting song, nice lyrics and a nice beat as well. Goapele sings the chorus well (who is signed to the same label as fellow underground group "Hieroglyphics")

12. Light Green ft Shake = 8.5/10 Asia drops some really nice lines. Beats kinda weird but not bad at all.

13. Summertime in the City = 9/10 Love the piano-type beat on here. Dope verses from Asia.

14. Swallow Dem Whole ft. Big Wig = Nice hard beat. Cool guestspot from the jamaican sounding Big Wig.

15. As Long as i'm Alive = 10/10 Great way to close out the album. A really nice beat and some extremely meaningfull lyrics from Asia as well.

All in all this album is practically flawless. Aside from one throw-away track Asia is dope on every song and this features some GREAT production, I definitely recommend picking this up. I'll give it a 9.9 out of 10.

PEACE
Representin the Bay Area Killa Cali

"Kicks to ya face, shots to the body that shake like the bass" - Masta Killah

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Re: Spice 1 - Black Bossalini
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 09:05:54 PM »
dope shit i am definitely gonna cop this album. best buy better have this shit (their website says they do, but my homeboy already checked on tuesday and they didnt have it)

G Funk Era

• Lil Geezy
  • Killa Cali
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 09:08:00 PM »
Yeah I got mine at bEst buy, I was just browsin the rows and was like SHIT saw THE GRAND OPENING for 12 bucks.
Representin the Bay Area Killa Cali

"Kicks to ya face, shots to the body that shake like the bass" - Masta Killah

JEMISON

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 06:32:50 PM »
I wasnt to impress in a few days I am going type up my review.  Off the top of my mind I play track #'s 3,11, and 15.  Sometimes a few other songs like "hyptnonize" and "pure coke".  I like the scratching at the end of "pure coke".  I thinks its mob deep "I keep a mic in my palm"

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 12:17:20 PM »
Man,It's All Big is an easy 9.5.

willie_d

• 'G'
  • You ready? Here come the pain!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 02:17:49 AM »
I just got this album last week and I was surprised.
Didn't expect much from it. But now I'll say it is one of the best albums in 2004!
It's no so much Asia's rapping, but more so the great beats. The album's got flavors for everyone. I'm glad I got this. His music keeps sticking in my head.
The only way you can fuck with me, is in a orgy.